I’m not good at acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRosexxx

Reaction score
I’m feeling so down in the dumps and fed up. I qualified in acrylics in May, and haven’t done them a lot since, not back to back anyway. The odd set here and there (I work in a salon so do other treatments too so not always available) and I had a set in yesterday. My boss wants me to charge full price now..... (not comfortable with this) anyway the girl yesterday was lovely, suffered with anxiety and she seemed happy with her nails, and the colour choice (I wasn’t a fan) she complained saying some tips didn’t fit right, the colour is patchy(glitter on top of a colour), they look grown out, and two have chipped.... very upset about this as I spent so long on them. She said I was lovely but wanted a re fund which is fair enough!!! I just feel deflated. Will I ever improve😢 or should I just give up. Second complaint to my boss about acrylics now. It’s the only service that seems to be letting me down 😭 I enjoy doing nails so much but I want to let it go because I’m Clearly not good at acrylics!!

Hi, please don't be despondent! Acrylic nails are an art form and it sounds like you haven't had enough exposure to clients to really perfect your skills. It's one thing passing a course but you need to build up your treatment experience to reach a professional standard. You state that you qualified in May but haven't done that many treatments. Can you get some models/friends/family to model for you and get some developmental feedback from your manager to help you progress and build your confidence?

I’m still working to qualify (student nail tech - fully qualified remedial and pregnancy massage therapist; beauty therapist and RN - nails will be my “side hustle” 😅). I feel you! I outright suck at acrylics and want to learn to slay on this service. You’re way ahead of me here in skills, but is the constant advice from our teachers of value? Encouraged to get the “creepy fake hand”with replaceable nails and just practice practice practice and then ask friends and fam to let you practice on them until you build up that confidence and skillset?

I've been doing nails for 3 yrs now and I've never been able to get the hang of acrylics...sometimes they look ok..other times they look horrible. Usually horrible. .im taking a class in January to help me get the technique down pat! I'm going to go with hard gel tho..no smell and from what I was told just as durable as acrylic. Its a 6 hour class and I told the woman whom im taking the class that I don't care if it takes me the entire 6 hours, I want to leave being confident in building a beautiful structured nail. She said it will probably take the entire 6 hours. Im good with that.
Have patience and practice! It's not a technique that can be learned quickly. If you can, try to sign up for a one on one class to help you learn the technique. I made the mistake of trying g different products to try to learn to create a nail..stick with one product..not a cheap one. I've decided to stay with young nails because of the great reviews.
Good luck! I know your frustration because that's where I'm at right now.

For people who have a hard time getting the powder to liquid ratio right, a hybrid product may work. My shoulder is a wreck from years of hand filing so having a smooth surface is best for me.

I use Tammy Taylor Sculpt and Gelish Polygel. The beauty here is that the squeezable (from a tube) product does not set until you have perfected the look and placed in a lamp to cure. Very little perfecting needed. And, no odor.

Like hard gel, Gelish Polygel has to be removed manually by filing. Personally, I hate that so don’t use this product often. Really, only for a darker pink. TT Sculpt is soakable after taking down the bulk.

I live in the US, so there may be other European brands that are just as lovely to work with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back