I am done with the hairdressing trade, I'm off!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLou

Reaction score
Hi all geeks, as above I've had enough of this game, I have had so much bad luck within this industry the past year, last Thursday I had another load of bra luck/rubbish hit me, so that's it, I've decided I'm off to re train as something else. I have no idea what yet tho haha and I have to carry on through out the busy Xmas period but I'm sick of it now. Not so much the actually job itself but all the crap that goes with it now. Have any of you re trained and if so what have you become? Was it a good choice? I will stay on here tho as I love salon geek :) xxx

Hi all geeks, as above I've had enough of this game, I have had so much bad luck within this industry the past year, last Thursday I had another load of bra luck/rubbish hit me, so that's it, I've decided I'm off to re train as something else. I have no idea what yet tho haha and I have to carry on through out the busy Xmas period but I'm sick of it now. Not so much the actually job itself but all the crap that goes with it now. Have any of you re trained and if so what have you become? Was it a good choice? I will stay on here tho as I love salon geek :) xxx

My sister is going to re train in accountancy after been in the hair industry for 20 years! She's excellent at maths though lol, but she's the same sick of it now x

Try not to feel too disheartened.

I actually think it's a good idea to retrain for a second or third career during our working life. It helps keep things fresh and interesting.

Also, you can continue to cut hair for friends/family if you want to keep your hand in.

The world's your oyster.

See what courses your local colleges are running in the new year. Job hop a bit. See what appeals.

I've gone back to uni to do a science based degree to see where that takes me...academia hopefully but I'm open to anything of interest with good hours really.

Im only 22 and have retrained in business management and now work in an office job! I get annoyed with things fairly quickly. Starting accountancy course p/t next year :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ahh well that's funny two of you have mentioned accountancy, that and bookkeeping is what I have been looking into myself. I quite enjoy doing my own books keeping a check on my figures and I have interest in business so I'm looking into it.

May I ask you/and your sister lol how you got our head around which course to do?!

Looking at it, it's going to be expensive and long winded so I want to make sure I choose the right courses, as I've only ever been on hair this is all so alien to me, not to mention again trough reading they advise you get a job over getting the qualification?!?!?

I've read quite a bit tho so could have that wrong.

There are so many course out there now but I don't want to fall into the trap of re training for something where that job is not safe for many years, but thinking this one is pretty safe.

Thanks geeks I will keep my hand in and I'm going to keep hold of my mobile clients as they have stuck with me through thick and thin plus I don't want to completely loose my skill.

You've all made me feel more confident in my change Of career thanks xxxx

My sisters starting a 3 year course - other than that I don't know too much, apart from she'll be doing mine lol! X

You can always keep ur hand in whatever u retrain to do even if u just keep it in untill u decide if ur happy with whay u have retrained as. Just see hairdressing as ur part time job whilst studying. I wish u the best of luck! X

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Aw thank you geeks ❤️❤️

Yes I will keep my hand in I've spent years getting to a good level I hairdressing so can't completely throw it a away, I'll just keep my nice private clients to help me survive will I train up.

Spent the past two days looking at all the course wow fish out if water!! Starting to all make a bit more sense now. Emailed a lady who provides trainning with my questions, hoepfully I'll hear back soon and in January I could be on my first steps to my new career! It's going to be a long road but I already feel quite excited about it all 😊

Hi there, I've done it the other way round to you! I was (and still am) an accountant working part time and needed a change so retrained as a beauty therapist.

My advice (in terms of qualifications) is to do an AAT or CAT qualification. This is the first level of the full accountancy qualification, and is 4 or 5 exams (from what I remember). It will allow you to work as a bookkeeper, but means that if you want to go on to be a fully qualified accountant you only have to do the further two levels (another ten or so exams), rather than starting a whole new qualification. It took me in all three years to qualify as an accountant working full-time and going to college at the weekends.

Any other questions, please ask, and more importantly good luck!!!

Lucy x

Hi Miss Lou Lou

Sorry your fed-up xxxx

Just wanted to show my support.

I hope you find what you want to do and are happy x x x x

Love K xx

I think people get fed up sometimes in every profession, but there always new things to try.

Sorry I have ink just seen the latest replies, thanks so much for the support geeks 😘😘

Lucy thank you so much for that, that is wry helpful to me, it's so out of my area of expertise lol

So from what you've said I don't need to go to university to scone an accountant, I can just do this over the years through college? If so that is fantastic! I have been looking at a course run independently which is from January for 36 weeks I believe then do the next level in September.

May I ask why you decided to have a change? Did you end up hating or just wanted to change things up a little?

I think my main reason is that this seems to cover a lot of bases so if I wanted to get an admin type of job this ticks most boxes if I didn't want to stick to accountancy or bookeeping but also you seem to get a decent hourly rate...would you agree?

How is the beauty going? Are you still trainning or doing your own thing now?
Xxxx

Hi Lou,

No you absolutely don't need to go to university to be an accountant!

So the way it works is that there are two main companies that pretty much everyone uses, Kaplan and BPP. They are expensive, but they basically get you through the exams with the highest success rates, and then you start work and realise training as an accountant and actually working as an accountant are two very different things! So you end up ignoring/forgetting a lot of what you learnt which is why it doesn't matter that it's done so intensively.

They have colleges all over the country and all levels can be done through distance learning as well (although I wouldn't advise that for the higher levels).

I trained as an accountant as it was seen as an 'acceptable' or 'appropriate' job in my family's eyes, but my heart was never in it. Then I had a couple of health problems and realised life is too short to spend the next 30 years of my life being miserable at work!

I can't lie though, it's been a good discipline to learn and I think it's helpful whatever you go on and do. You can earn a decent wage as a bookkeeper (in London it's approx £15 per hour) and obviously more as an accountant.

I've just finished my level 2 and 3 beauty therapy and it's scary starting from the bottom again, but as the song goes 'if you never try, you'll never know'!

I should also say it's one of the few professions that seems to suit part-time or flexible work well. So if you have kids (or want to) or only want to work part time and still do some hairdressing, it's not usually a problem.

Lucy x

Latest posts

Back