I am so upset

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the h*** are you like girl!!! You're a walking (errr.........sitting) disaster! Hope Geeg's advice works for you..........definately worth a go.

Chin up, mask and bubble wrap on;)

Dellie

geeg said:
The law requires that ALL activator sprays contain virtually the same ingredients ... only the smell varies from system to system. So the comment from one person above baffles me somewhat??

I can assure you that, with all other factors being equal (amount of spray, ventilation etc.) my reaction varies enormously from one brand to another.

I have read before that all activators are virtually the same, I have also read somewhere that all resins are virtually the same. It makes me wonder how some of the bigger brand names justify their prices. The company I trained with charge approximately three times more for their activator than the company I now buy from. There is no difference in the performance of the products (apart from my alergies).

Also, if "activator sprays contain virtually the same ingredients ... only the smell varies from system to system" , what is the problem in mixing and matching according to personal preference?

Hope you're feeling better now Debs..... Let us all know when you have tried out any hew techniques and if you were still affected.

All the best
Carol

Debs said:
I have spent all last night in my local A&E department getting treatment for an allergic reaction to Fabric# activator.
I couldn`t breathe and thought that was my lot.
I really don`t want to give it up and I`m gonna try and wear a mask and have my extraction unit higher. I know this has probably been asked before but is it possible to use the brush on activator with build so I don`t have to use the spray activator? This is my only chance left open to me to be able to continue with it otherwise I have to give it up altogether.

Gosh Debs, that's aweful,

I cannot believe what I have just read - :|

I have always used Fibreglass System and have recently switched to Fabric. Before I NEVER used a spray activator, it was ALWAYS brush on. A few reasons why because one, I suffer from Asthma in the summer months and two, sometimes you can get quite a bit of waste in spraying.

I know you might not belive this but, recently I suffered a bad burning chest, aweful cough and for a week now I have been using my ventolin! :mad: this has now turned into a cold a LOADS of congestion. The reason I am answering is because I never suffer from coughs out of season and very rarely get colds! It seems such a coincidence and think people should be aware of spray activators.

Thanks for the tip on not using the spray activator. I don't think I will use this, just incase! hope you get the same result as I don't want to stop using Fabric either!

Lynn :cool:

glynis said:
I can assure you that, with all other factors being equal (amount of spray, ventilation etc.) my reaction varies enormously from one brand to another.

I have read before that all activators are virtually the same, I have also read somewhere that all resins are virtually the same. It makes me wonder how some of the bigger brand names justify their prices. The company I trained with charge approximately three times more for their activator than the company I now buy from. There is no difference in the performance of the products (apart from my alergies).

Also, if "activator sprays contain virtually the same ingredients ... only the smell varies from system to system" , what is the problem in mixing and matching according to personal preference?
Well love , the keyword here is virtually......lol.......
Yes all resins are virtually the same, all EC based, but it's the quality of the ingredients that makes one resin better then another......
The same goes for Activators, they all have virtually the same key ingredients to make the molucules to their stuff, but it is again the quality and purity of those ingredients , that determine the price....

Then there is the quality of the packaging, cheap low end of the market or the higher end of the market....

Take the blast spray activator for instance..............
A much finer mist, due to the better desing of the spray bottle for one.........
The liquid it self has smaller molecules and gives with the correct dosage of spray, to get the requierd effect........polymerisation.......

Now I ones ran out of blast spray and used a normal activator................and thank god tried it out on my own nails............well I hit the roof..........the heat was so fierce......The spray mist was not as fine as the blast mist and not tuned to be used with Farbic#...Also the vapours, would have knocked an elephant of his hind legs.........But you wouldn't have known to look at the mist..............
So if a system is developed, by a company that has it's own laboratory you can be sure that it has been developed to be used safley and most efficiently , within it's own system products ...but it probably wont work as well or as efficiently if it is mixed and matched with a different branded system..............And probably wont preform as well..............

Just the same as L&P, you wouldn't mix and match them either..............

Monomers are all virtualy the same, but hey we all know that they are not.....
because if they where, we could mix and match them too..............

I take on board all of your comments Ruth, and agree. My question is, why is it "bemusing" that I react to some activators and not others?

I was 'bemused' or baffled as I said, because I wondered if someone had developed another activator that I didn't know about!! Quite simple really. I wasn't doubting what you had said, if that was the way you were thinking.

I know one company was still trying to get away with selling Trichlorithane 1.1.1 as an activator when it has been banned (pity because it was a fantastic activator). There are some unscrupulous people out there you know, and it interested me to hear you comments.

As a manufacturer, I am pretty well aware of what is required by law, and also what is being developed and Ruth's comments are very sound and accurate. Perhaps it is the amount that the various sprays deliver that is the determining factor with you, or the actual 'perfume' which the activator contains (if you can call it that). Although ingredients can be the same, the formula can vary where there is more of one ingredient in one than another. So many factors to consider.

Kim said:
........ and have been sneezing and have had a blocked up dose ever since! Won't blame Fabric# yet, but I intend to do a set on myself next so I will be aware of this......

Well I have done a set on myself and I am sneezing and 'blocked up' again I don't feel like I have a cold just can't stop blowing my dose!!! AND I took the activator out into the garden and held my breath when I sprayed (taking Ruth's good advice a bit far!!!). :lol:

Does anyone else have this problem (as opposed to poor Debs problem?)

I suffer from Rhinitus which in my case means that almost everything from detergent to perfume to dust to nail products tends to make me sneeze and my nose to run like a tap.

I take one antihistamine in the morning before I do any nails and it has solved the problem. It doesn't make me sleepy and it does de-sensitize my 'schnozzle'!! But if I don't take it in the morning ... I am bad all day. Could this be you?

geeg said:
I suffer from Rhinitus which in my case means that almost everything from detergent to perfume to dust to nail products tends to make me sneeze and my nose to run like a tap.

I take one antihistamine in the morning before I do any nails and it has solved the problem. It doesn't make me sleepy and it does de-sensitize my 'schnozzle'!! But if I don't take it in the morning ... I am bad all day. Could this be you?

Oh yes, it sooo could be - I take antihistamines sometimes in the summer for sneezes and rashes. It is definitely worth a try. But I will get a decent mask as well. I think someone asked earlier on here about the Creative pink masks - are they dust or vapour masks - can someone shed some light on this one?

Thanks, again, Geeg

Thats an interesting comment Geeg, I have never been irritated like that before but now that I`ve triggered off something I just may need it in the future!!!!!!

Ok, Gigi, maybe I was being a little over sensitive :o .

You could be right that the perfume or quanity of the various ingredients in different products affects me. I know its not the quantity of spray, because that's always the same.

The smell of the activators varies wildly from one brand to another, and this can be witnessed by the amount of nose fanning clients do! My salon is, and always has been, very well ventilated. But the first few brands I tried still stunk the place out.

Kim said:
Oh yes, it sooo could be - I take antihistamines sometimes in the summer for sneezes and rashes. It is definitely worth a try. But I will get a decent mask as well. I think someone asked earlier on here about the Creative pink masks - are they dust or vapour masks - can someone shed some light on this one?

Thanks, again, Geeg

Hi babe,
Well if you want to use a mask, then make sure it is a vapour mask and not a dust mask...........
The creative pink ones are dust mask, they do not have a carbon filter in them.....So they are not effective against vapours only dust particles..........
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back