I’m leaving, how do I tell her?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misshappy

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Advice needed...
I currently work as a beauty therapist within a salon, my boss is an absolute babe, actually she’s the best & this is why this is so hard..
I’ve found a lovely cabin to rent , in an amazing area & the couple renting it are lovely also.. anywho I now have to tell her I’m leaving, i feel sick at the thought and I know she will be deverstated. She’s become a good friend and someone who really appreciates me, she will always send over texts of thank yous and when we’ve had a busy crazy day she’ll always add on more wages and even a cheeky bottle of prosecco.
BUT I really want to go solo & be my own boss, doing my own treatments how I like to do them etc. But how the hell can I tell her?! Any advice?
It wouldn’t be so bad if we didn’t get on but we do... I know this is the right choice, but I feel so awful

Please help or send prosecco..!

Just be honest and open with her and tell her how much you appreciate her as a boss and maybe give her a gift if you are close enough for being such a good boss

Hi geeks,

Advice needed...
I currently work as a beauty therapist within a salon, my boss is an absolute babe, actually she’s the best & this is why this is so hard..
I’ve found a lovely cabin to rent , in an amazing area & the couple renting it are lovely also.. anywho I now have to tell her I’m leaving, i feel sick at the thought and I know she will be deverstated. She’s become a good friend and someone who really appreciates me, she will always send over texts of thank yous and when we’ve had a busy crazy day she’ll always add on more wages and even a cheeky bottle of prosecco.
BUT I really want to go solo & be my own boss, doing my own treatments how I like to do them etc. But how the hell can I tell her?! Any advice?
It wouldn’t be so bad if we didn’t get on but we do... I know this is the right choice, but I feel so awful

Send her a card and a bottle of wine or flowers thanking her for everything you have learnt from her and say you are moving on to pastures new on x date. That’s it. It doesn’t always have to be a formal letter or chat. But think about your future and wanting a letter of recommendation/good reference in case you need to get a job again.

But also, bear in mind that the clients won’t just appear for you, it can take a long time to be full time when starting from scratch. You need to be secure financially before you off and leave your job.

I think you need to be honest with her.
Definitely soften the blow with a small gift. Start by thanking her for all her support and how much you’ve enjoyed working for her etc. but that you feel the time has come for you to challenge yourself a bit further.
Once you’ve made your mind up, say your piece but don’t feel the need for endless justification.
Also, whilst she is probably a good friend, it’s never a good idea to discuss your future business plans in any depth with a potential competitor!

Hi geeks,

Advice needed...

I have recently just had to do a very similar thing and I can completely feel your pain! I only left two weeks ago! Be open and honest and explain you haven't taken the decision lightly and it's been a very difficult one to make but you hope she understands that you are just bettering your career. When it comes to your career you have to be a little selfish, but bite the bullet and go for it because I can assure you once the words I'm leaving comes out your mouth you will feel instant relief! Anything good never came easy! Good luck! Xx

I have recently just had to do a very similar thing and I can completely feel your pain! I only left two weeks ago! Be open and honest and explain you haven't taken the decision lightly and it's been a very difficult one to make but you hope she understands that you are just bettering your career. When it comes to your career you have to be a little selfish, but bite the bullet and go for it because I can assure you once the words I'm leaving comes out your mouth you will feel instant relief! Anything good never came easy! Good luck! Xx
Also, I got her a bunch of flowers and a card thanking her on my last day. I didn't get her a gift when I handed my notice in because I thought it could appear as though I pitied her being without me and that could offend someone! Haha x

Let me give you the point of view from the other side. I have a relationship like this with one of my team, my assistant manager. I adore the ground she walks on, we have seen each other through a great deal of life together and she has been with me from being a student. The day she hands her notice in I will break my heart, but, she is an amazing therapist and deserves the career she wants and I know one day she will leave, this is the nature of things. I always tell my team when you are ready to leave, leave well, do not close doors behind you. If you leave a company with grace, doors will be left open, over the centuries I have done this job I have had many therapists call to ask if they can come back because they didn't like their new job.

Just pick a sensible time to talk to your boss, the end of the day is good, there will be tears and she won't want everyone else to see this. Prepare what you are going to say in advance and just tell her gently, she respects you and will want the best for you, but she will be upset at your loss. And this too, shall pass!.

This happened to me - I was worried about telling her, but it was fine. She understood that I had my own life to lead. A good boss will understand that their staff are not committed to them for life, and should want the best for you. As the saying goes - if you love someone, let them go! :)

Plus, as someone pointed out above, it's in both of your interests to keep it amicable and leave the door open, because you never know what might happen in future! I ended up going back to work in salon almost 10 years after I first left it!

Any updates? Did you go for it?! :) xx

Thank you so much for all your replies... i did it! I told her, she was absolutely gutted... after a week of asking me to stay she’s now come to terms with it. Feels like a massive weight off my shoulders xxx

Well done! Pastures new await....!

Thank you! So excited for the future! She’s already said if I needed extra work I’m always welcome back xxx

Latest posts

Back