Hypoallergenic nail products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails_by_madsl

Reaction score
I’ve been a nail tech for almost a year now, I’ve been doing my own nails since October but had gel nail extensions on and off since March 2019. In January 2020 the skin under the nails of thumbs started to look flakey and then it began to feel like a callus. I was using ibd hard builder gel. I took off the nails because it was too itchy.

I went to cosmoprof and got CND Brisa gel, did a fresh set, but the rash came back in a few days back so I took them off.
So then I tried acrylics (haven’t done them in forever on myself, but I made sure to get as little product as possible on myself), but I had to take them off the next day because my fingers became super swollen and painful.

Does anyone know of Polygel or gel that’s good for allergies/ sensitivities. My fingers don’t react to gel polish, only sculpting gels and acrylics. I miss my extensions so much. I always make sure to wipe off the dust and cure for the proper time. I don’t have an apt until May to test for allergies.
Thanks!

IkoniQ are hypoallergenic gels. They have a product called Polytek.
Have you been tested for your allergies?

They don’t ship to USA, I’ve been in contact with them already. I have an appointment in May for allergies.

I think most, if not all nail enhancements contain a form of methacrylates.
That’s what I’m allergic to so for me, it’s important to carefully check the ingredients rather than rely on terms such as hypoallergenic, which is pretty meaningless to an allergy sufferer.

I can only use ordinary nail polish now.

I think most, if not all nail enhancements contain a form of methacrylates.
That’s what I’m allergic to so for me, it’s important to carefully check the ingredients rather than rely on terms such as hypoallergenic, which is pretty meaningless to an allergy sufferer.

I can only use ordinary nail polish now.

Yes, but you can't be allergic to all methacrylates. You may have one of more allergies to specific methacrylates but there will be others that you don't react to. The point of hypoallergenic products is to use ingredients that are very low risk and because of this, many of those with allergies can use hypoallergenic products happily.

Of course there are cases, especially when someone has developed allergies to a lot of ingredients - usually because they developed an allergy, changed product, developed a new allergy and changed product, etc. Each new allergy makes the immune system more sensitive and it is possible, although relatively rare, that someone becomes so sensitive that they can't use even hypoallergenic products without a reaction.

Light Elegance.

IBD builder gel caused sensitisation for me too.. never had an issue until I used that.. very annoying!

I'd argue that CND is the TRUE hypoallergenic builder gel brand. Their gel formulation was specifically patented by Pamela H. Lilley. Douglas Schoon also serves as CND's chief scientist ...actual scientists. So I think they know what they're doing.

More info on their patent here:

https://patents.justia.com/patent/6599958
Their patented gel formulation is patented and specifically low skin sensitive; you will NOT find isolated HEMA (the skin allergen) in the formulation. While Ikoniq only reduces the amount of HEMA(isolated chemical is the sensitizing agent) by the required amount to consider it hypoallergenic. For percentage amount and more info here:

https://nailessentialz.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=74&chapter=1
Also look into the European Comission Cosmetics for current industry standards.

This whole forum is like propaganda for Ikoniq which I find totally inappropriate and unhelpful to the nail tech industry.

Not to mention: Ikoniq is wildly overpriced while CND is reasonable. It's also low to no odor, easy to work with, shines bright.

As for OP, if you're allergic to CND's Brisa formulation which I'd argue is the most hypoallergenic gel brand on the market, I'd assume you're allergic to most of the the gels as well.

If you are interested in reverse allergy treatment via re-exposure allergen, a form of immunotherapy message me.

I was personally able to cure my allergy. Bottom line: I laid off all gel products for over a year.

Attachments

• Patent Info.jpg
    Patent Info.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 0
Valerie,
I need to correct you on several points.

1. IKONIQ has never claimed to be to only company that develops hypoallergenic products. In fact, for many years I administrated the largest Facebook group for nail product allergies and regularly suggested CND, LE and IKON.IQ as three hypoallergenic brands.

2. IKON.IQ's hypoallergenic products do not contain HEMA in any amount(!), or ANY ingredient included in the standard dermatologists methacrylate patch test given to Nail Techs with allergies. Nor do these products contain any ingredient that has been proven by published medical case study to cause allergies when used nail products.

3. In comparison with other hypoallergenic brands, the IKON.IQ prices in cost per gram are the lowest. A new hypoallergenic gel polish line due for release soon, will reduce the price further and be even more affordable for students and newbie Nail Tech's, especially in these hard economic times.

4. I know Jan Arnold and Doug Schoon personally. We have met numerous times and all have a mutual respect for each other based on the contributions each has made to the nail industry.

Given the enormous increase in nail product allergies, we would welcome and encourage all companies to develop hypoallergenic products and also to provide excellent education.

We believe in free choice and that competition is healthy. There is space in this enormous market for every good brand.

Valerie,
I need to correct you on several points.

1. IKONIQ has never claimed to be to only company that develops hypoallergenic products. In fact, for many years I administrated the largest Facebook group for nail product allergies and regularly suggested CND, LE and IKON.IQ as three hypoallergenic brands.

2. IKON.IQ's hypoallergenic products do not contain HEMA in any amount(!), or ANY ingredient included in the standard dermatologists methacrylate patch test given to Nail Techs with allergies. Nor do these products contain any ingredient that has been proven by published medical case study to cause allergies when used nail products.

3. In comparison with other hypoallergenic brands, the IKON.IQ prices in cost per gram are the lowest. A new hypoallergenic gel polish line due for release soon, will reduce the price further and be even more affordable for students and newbie Nail Tech's, especially in these hard economic times.

4. I know Jan Arnold and Doug Schoon personally. We have met numerous times and all have a mutual respect for each other based on the contributions each has made to the nail industry.

Given the enormous increase in nail product allergies, we would welcome and encourage all companies to develop hypoallergenic products and also to provide excellent education.

We believe in free choice and that competition is healthy. There is space in this enormous market for every good brand.
Well put! I agree with all this and more companies should follow this standard in my opinion.

There is definitely a change happening in the industry and more brands are becoming increasingly hypoallergenic. The customer seem to be demanding this change.

I was doing a quick search to find the ingredients included in the standard dermatologists methacrylate patch test but failed to find a list. Would you happen to have this information or point me to a website showing this please?

io
Well put! I agree with all this and more companies should follow this standard in my opinion.

There is definitely a change happening in the industry and more brands are becoming increasingly hypoallergenic. The customer seem to be demanding this change.

I was doing a quick search to find the ingredients included in the standard dermatologists methacrylate patch test but failed to find a list. Would you happen to have this information or point me to a website showing this please?
i am interested as well. And i agree - CND goes agains IqonicIQ and opposite. Who is right here?

Latest posts

Back