Husbands don't understand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I must be one of the lucky ones :) my hubby can not do enough for my business.. I work from home and have done for the last five years... He decorated my nail studio while I was out one day, chose the colour and everything, took me shopping for furniture and built it all for me. He chats to my clients and brings them drinks... They all love him :) he has learnt to spray tan (very well) and he can gelish/shellac he loves looking at the nails iv done and is more than happy to do mine for me.....

So I guess they are not all bad or I'm just very lucky...

Hope you all get your guys trained up :) xx

My hubby's pretty supportive too as he also has his own business so he understands. He still makes me laugh when he says to me " are you out again tonight?" as if I am off on a jolly. I think it's because I love my job so much and have a lovely relationship with my clients that it is like meeting friends every evening for a chat. With the added bonus of getting paid!

I'm just in the process of setting up a log cabin in the garden which my hubby is doing for me.

I think he also likes me working evenings as he can watch what he likes on telly!

Stand your ground, start as you mean to go on, can you put the fridge in the shed? And could you move the table to a back wall and work with that space is left? Is it just nails your doing?

It's funny because yesterday we passed a pub and my other half said do you remember having a meal there and you saying about working from home, oh yes I remember that, that was over 3 years ago and he hit the roof having a right go that I can't settle always dreaming etc, well shortly after I lost my Job which was full time in beauty, I set up from home he was not supportive in anyway but I did it, I worked my arse off still do, he made it hard for me when I wanted to do training course's and invest in equipment. He has now realised the hard work I do and that I have to invest he is now after 3 years supportive. Says its the best thing I did. His mum was the same. He not only have I showed them but I stood my ground and got what I wanted in the end. Ignore your husband and do what you think is best good luck

I couldn't be with someone who didn't support me. That why I left my husband! He wanted me to work but be at home too but wouldn't let me spend any money on training for anything or even spend money on childcare!

I also don't get the whole "he lent me the money" thing. I always thought once you were married everything was shared. That's how I worked it but more and more people keep things separate I think.

If I ever find time to have a proper relationship with someone who actually doesn't leave the country for 3-4 months at a tine he would have to support me even if he didn't understand it.

I couldn't be with someone who didn't support me. That why I left my husband! He wanted me to work but be at home too but wouldn't let me spend any money on training for anything or even spend money on childcare!

I also don't get the whole "he lent me the money" thing. I always thought once you were married everything was shared. That's how I worked it but more and more people keep things separate I think.

If I ever find time to have a proper relationship with someone who actually doesn't leave the country for 3-4 months at a tine he would have to support me even if he didn't understand it.

I know where you are coming from, I thought that way too but I suppose I should have been careful of what I was wishing for, but after 18 years of marriage and leaving my home, family and friends. Coming to a strange country where I knew no-one it is scary thinking about making huge changes again. I am trying to prove to him that I will succeed but it will just take some time, and you know what, when I pay him back I will be able to say I did it all on my own. It is MY success and I will betwice asproud of my achievement.
Plus he has done a huge amount of work on building my studio, it looks out of this world and I cant wait to open the doors to paying clients so in one way he might sound a little strange but in other ways he does huge amounts for me so I am not really complaining.

It's a good thing he is that way, else I would just take him for granted:biggrin:

I left my career, family, friends and everything I knew to move to a country I had never visited, didn't speak the language of and really had no interest in at all to support him.

I'm now back home with my family and after 3 years of hard work I finally found my feet and I'm working towards a future for me and my kids doing something I love.

I've done more these past 7 years than most people do in their lifetimes. If you don't have someone encouraging you and supporting you you will struggle.

Au contraire, some husbands understand perfectly,

Even before I set up my salon I had the full support of my husband because I made it abundantly clear that this was going to be a proper job where I earned as much if not more than I had as an IT programme manager for a global engineering consultancy plc. His support has never, not for a moment, waned, and now my businesses earn more than he does.
There was never any question of it being a hobby business. We turned the spare room into a dedicated salon, and the route from the front door to it is clear of any household detritus, and looks elegant and professional.
There is not one single room in the house that doesn't have work stuff in it. We would love to have our guest room back, and our converted loft back too, but those are the sacrifices we have chosen to make to ensure the business is a success.
Even as I type now, my husband is creating a spreadsheet for all my products to be imported into Sage.
In time he will give up his well paid, but soul crushing, salaried job and join the business.

