Hydrogen Peroxide dilution

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wandering Woman

Reaction score
I am training and I know you can dilute the different strengths of hydrogen peroxide to suit what you need.

My first question is - does it have to be distilled water, or would tap water be ok to use?

My next questions are: what are the ratios to dilute the following:
9% to 3%
9% to 6%
12% to 3%
12% to 6%

Thanks!

I am training and I know you can dilute the different strengths of hydrogen peroxide to suit what you need.

My first question is - does it have to be distilled water, or would tap water be ok to use?

9% to 3%
9% to 6%
12% to 3%
12% to 6%

Thanks!

I was told normal water is fine.
But dont expect to get a 12% to a 3% ever, only ever dilute in emergency's and all I know is u can add 10 ml of water and take out 10 ml peroxide, but it's not adviseable as results can't be guaranteed as much as using the correct strength. Xoxo

9% to 3%
9% to 6%
12% to 3%
12% to 6%

Thanks!

to work it out to subtract what you want from what you've got and use the equals as the parts of water...i'll do the first 2 for you and then you use the formula and work out the others

30 - 10 = 20 ... the first number is irrelevant in the ratio, the second is the parts of peroxide, so 1 part, and the 3rd is the parts of water. so 1 part 30 vol with 2 parts water is 10 vol

30 - 20 = 10 .... same applies, so 2 parts of 30 vol and 1 part of water gives you 20 vol.

give the other 2 a go yourself, if you dont quite understand (im not great at explaining things) il try and help further :)

9% to 3%
9% to 6%
12% to 3%
12% to 6%

Thanks!

Have a go.. Tell us what you think and we will guide you in the right direction.
Little hint..Think of maths and percentages..
For example..getting 12% to 6% .. 6% in half of 12% therefore you would need equal parts (half and half) of water to peroxide. So if you needed 50ml of 6% but only had 12%, you would mix 25ml of 12% and 25ml of water..
And as tommee said, tap water is fine :) xx

to work it out to subtract what you want from what you've got and use the equals as the parts of water...i'll do the first 2 for you and then you use the formula and work out the others

30 - 10 = 20 ... the first number is irrelevant in the ratio, the second is the parts of peroxide, so 1 part, and the 3rd is the parts of water. so 1 part 30 vol with 2 parts water is 10 vol

30 - 20 = 10 .... same applies, so 2 parts of 30 vol and 1 part of water gives you 20 vol.

give the other 2 a go yourself, if you dont quite understand (im not great at explaining things) il try and help further :)

OK - so:
12% to 3% (40 - 10 = 30) 1 part peroxide to 3 parts water
&
12% to 6% (40 - 20 = 20) 2 parts peroxide to 2 parts water (ie equal amounts!)

Is that correct?

OK - so:
12% to 3% (40 - 10 = 30) 1 part peroxide to 3 parts water
&
12% to 6% (40 - 20 = 20) 2 parts peroxide to 2 parts water (ie equal amounts!)

Is that correct?

exactly :)

Thank you all for your help!

That formula has made it really easy for me to understand - it will go in my 'important information' folder! :biggrin:

I thought 'watering' it down could be used as routine! I know better now though ;)

Thank you all for your help!

That formula has made it really easy for me to understand - it will go in my 'important information' folder! :biggrin:

I thought 'watering' it down could be used as routine! I know better now though ;)

I think in habia theory they explain it as 'routine' but it will affect your results somewhat...similar to using 'wholesalers own' peroxide instead of the brand of your colours...

I think the only difference there is that your insurance will cover you when watering down peroxide but not using the cheaper brands...I could be wrong though so don't hold me to it :)

hey all,
First of all thank you for the info above . I have a test on Tuesday and I need to know this , now it makes a bit more sense .

All over the other dilutions are now easy with the equation work but I wondered if you could help me with 12% 40vol to 9% 30vol as I get 3 parts 40vol to 1 part water (40-30=10 ) but according to my books its 2:1
any help clearing that up would be great.

Thanks Steph

hey all,
First of all thank you for the info above . I have a test on Tuesday and I need to know this , now it makes a bit more sense .

All over the other dilutions are now easy with the equation work but I wondered if you could help me with 12% 40vol to 9% 30vol as I get 3 parts 40vol to 1 part water (40-30=10 ) but according to my books its 2:1
any help clearing that up would be great.

Thanks Steph

Surely 2:1 of 12% would give you 8%? What book is it in?

yeh you can see my confusion.
it was in my tutors book she copied it on the board and we wrote it in out notes my classmates wrote the same not sure what book it was from :(
I'm now thinking maybe she copied it wrong on the board.
so would you agree that it is 3:1?

Thank you for reply

just been told that it treat it the same as 9% to 6% as its dropped one level so it's 2:1

Nooo. That's bonkers maths!

so what's the correct answer? thanks

You were correct in the first place.
To dilute 12% to make 9%, the ratio is 3 parts hydrogen peroxide to 1 part distilled water.

Just have stock!:p
It's an inexpensive essential.
When you add water, your mix becomes less creamy, not the ideal consistency.
It's all too easy to add too much water, or not enough, giving a poor result!

Thanks tbh I will never use this as technically its a no no as it's not in manufacturers instructions so shouldn't really do it but I need this for my last E assessment on Tues. Red star defo will make sure I have stock lol
Again Thank you for reply I feel so much better now .

If I'm stuck I just add half volume to half peroxide like 10ml of water 10ml of 20 will give me 20ml of 10% I would not try break a volume down further than that i wouldn't imagine it being reliable

im still trying to work this out haha! However I'm sure you're all qualified by now :0) Ive just finished colour! so hard..

Just don't do it!!

Latest posts

Back