I’m self employed can I hire an apprentice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
For the past 3 years I’ve been renting a room within a salon and really built up my clientele and would like to hire a little help. I want someone who I can mould and teach the way I do things and then eventually get them to take over at this salon whilst I work at another location.
I want to pay them an hourly rate and I sort all the stock/bookings and everything they need. Where do I stand with insurance, if it’s an apprentice will I need to be with them at all times? When it comes to my self assessment how does that work for both myself and then?

thanjs in advance

Hi The Secret Beauty,

Apologies for the month later reply :)

To be able to take on an apprentice you will need to be classed as their employer and will need employers liability insurance, PAYE and Account Office Registration Number.

As you don't own the salon you will need to agree with the owner to having an apprentice working in the salon as they will also need insurances, and health and safety certificates.

In regards to being with them at all times, that is a requirement until they have completed the course, there are day release options where the apprentice attends a college or similar for one day a week which will give you the opportunity to complete other business.

You can find more information on how apprenticeships work and what is involved in them on the Saks Apprenticeships website Employers Guide to Apprenticeships for Hairdressing, Barbering, Beauty and Nail Services Apprentices.

I hope this helps.
Chris

Hey everyone!
For the past 3 years I’ve been renting a room within a salon and really built up my clientele and would like to hire a little help. I want someone who I can mould and teach the way I do things and then eventually get them to take over at this salon whilst I work at another location.
I want to pay them an hourly rate and I sort all the stock/bookings and everything they need. Where do I stand with insurance, if it’s an apprentice will I need to be with them at all times? When it comes to my self assessment how does that work for both myself and then?

thanjs in advance
Absolutley i am a sole trader and just took on a apprentice contact MGET they will get you started x

They will enrol in tafe 1 day a week and you need to train them for min 15hrs a week.. and add them to your insurance.
I have mine doing front desk until she learns the basics of how a salon runs.

Latest posts

Back