Hypoallergenic colours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess2511

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a potential new client looking to book after lockdown. She has mentioned in her message she has previously had a reaction to colour so has been having.. her words ‘allergy free stuff’ obviously I would be carrying skin test out before offering a service, been a wella girl for years, so need some advice and wondered what you guys found good to work with and good for grey coverage. Thankyou all

There’s really no such thing as ‘allergy free’ so you’ll have to be extremely cautious.
Some hair colour products sold via health food shops claim to be hypoallergenic but be aware that ‘hypoallergenic’ is a marketing term not a medical definition. It implies that the product is less likely to cause allergies, but it’s definitely not allergy free.

Clients who are allergic to PPD are sometimes ok with Wella’s ME+ tint.

I previously had a client who was sensitive to oxidised colours but fine with semis/direct dyes. I could use bleach to lift and I used a purple direct dye diluted with conditioner to tone.

A word of caution! A client with a known allergy to tint, is likely to become sensitive to other colouring products over time. You might find that the client is fine for the first one or two sessions but could have a severe reaction on the third session. So ALWAYS insist on a patch test before every colour service for that particular client, even if you’re just doing a root retouch.

Some hairdressers take a risk and use foils arguing that the product won’t touch the skin. This is a very dubious strategy because you’ve gone ahead knowing there’s still some risk attached. Unfortunately, your insurer may decline to cover you if the worst happens and the client suffers a reaction and it could prove a costly mistake.

Thankyou for you’re reply, yes a patch test would be carried out before each time she had a colour service.
It’s just an all over warmer 5/6 base colour she wants to cover grey.
I was more looking for different products and colour lines That other people have used.
But Thankyou for your advice

Hi all, I have a potential new client looking to book after lockdown. She has mentioned in her message she has previously had a reaction to colour so has been having.. her words ‘allergy free stuff’ obviously I would be carrying skin test out before offering a service, been a wella girl for years, so need some advice and wondered what you guys found good to work with and good for grey coverage. Thankyou all
It's definitely worth doing a patch test with the koleston perfect me+
I always used the kp innosense on clients who experienced sensitivity or allergic reactions to standard tint, this always worked for me, but obviously it's been reformulated now. 5/07 or 6/07 would be a nice choice, it still gives great white coverage and adds nice rich tones.

It's definitely worth doing a patch test with the koleston perfect me+
I always used the kp innosense on clients who experienced sensitivity or allergic reactions to standard tint, this always worked for me, but obviously it's been reformulated now. 5/07 or 6/07 would be a nice choice, it still gives great white coverage and adds nice rich tones.
Thankyou very much I will give this a try x

Latest posts

Back