Hyponychium receding... will it grow back?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mittens

Reaction score
Hi all!!

I found Salon Geek while googling for help about fingernails and I already love this place, in particular how helpful the community is here. You folks are great!! I've already learned so much from just browsing the forums.

I'm hoping to get some help with my index finger hyponychium. Mine seems to be receding. The area of contact between my nail and finger seems to be decreasing and I think it's causing my nail to grow more and more bent, as if it wants to become an ingrown nail or something. I'm not sure if hyponychium is the right name for it, but this is what it looks like...

nails.jpg

The left one is how it should normally look I guess. My fingernail looks like the one on the right...no exaggeration. I'm not a nail biter so I'm not sure why it's happening. Maybe I use my nails to pinch/pull things too often (much worse than opening cans of soda) and it's coming off? I have no idea :( The free edge is really bent and I think this is causing it.

What you have is called onycholysis.
"Onycholysis is a nail disorder. It is characterized by a spontaneous separation of the nail plate starting at the distal free margin and progressing proximally. The nail plate is separated from the underlying and/or lateral supporting structures."
It could be caused by a trauma (hitting it somewhere, or opening soda cans with it), or by over filing the surface of the nail thus making it weaker, or there could be a fungus. Best thing you could do is visit a dermatologist, to rule out the existense of fungus, and cut your nail short, so it does not get hit or caught anywhere. If you don't have an infection, it will go back to normal soon.
HTH

What you have is called onycholysis.
"Onycholysis is a nail disorder. It is characterized by a spontaneous separation of the nail plate starting at the distal free margin and progressing proximally. The nail plate is separated from the underlying and/or lateral supporting structures."
How very technical lol! Looks like you may have a bit of onycholysis.....give us a bit of background....have you had nails on or simply natural nails that have gone a bit pete tong?

Latest posts

Back