Hydrogen peroxide dilution with different peroxide volumes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leena212

Reaction score
Hi.
I am currently doing my hairdressing nvq level two. We are told to dilute different strengths of peroxides with water. And I dont like the idea of mixing tab water to peroxide, as in peroxides deionized water is used. I would like to know how to mix different strengths of peroxides to achieve different volumes. How can I get 20V if I have 40, 30 and 10V.
How to achieve 15% . I can not spend buying all percentages of peroxide so pls let me know which volumes to buy and how to mix them to achieve different volumes/percentages . I shall be grateful for your help. xx

Well for 20vol you would mix equal parts of 40vol & water, 30vol would be 3parts 40 x 1 part water, 10vol would be 1 part 40 x 3 parts water x

Well for 20vol you would mix equal parts of 40vol & water, 30vol would be 3parts 40 x 1 part water, 10vol would be 1 part 40 x 3 parts water x
Thanks Edvina. I appreciate your response. But I don't want to use water to dilute peroxide. I just want to mix various strengths of peroxide to achieve a different one. I have this formula in my level 2 book as well. x

To get a 20vol mix equal parts 30vol and 10vol. That would be technically correct but I'd be worried the 30 would overpower the 10. So id do 10vol with a splash of 30 to get 20vol. To get 15% which i think is 50vol?? Ish. You'd need to get a 60vol 18% peroxide and mix it with 40vol. Bare in mind all this peroxide intermixing isn't recommended you'd be better off just buying the different peroxides, its not that expensive.

Basic maths. Try to learn the equation as it will always be in the exam somewhere on level 2.

Equal parts 30vol and 10vol make 20vol.
1 part 30v + 1part 10v = 40 divide by number of part units, so 40 divided by 2 = 20vol.

Or 1 part 40vol add 2 parts 10vol.

So, 40+10+10 = 60 divided by 3 parts = 20vol.

1part 40vol plus 1part water (0 vol) = 40+0 = 40 divided by 2 = 20vol.

Also practice using percentages.

1part 12% plus 2 parts 3% = 12+3+3 = 18 divided by 3 = 6%

The problem with diluting with distilled water is that it works mathematically, but in practice it makes the mixture too runny and so you're more likely to get bleeding. You can also mix with a basic conditioner in place of water as that will be 0% peroxide, the same as water, but won't make the mixture as thin.

1part 30v plus 1part water or conditioner (0vol) = 30+0 = 30 divided by 2parts = 15vol

-----------------------------------------------

Beware !!

You cannot increase the strength of peroxide by mixing different strengths, only dilute it. So, 3 parts 10vol will only ever be 10vol. It will not be 30vol.

18% or 60vol is only sold in a few warehouses these days but it used to be widely used back in the eighties...! Modern tints and bleach formulas don't require the use of high vol peroxides.

Finally, some tints are oil based so their developers are also oil based. If you diluted their developer with water, you'd get a strange emulsion that won't mix properly and compromise the service.

Hope this has helped?

Can I mix cream peroxide with liquid peroxide (from the pharmacy)? I want to do some experiments and I need 60 volume developer. My idea is to mix equal parts 6% cream developer and 30% liquid peroxide.
20110823122355perhidrol-30.jpg

I'm really surprised that you can buy 30% peroxide from a pharmacy. I thought EU laws prohibit the sale of high strength peroxides to the public?

Regardless, if you're just experimenting on swatches, work away and see what happens. Definitely, don't use it on a live client, including yourself. Far too volatile and dangerous and could cause serious chemical burns!

Basic maths. Try to learn the equation as it will always be in the exam somewhere on level 2.

1 part 30v + 1part 10v = 40 divide by number of part units, so 40 divided by 2 = 20vol.

The problem with diluting with distilled water is that it works mathematically, but in practice it makes the mixture too runny and so you're more likely to get bleeding. You can also mix with a basic conditioner in place of water as that will be 0% peroxide, the same as water, but won't make the mixture as thin.

1part 30v plus 1part water or conditioner (0vol) = 30+0 = 30 divided by 2parts = 15vol

Beware !!

You cannot increase the strength of peroxide by mixing different strengths, only dilute it. So, 3 parts 10vol will only ever be 10vol. It will not be 30vol.

18% or 60vol is only sold in a few warehouses these days but it used to be widely used back in the eighties...! Modern tints and bleach formulas don't require the use of high vol peroxides.

Finally, some tints are oil based so their developers are also oil based. If you diluted their developer with water, you'd get a strange emulsion that won't mix properly and compromise the service.

Hope this has helped?
Totally agree with everything you said here. Learn your percentages if there's a chance you are only able to purchase a 9% or 12% your up the creek without a paddle.

Definitely, don't use it on a live client, including yourself.
Of course!

What do you think about mixing cream developer and liquid peroxide? Is it a good idea?

Hope this has helped?
Hey AcidPerm many thanks for such a detailed answer. I'll note the formula down. xx

Beware !!

Hope this has helped?
It means if I mix 1part 20V and 1part 10v =30 divided by 2 = 15
I will get 15vol. I am getting there I am so happy and excited.. Its because of your help :)

To get a 20vol mix equal parts 30vol and 10vol. That would be technically correct but I'd be worried the 30 would overpower the 10. So id do 10vol with a splash of 30 to get 20vol. To get 15% which i think is 50vol?? Ish. You'd need to get a 60vol 18% peroxide and mix it with 40vol. Bare in mind all this peroxide intermixing isn't recommended you'd be better off just buying the different peroxides, its not that expensive.
Sorry I meant to say 15V. Thanks for replying :)

Well done, you've got it! :)

Also, practice with percentages as most developers are sold by percentage and I've a feeling that the exam uses percentages, but it might do both.

Next step...get yourself a subscription to https://www.mhdacademy.com/

It's like having a really good textbook and the best youtube videos rolled into one at your fingertips.

Of course!
What do you think about mixing cream developer and liquid peroxide? Is it a good idea?

Cream developers contain added stabilising ingredients so adding liquid peroxide will make it a very runny consistency and might not mix very smoothly when added to bleach or tint. If you are experimenting on swatches, try a small batch to see what happens?

I saw a bottle of 18% liquid peroxide sold a few years ago in a small independent hairdressing wholesalers in the U.K. but I don't know whether you can still buy it over there? At the time, I wondered what anyone would use it for. I think it was the same place where I overheard the very young assistant tell a customer that if she mixed peroxide with crazy colour, it would turn it into a permanent colour. :confused: :rolleyes: She obviously wasn't a colour expert...!! ;)

Well done, you've got it! :)

Also, practice with percentages as most developers are sold by percentage and I've a feeling that the exam uses percentages, but it might do both.

Next step...get yourself a subscription to https://www.mhdacademy.com/

It's like having a really good textbook and the best youtube videos rolled into one at your fingertips.
Thanks AcidPerm. I am practicing with both percentages and volumes and would get the subscription as well. You can suggest me useful things anytime. Thanks once again :) I dont know how to award someone trophy on this site xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back