Hybrid gel polish vs traditional potted gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeMeMe78

Reaction score
Hi All,

my head is pickled with the choice available nowadays, been reaserching for weeks, you seriously could never be done buying!

Here is my dilema. I am self employed mobile Nail Tech, qualified 6 years ago, and recently decided to get back into the business. I def want to offer a Gel Manicure(i would be crazy not too), but i dont know wither to go with the trditional potted gel or opt for the new hybrid polish gel???? As i am self employed i only plan on offering the one service, as it is sooooooo expensive to start up and enrol in some cpd. I am aware there are differences in the 2, so what i am really looking for is, if you were only going to offer 1 which one would you choose and why?(bearing in mind that these hybrid polish gels now seem to be heading back to the more traditional gel formulas eg opi gel colour?????)

would appreciate any advise, many thanks in advance.

What do you mean by traditional gel? Like buff off gel?

More like OPI axxium potted gel I think.

Gel polishes. And Shellac. No pots.

And hybrid polish is Shellac only, the rest are gel polishes in polish-like bottles. Which system? Search forum and figure it out by yourself. Good luck with that :D

I carry shellac, gelish, opi gelcolor, orly fx, acg. And love them all, will see how it goes later, with color range, durability, popularity etc, and probably I will reduce to three lines only.

Are you going to be mobile or Salon based? If your going to be Mobile & only offer something like a hybrid polish, I dont see how you can charge a high end price (when Salons do it for £10 / £12). You simply wouldnt have enough to cover your petrol costs, the product & make a profit... Gels tend to last longer, so you charge more of a high end price making your journeys to clients more worthwhile.. At the end of the day everything basically is going to depend on whether what you do will cover your daily rental or petrol costs....
This is one of the reasons why I chose Bio Sculpture. At the moment they have a new minimal kit which is something around £145 to include training. (so long as you already have a manicure certificate)...

OP says she's mobile. Honestly, as a mobile tech, you should never compare your prices to salon techs, especially cheap ones. The only hybrid polish that comes to mind is Shellac, and no one in their right mind would charge 10-12 for that, especially if it's legit.

thanks for your replies. I am both mobile/home salon. have nvqs in both manicure/pedicure nail care and health, and artficial nail enhancements. Yeah, i was meaning the likes of cuccio soak off coloured gels in pots vs the new bottled hybrids 'applies like a polish wears like a gel' products, of which there are also many.

I have noticed that some have changed their formula again tho, so they are now claiming they are 'TRUE GELS'??? which would suggest to me that perhaps the durability isnt as good as a traditional soak off gel??? so why not just stick to the traditional soak off potted version in the first place, i may have just answered my own question! lol, who knows?!? its very confusing when you have to try and weigh up all the pros n cons and decide on a product/system to use, as it is for everyone, no doubt!

Mobile therapist/nail techs are charging around £20 for say "gellure Polish" f&p in my area. As they say hybrid gel polishes cost more than traditional soak off coloured potted gels. its a mine field! lol

bugger it you'll get ordinary polish and you'll like it!!!!!!!!!! :lick: .thats a wee joke btw!

Convenience and color range? I have potted soak off gels from OPI and Star Nails, and I have Gelish and mani q gel polish. It's pretty convenient to have gel polish as it comes in a bottle with its own brush as oppose to potted gels where I keep separate brush for separate brands, plus a stir stick. Starts to be a hassle after awhile having to clean and maintain all these brushes as I do enhancements as well :lol: Plus people do ask for things by name. I wear the lesser-known ones such as Mani Q and Eco as my clients are already familiar with OPI colors and Gelish.

the most popular seem to be shellac and gelish

thanks so much.

ok, for those who provide both the coloured soak off gel(potted) and the gel polish, if you were only allowed one or the other which would you have?

Then, for range/affordability/durability/application, from your previous aswer, what brand?

i think i am almost there??? then its just to find training hahaha!

Hi, I'm same as you, I qualified in 2005, had a 2 year break and Ive decided to come back to the industry. I heard about the gel polishes and that is what brought me back.
I researched and settled on gelish. Besides a basic plain colour application you can also offer French manicure, Hollywood toes, glitter tips, rockstar nails, nail art so there is a bit of variety to offer clients
Debbie
P.s I'm mobile too

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

thanks so much.

ok, for those who provide both the coloured soak off gel(potted) and the gel polish, if you were only allowed one or the other which would you have?

Then, for range/affordability/durability/application, from your previous aswer, what brand?

i think i am almost there??? then its just to find training hahaha!

Most likely the Gelish as its the most profitable for me :lol:

thanks very much all!!!!!!! esp chickafish for taking the time to post loads on my dilema!!!!!!! looks like it gel polish in a bottle then, damnnnnnn its well expensive!!!!!!!!! hahahaha thanks again mush love :Love:

the new bottled hybrids 'applies like a polish wears like a gel' products, of which there are also many.

I have noticed that some have changed their formula again tho, so they are now claiming they are 'TRUE GELS'??? which would suggest to me that perhaps the durability isnt as good as a traditional soak off gel??? so why not just stick to the traditional soak off potted version in the first place, i may have just answered my own question! lol, who knows?!? its very confusing when you have to try and weigh up all the pros n cons and decide on a product/system to use, as it is for everyone, no doubt!

that is a lot mixed and a bit untrue info

first, there is and there was only one 'applies like a polish wears like a gel' hybrid - shellac
none of the companies created similar product

short time later started gelish as I recall - gel polish, and next companies started similar gel polish lines in bottles, including opi, which along with soak off color gels in pots axxium started to sell gel polish in bottles
why? they changed formula - applies easier, soak off easier, last as long - I suppose they will discontiue axxium some time in the future

gel polishes are more convenient, they apply much better, thinner and look more like polish

hth

We're all here to help :) Try not to think of it as money lost. You'll be making it all back and then some :) its best to slowly build up your collection. Start off with 8-10 colours. Try to see what's the colour trend with your clients plus a white and sheer pink for French.

Most likely the Gelish as its the most profitable for me :lol:

Agreed. Seems like resonable choice - price, color range, quality.

that is a lot mixed and a bit untrue info

first, there is and there was only one 'applies like a polish wears like a gel' hybrid - shellac
none of the companies created similar product

short time later started gelish as I recall - gel polish, and next companies started similar gel polish lines in bottles, including opi, which along with soak off color gels in pots axxium started to sell gel polish in bottles
why? they changed formula - applies easier, soak off easier, last as long - I suppose they will discontiue axxium some time in the future

gel polishes are more convenient, they apply much better, thinner and look more like polish

hth

Actually, Gelish came out before Shellac. It was the first.

Ok, thanks :) I do not recall the dates, and it was not about history :) but still nice to know. I guess I spotted first shellac then gelish, and I remebered it that way.

I use CND Brisa and Shellac. If I could only chose one I would choose Brisa (buff off gel is pots and some bottles). The reason I would choose this is because I would be able to offer more types of treatments with one system. With a gel polish like product you would only be able to offer the overlay/polish like application. I think it would be better to pick a product that your client base would be more attracted to. You'll get the most bang for your money that way :)

Latest posts

Back