If you don't have 100% commitment from both yourself and your partner I can't see how you can fulfil your potential. You might earn a bit of money, true, but making it a full salary replacement business with someone sniping at you? Nah, not gonna work.

Hi
My table is a big six seater it is a nice looking table and does look nice in the conservatory, so i wouldn't be able to flat pack it as its too big and it is the main area where the family eat their dinner .
However i am only going to start off doing manicures and pedicures using shellac products, so i could just work with the table for a little while.
Once my husband see that i am getting more customers he might see my point and get a smaller table or one that i could fold down so i could get nail table in.
Thanks for the advice i will keep shellac and gel inside the house instead of the conservatory and just bring them out when doing a client x

my table is huge and seats 8 to 10!!....i had to take the legs off and store in a cupboard and the table top that also has drawers attached is against the wall with two cupboards in front of it!! its not practical but there was nowhere else for me to set up....we now all eat off our laps!!! xmas and birthdays we will put table up so can have family dinners. as long as you are professional and do a good job clients dont mind having to work around furniture!

my table is huge and seats 8 to 10!!....i had to take the legs off and store in a cupboard and the table top that also has drawers attached is against the wall with two cupboards in front of it!! its not practical but there was nowhere else for me to set up....we now all eat off our laps!!! xmas and birthdays we will put table up so can have family dinners. as long as you are professional and do a good job clients dont mind having to work around furniture!

After researching and looking at other people's threads, i have decided to use my kitchen and buy a portable table to put up when needed.
Looking at my set up of my home it may be best because to get to my conservatory people would have to walk through my living room. But as you come in my front door their is a porch then it's my kitchen. Also it's close to my downstairs toilet/sink. Therefore i wouldn't have the problem of people walking through the whole house and getting in the way of the family.
Once my business grows more then maybe i could then consider decorating a room or even spending more money on the conservatory to make it more suitable to work in as it does get very hot and i do have blinds up.

After reading all these apart from a few it proves that most men are like kids! They'll push is many buttons as we allow them to but deep down they're not all bad, we just have to nip the snide comments in the butt!

After reading all these apart from a few it proves that most men are like kids! They'll push is many buttons as we allow them to but deep down they're not all bad, we just have to nip the snide comments in the butt!

Time out on the Naughty step, minute for each year? Nearly an hour then:wink2:

Very true Sofia, we do need to know how to "manage" our "resources" but it can be tough sometimes especially when far away from loved ones

After researching and looking at other people's threads, i have decided to use my kitchen and buy a portable table to put up when needed.
Looking at my set up of my home it may be best because to get to my conservatory people would have to walk through my living room. But as you come in my front door their is a porch then it's my kitchen. Also it's close to my downstairs toilet/sink. Therefore i wouldn't have the problem of people walking through the whole house and getting in the way of the family.
Once my business grows more then maybe i could then consider decorating a room or even spending more money on the conservatory to make it more suitable to work in as it does get very hot and i do have blinds up.

glad you have got it sorted hun, if we want to work from home we figure out a way!!clients have to walk through my front room also, its not ideal but all i have and ive made everything as cosy as possible! i dont know about you but i just want to work and save until i can have my own salon, ive been going since january and im just starting to get busier now....on my quieter days all i want to do is nails!x good luck with everything

Hey,

Yes my husband was exactly the same. Don't worry though when you start bringing in the customer's he will soon listen to you, as did my hubby.
When/if you are looking for a new table, I would recommend Macy's. I bought my table from them to do all my work on, and have not had one complaint. You should check them out.

Thanks and good luck with your husband.

I'm mobile but I do have clients come to me if they live to far away for me travel. Hubby never moans and just goes off somewhere if I'm working at home. He wouldn't moan about it anyway cos I earn more than him lol! :) So what's his is mine and what's mine is my own ha!

I have to say my hubby has been amazing, before his health got so bad he used to come to the beauty shows with me, he always knew what questions I'd forgotten to ask, he does my tax returns always encourages me to do more courses and has been my model when I've needed to practice more times than I can count. He loves his pedicures, (on that subject I recommend the Bevely hills footie bath. it has a warm setting a vibration setting, the mains lead retracts, has a wire basket in side with handles for easy lifting of the disposable liners. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it's still performing just like new.)
Bless him, Paul has even had electrical facials and sported French manicured nails:D

Latest posts

Back