I am a bit upset

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 60877

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I have moved to Bournemouth almost 15 months ago from London. Unfortunately I haven't been able to build my clients at all. My daughter of 13 had been suffering from depression and was cutting herself because bullying and family problems with her auntie , my son found the move traumatic and couldn't settle into the new school plus I have got a 2 yrs old son.
Now that things have gone much better I called up the council to ask them if i could turn one of my room into a beauty room. The guy said that there are so many people that do beauty/nails in Bournemouth that I would probably end up with very little clients and he suggested to look into laser therapy for removing wrinkles, tatooes. I wanted to specialize in nail l & p .
What do you think I shoud do? Listen to him or enter a market that is so saturated here?
And by the way because of some planning permission I wouldn't be allowed to use my home for my beauty business. I have a big house and a big drive but because a stupid agreement with a lord so many many years ago no house in my road or I think Talbot Wood area can't set up a business from home.
xxx

Sounds like you're having a hard time :( Hope things start improving for you.

Could you try starting off as mobile?

Who was the guy at the council? Surprising of him to give advice like that! Is he in the industry at all?

Restrictive covenants are quite common on residential property. Either rent a room in a salon or go mobile.

Sorry to hear what your going through life is **** sometimes. but you will get there in the end it's a crossroads but you will turn in the right direction. just listen to your intuition. X

Do you have any mates in the area?
If not put the word out on here, local supportive geeks and a chin wag will soon get you thinking of your possibilities. X

It sounds like you have hit the bottom so now the only way is up, try and go mobile, do you think you could do that?
These things make us stronger so hang on in there xxx

How about trying to work half day for a salon in town and that way you get known by the residents and also gain experience of what the clientele like in the area. If going mobile works better becoz of your son and other children perhaps it might be more flexible.
So sorry to hear you had a rotten time.
Keep the faith and good things happen to those who wait.
Xx

Beauty at your finger tips!

Talbot Woods - nice place to live :)

He is right though, Bournemouth IS saturated. I'm about 10 miles from bournemouth and my town is saturated too :( When I started there were only two people in my town that did nails! its only that i've been going about 10 years now and built a good base, it would def be tricky to start now. But not impossible, I'm not trying to put you off.

Is the mobile thing something you could consider? Would get round the problem of not being able to work from home.

There are plenty of people doing nails but not that many mobile, actually... Bournemouth has a large elderly population and I'm sure mobile would be very popular with them, and with lots of people for different reasons.

Sorry your situation has been getting you down. xx

Thank you very much for your replies. Yes it has been quite difficult but things are getting much much better. I have got a friend that trained as a beauty therapist and now is working in a nursery because of lack of clients. I met another one that is concentrating on face painting only. I really don't know maybe I should give it a go. I don't want to waste anymore money in training. xx

I've worked alongside hairdressers who have failed to build any sort of clientele, where I've built a huge one. It's not a lack of clients that causes it. It's often down to other factors entirely.
An elderly population can present a good opportunity, primarily for people who are available during the day. A nail tech who can only work evenings may well struggle with that type of client demographic, whereas in a city full of young professionals, daytime nail techs would suffer.
Another persons failure shouldn't ever put you off. Maybe she just wasn't that good?

Hey im not to far from bournemouth about an hour away. I hope things start to turn around for you. Is the school able to offer counselling for your 14 yo? Dont give up on your dreams! Even if you struggle maybe look for part time work else where in a pub or super market, you may be able to draw in clients from there xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry to hear that things have not been good for you. I hope they get better soon.

I think you should go for it, you wont know until you try and youll always wonder if you could have made it work. Im mobile and love it as iv young children and can work around them, my clients love it as its convenient for them...maybe that would be a good option for you?

Let me know if you do decide to go for it, one of my nail clients is moving to bournemouth in a few weeks and id love to be able to pass on details of a nail tech (depending on how far you are of course :) ) x

Latest posts

Back