Hydration of the nail plate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise Manby

Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to see if anyone can sort this out for me. I was reading the thread for 'soaking or not soaking'.
When hydrating the nail plate during a manicure (rubbing oil into) in my opinion this is detremental to the polish. As we wil remove any traces of oil before we paint (i know I dehydrate as much as poss to get the colour, esp french to last a long time), so in manicures I always apply solar oil after Ive painted, around the cuticle. Unfortunately the nail plate doenst really get hydrated but its a choice between hydrated nails or long lasting colour (and I know what the customers always want!). Sometimes I try to rub a little oil into the base of the nail where less chipping may occur, but not to the tip.:irked:

Opinions welcome!

Im slightly confused....or rather thick...LOL:lol:

Do you mean you dont apply oil on the nail before enamel is applied??

I thought this is ok to do,as the nail is in fact dead,as its keratanised....soits the new nail tht grows up from the matrix that needs to be nourished...or am i wrong...help!!

So its fine hun to do that and apply oil at the end...after all a well prepped nail plate will have better enamel adhesion surely??:hug:

i think i understand what your saying, we have been shown to apply oil to the nail and buff then hydrate the nail and polish, which to some could be classed as a waste but it looks good and does help the nail abit before its covered in polish, as long as the base , colour and top coats are all applied correctly and enough time between coats is allowed for drying, then the polish should last a long time, as soon as the customer leaves the salon its up to them to abide by the aftercare offered to them, if they dont go by it then the polish wont last a long time...Lucylou

I learn't that by rubbing oil into the nail plate that it pushes the air out of all those little pockets so the polish doesnt bubble later. The residue laying on top of the plate should be removed then base coat applied etc as normal.

HTH

Ok if memory serves me right, (and if I am wrong someone please correct me) solar oil will penerate easily into the layers of the nail plate, and the more you use it the further it is pushed into the lower layers of the nail plate. Using scrub fresh to remove the oil that is sitting on top of the nail plate will only remove the residue from the top of the nail plate, not the lower layers where the oil is needed. When finished with your polishing you can use the solar speed spray which will help oil them aswell.

I do the same as you louise....always apply oil to the cuticle at the end ofter polish so that the polish quality is not compromised. i feel the nail beds get enough moisture earlier on during the manicure with the hand and nail massage cream.

May be its abit late for me now as iv been doing homework on the PC nearly all day but im totally confused now lol
I always clean all the nail plate before polishing then apply my solar oil at the end.
Are you saying when you have completed the manicure apply oil to plate n buff in.Then wipe with scrub fresh apply base coat.polish,top cot then oil again please?

Im gona bed now as im totaly brain dead with writing so ill check this thread tomorow.

Good night all catch up tomorowxxx

Ok if memory serves me right, (and if I am wrong someone please correct me) solar oil will penerate easily into the layers of the nail plate, and the more you use it the further it is pushed into the lower layers of the nail plate. Using scrub fresh to remove the oil that is sitting on top of the nail plate will only remove the residue from the top of the nail plate, not the lower layers where the oil is needed. When finished with your polishing you can use the solar speed spray which will help oil them aswell.

Spot on Sheryl

as oxygen inhibits the drying of nail polish it is also ok to apply after the polish has been done as it will speed up the drying process and penetrate instantly through the polish.

ok well at least I know that there are others who do the same! Cool. I'll just carry on, I always tell them to buy some oil so they can rub it in themselves at home once they have taken the polish off. However I try to persuade them not to paint at all when the have a luxury man/ped as I always rub in loads of oil.
Thanx girls

I know what you mean, it does seem a tad hypocritical to "hydrate", then strip that hydration out before applying polish.

There are quite a few things that do my head in, this is just another one of them.:eek: I hope my confusion helps:)

This is a bit of an assumption on my part, so if I'm wrong please correct me.
I think that when we dehydrate the nail, it is only superficially (ie removing surface oil). When I apply oil in a manicure I do it early on, before exfolliation, massage, etc so I think it has time to absorb into the nail plate.

Does anyone know how long it does take to penetrate the nail plate?

Your right, but one note, solar oil can take hours to make it to about layer 50 in the nail plate, you can speed it up by a good massage of the oil onto the nail plate (increasing circulation moving things about faster) but if you apply solar oil then SF within a short time (say less than 20 mins) you will more than likely remove all the solar oil as well.. as SF penetrates to 25 layers (if scrubbed in correctly) :)

Hi, I just wanted to see if anyone can sort this out for me. I was reading the thread for 'soaking or not soaking'.
When hydrating the nail plate during a manicure (rubbing oil into) in my opinion this is detremental to the polish. As we wil remove any traces of oil before we paint (i know I dehydrate as much as poss to get the colour, esp french to last a long time), so in manicures I always apply solar oil after Ive painted, around the cuticle. Unfortunately the nail plate doenst really get hydrated but its a choice between hydrated nails or long lasting colour (and I know what the customers always want!). Sometimes I try to rub a little oil into the base of the nail where less chipping may occur, but not to the tip.:irked:

Opinions welcome!
When you apply oil during the manicure it not only moisturises the nail plate but the surrounding skin also, when it comes to applying enamel you remove any oils from the nailplate then apply your basecoat etc, this doesn't remove the oil from the surrounding skin and this continues to work.
If your clients buy cuticle oil to use at home they will see a huge improvement on the condition of their nails in between treatments, this will, in turn, make your job a lot easier when it comes to manicuring their nails.

.. as SF penetrates to 25 layers (if scrubbed in correctly) :)
But wouldn't that only apply if your are prepping for enhancements not for a natural nail polish?
As you want the oil in the natural nail but just want the surface residue removed for the sticky base coat to have a good base, so there is really no need to scrub in correctly just for polish?

Good point sheryl, i just swipe to remove before polish...no need to scrub at all.
I don't do alot of natural nail clients..but my last french polish client (with the most amazing long nails) still does not have a single chip at all after 3 weeks..so i do not think a dehydrated plate is the answer for longevity at all..i did use creative uv dry which i like alot..but on the otherhand a enhancement clients polish was worn after 4 short days, using the uv coat..but she is one of 'those' clients:rolleyes:.

But wouldn't that only apply if your are prepping for enhancements not for a natural nail polish?
As you want the oil in the natural nail but just want the surface residue removed for the sticky base coat to have a good base, so there is really no need to scrub in correctly just for polish?

ahhh u have a point there luv!, I dont work with polish (havent for years so am fully in the habbit of totally scrubbing) I use coloured gel for more perminant manicures so I still scrub the nuts off nails lol But yes.. ur right a quick swipe definately wouldnt dehydrate down to that magic 25th layer.

Oh and... I LOVE your new avi that spider is awesome!

Latest posts

Back