Husbands don't understand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oni

Reaction score
Hi i want to work from home so planning to set up using my conservatory.
I mention to my husband that i wouldn't be able to use dinning room table, which is already in the conservatory as it is wide.
And his response was sit at the end.
The thing is it takes up most of the room in the conservatory to be able to get a small nail table in?
The only way round it is to get rid of the freezer in the conservatory which he keeps fishing bait in as his hobby is fishing, and put it in a shed.
But his response was more money to pay out for a shed as we only got a small shed.
But i still feel it would be too cramped up with tables if he did get rid of freezer.

Last edited:
Not sure what system(s) you offer, but have you considered that the conservatory will not be a great environment for working with gels and/or Shellac as the natural light will cure them?

i work in my conservatory as my beauty room and do both bio sculpture and shellac with no problems at all......

my husband kept saying same to me, didnt want me to put certificates up etc but as time has gone on i have managed to put some up with blue tak and am working on getting them put in frames lol!! also i started with the dining table up and when husband realised didnt look very good he soon took it down!!now it is behind a unit but flat packed against the wall so i can now have beauty couch or tanning tent up too!

if you are going to be using gel in a conservatory make sure that you store gel in your house at night as the gel doesnt like too hot or too cold weather. when you are using the gel put lids on pots, dont leave it exposed to be cured

good luck xx

Just want to say even though my hubby hates the smell of L&P ( nose as sensitive as a bloodhound!) he has been very supportive. Our back room is going to have a duel use as a home salon and he's really into getting it sorted.
Also paid my deposit on my CND complete for me.
Took him time to come round to it but now he's as into it as me :)
Vicki x

Hi
My table is a big six seater it is a nice looking table and does look nice in the conservatory, so i wouldn't be able to flat pack it as its too big and it is the main area where the family eat their dinner .
However i am only going to start off doing manicures and pedicures using shellac products, so i could just work with the table for a little while.
Once my husband see that i am getting more customers he might see my point and get a smaller table or one that i could fold down so i could get nail table in.
Thanks for the advice i will keep shellac and gel inside the house instead of the conservatory and just bring them out when doing a client x

I'm keeping my nail table etc in my bedroom and just taking it out when I need it either in my Livingroom or kitchen depending who else is in the house at the time I know it will be a pain taking stuff out all the time and putting it away but I don't want to take over my house with a business hoping I do more mobile by going to people's houses just need to see how it pans out

I'm keeping my nail table etc in my bedroom and just taking it out when I need it either in my Livingroom or kitchen depending who else is in the house at the time I know it will be a pain taking stuff out all the time and putting it away but I don't want to take over my house with a business hoping I do more mobile by going to people's houses just need to see how it pans out

Thanks good idea never thought of storing the nail table and using other rooms in the house as the conservatory will be hot in the summer x

What kind of table u going get? X

What kind of table u going get? X

I have just been on ebay and there is a white fold down nail table for 60 pounds.
Probably go for that one to start with.
Also going off the subject a bit but what are you going to use for pedicures footspa like en supply with their course or a bowl.

I already have a foot spa and I intend to disinfect it after each use wot about u?

I already have a foot spa and I intend to disinfect it after each use wot about u?

After researching around on salon geek and asking others i have decided to use a foot spa as it keeps the water heated, and disinfect it after each use x

I seen the bowls with liners but I felt it was just more expense x

You girls are Lucky that your husbands are supportive, mine HATES the smell of Monomer, hates the fact that I have to spend time away from home doing nails or tans, hates if clients have to come to mine for treatments. he is now telling me that I am wasting my time and money on this lark blah blah blah. Its really difficult especially just starting on nails and still quite slow, I have to fudge the the times spent with clients when he asks else he tells me I am being stupid and not earning enough. He just doesn't understand that I need to hone my skills and practice, take my time and do a good job. I am starting to get flustered now if think I have taken too long worrying that he might ring me while I am still with a client. Oh dear, things must surely improve, I love doing nails and tans and would be very unhappy if were to give it up.What advice can my fellow geeks offer me. How do you give Little Lord Fontleroy a good kick up the bum. LOL

Oh that's a totally shame I'm not going to swear but u know what I'm prob thinking stick to ur guns tanfastic does he not realise that ur prob doing it for ur own self as well to make money x

These men need a kick up the you know what! Mine tried it to start with as he found increased childcare housework difficult to contend with but after talking about "when I get a job" for the past years he didn't have a leg to stand on and I do have quite a big mouth so he kept it shut!!
Remember the homes are half yours and you are all working + running homes to benefit your families xxx

Flip reading this thread you wouldn't think it was 2012. Makes me glad I'm single (probably why I am, cos I wouldnt put up with it!):D

It took my husband a few years to take me seriously. Used to think i did course after course and that i just liked doing courses for fun. Eventually he realised and took me seriously. Took a bit of time though!

Keep going ladies and prove them wrong. Some hubbys dont do well with change but im sure theyll cop on when they see your hard work.

Have to say my husband has been really good, considering hes the poor sod working like a dog, 6 days a week up in london doing a minimum 9 hour day, hes let me run with my business. He was a little skeptical at the start but thats my own doing as i have a habit of not seeing things through when life gets in the way. However im like a dog with a freakin bone when it comes to nails! I showed him my stall im getting ready for today and he told me hes really pleased for me and knows how hard ive worked and that i finally love what i do! Its helped ive financed the whole shabang on my own mind :)

Im in the middle of sorting my home nail studio and whilst hes a little apprehensive this side of my business will work hes let me do it. Well i say let, mores ive told him im doing it!!

Be confident in what you do for those having problems and hiccups and itll show them you can.

Love n hugs x x x

My partner was also the same, as I left a 30hr a week management job to start my own business, and I got so sick of the snide comments about money because I "didn't " have a job. He soon learnt shortly after one of my first booked out weeks, when I said I could not contribute the large sum of money I had earnt as I "had no job" . He has been fine with it since, even on my slow weeks, as I always keep myself busy, so if I'm not working, I'm cleaning or cooking or spending time with my daughter when she is not at school.

Sorry it sounds twisted but I am glad I am not the only one then. Bless, he does try to be supportive in his own way but has been very spoiled by first his mum then me. Thank goodness we never had any kids, that would have taken a huge chunk of his attention away, LOL

To be fair though, he did loan me the money for my nail course and some of the products to start up but I have to repay him, obviously I am ploughing everything I earn back in to products at the moment so I am a bit like Lanaxbeauty. I cant ever have a full day of bookings as it will detract from the Wife at home experience for my husband so I wont ever earn loads but as things get busier I will cetainly pay him back with a big smile on my face.

A huge thing in his favor though is that he has been turning one of our outbuildings into a FABULOUS studio for me. He has worked really hard on it and spent loads, 2 treatment rooms, huge reception area, kitchen, spa bathroom and cloakroom, So when it is finished it is going to be a dream. The lengths men will go to to get the smell of monomer out of the house. ha ha

He is great at the big things but the little things like a hug or telling you you have done well, not so much.

For better or worse hey,:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back