I am so upset

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Debs

Reaction score
I have spent all last night in my local A&E department getting treatment for an allergic reaction to Fabric# activator.
I couldn`t breathe and thought that was my lot.
I really don`t want to give it up and I`m gonna try and wear a mask and have my extraction unit higher. I know this has probably been asked before but is it possible to use the brush on activator with build so I don`t have to use the spray activator? This is my only chance left open to me to be able to continue with it otherwise I have to give it up altogether.

Ack - that sucks!

Whelp... if you do have a reaction to spray activators, you will have a reaction to all spray activators.

I just discussed this with Gigi and we came up with a couple of solutions:

1- you can use the brush on blast with Build (just never The Spray Blast with Boost)... but there are 2 potential problems. One is that it may take slightly longer (and I mean slightly) to cure, but that shouldnt really be too much of a problem. Two is that you may have problems with your brush stiffening up quite quickly (though it shouldnt be too much of a problem as you are not trying to sculpt with it as you would when you are applying Boost). To work around this, I would have two or three more bottles of Brush on Blast. That way you can rotate them. By the time you get to the first bottle again, your brush will be soft.

2 - You can try to skip the Build, and go straight to Boost, but do so in thin layers to prevent cracking.

Let me know how you get on.

I was trained by Supernail (Backscratchers). I thought all was lost when I developed a severe reaction of their spray activator. I kept going and trying different brands as well as increasing the ventilation in the salon. I had a continual cold and cough and often lost my voice!! The reaction was certainly worse with some brands than others.

After a few weeks (and a good deal of money) I discovered an activator distributed by Nail Order. I have no reaction at all with this one and I wouldn't use anything else now. Goodness only knows what damage I did myself during those first few weeks.

Obviously I do not know whether Nail Order activator could be used with the rest of the Fabric# system, or whether it would work for you. I also know that manufacturers recommend that you do not mix and match products from different systems.

Sorry to hear this Debs, but hey why not do this...........................
Apply build much thinner and let it air dry......Do this 2x...........
I know it takes a bit longer to set but it will set...adds maybe 10 minutes to your application time............

Brushing on the brush on blast with the build,..........
But you will still need good ventilation, even if you don't use spray activators.......
If you are going to use a mask, use a vapour mask, a dust mask willl not do much.........But a vapour mask will filter the vapours.............

Switching activators.????.well blast spray is desinged to work with the fabric# system, and is specialy designed to work with build..........Build is of a different concistency to any other resins I have tried...............So I would not mix and match........
But also, if your ventilation is poor, then you will become sensitised to other activators over a period of time........... As there has been a trigger being pulled now...........

HTH

Thanks for your kind thoughts guys, and I have to say I`m not ready to give up yet so I will try all the different ways you`ve suggested to try and work round it. I really don`t want to feel like I did last night again in a hurry though, I have enough problems with my Dad and Daughter having breathing problems without me joining them too.
One thing though Ruth, where do I get those vapour masks? I`ve never even bought a mask that alone knowing the difference between a dust one and vapour one!!!!!!

BTW Glynis, I thank you for your suggestion but after trying several brands of fibreglass and now finding Fabric# I wouldn`t want to go anywhere else now. If after trying all other options with Fabric# and it doesn`t work for me then fibreglass will have to come off my menu......

Vapour mask..........
Try B&O's where they sell the ordinary mask..they should stock them.....I know painters/Car sprayers too use them...........against vapours from the paint.............they have a filter in them......
If not try the local motorshops..........or paint spraying outlets.............If all else fails, do a search on the net........Good luck babe xx

Found this link: http://www.safety-supplies.co.uk/html0001/cg070001.htm

They look like this:
fl070004.jpg

Now I know I`m ugly but that ugly???????????
That conjures up some funny pics.........
No seriously, thanks Ruth, I`ll go get something tomorrow and fingers crossed, with that and extraction I may just be ok.
It definitely must be in my blood, going to extremes rather than give up, lol

Creative sell masks that are pink! :cool:

There are alot prettier, but I am not sure if they are as strong. They probably will be though because they are made for that purpose.

I think Samuel's reply is your best bet. Keep it simple!

Skip the Build and go straight to BOOST. Use 3 or four layers and keep them thin. No masks needed and no need for spray-on Activator at all.

While I was in South Efrika? I only brought BOOST to do my rebalance cause I did not want to carry too much stuff. Worked perfectly. All present and correct when I returned after 4 weeks.

Poor you Debs hope you sort an answer to the prob :rolleyes: what a pain eh!!!! Hope you are ok now though.

Hiya debs

you could try the therapists masks we use for spray tanning. They are widely available. And you get a few uses out of them to. (make sure you dont get the client ones though)

Whats the difference between the tanning masks for clients and therapists then?
What about the pink ones Creative do, are they vapour or dust masks?
I think I`ll do as Samuel suggests first, although I know its the activator that made me as bad as I was I still have problems with the resin as well so I will need to get some sort of mask.
I haven`t been out today to look for the vapour masks that Ruth suggested because I`m still very wheezy and rattly but I will try those types, trouble is, I don`t want to look like something out of star wars!!!!!!
I do appreciate all your suggestions, thank you everyone

Hiya debs

The client masks are disposable not so cost effective as the reusable ones. I have problems with the vapours on the fabric and also the bottle is to hard for me to squeeze so i have given it up as a bad job. Will stick with my other systems for now.

LOL well the Vapour masks are not the most pretty ones...........But then again, nor is sitting in A&E and not being able to breath...........That can't be a pretty sight either.......
I use my dust mask, when I remove the gels.............Not a pretty sight, but hey, who cares, at least I know my lungs will be ok lol...............BRB
(off for a ciggie)
Thats better lol................
What ever you choose to do, be safe...........we need good techs!!!!!!!

Hey Debs - sorry to hear you were poorly. Made me think though, I did my first set of Fabric# on my Mum last Friday and have been sneezing and have had a blocked up dose ever since! Won't blame Fabric# yet, but I intend to do a set on myself next so I will be aware of this.

Hope you get it sorted out soon. xxx

Kim said:
Hey Debs - sorry to hear you were poorly. Made me think though, I did my first set of Fabric# on my Mum last Friday and have been sneezing and have had a blocked up dose ever since! Won't blame Fabric# yet, but I intend to do a set on myself next so I will be aware of this.

Hope you get it sorted out soon. xxx
What ever system you use, good ventilation is a must, and when you use any system, try not so sit on top of it so to speak..............

Keep a distance, I know if I hoover right above the nail, nose to close to the nail, whilst using any resin no matter which system or brand...........the vapours will eventualy get to me..........
Just a thought!

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, I hope it can be fixed and that your doing better.

Luv Kat ;)

It was one of the major factors in the design of the Fabric# system that the amount of activator used be significanly less than any other wrap system.

i.e. The technician was only required to spray once during the full set or rebalance process .... once!! I wonder how many of you who are using Fabric# are doing that??? Or maybe some of you are sneaking in a few more sprays than you need to in hopes to speed things up a bit??

The law requires that ALL activator sprays contain virtually the same ingredients ... only the smell varies from system to system. So the comment from one person above baffles me somewhat??

Look at your instructions again and follow them. They are there for your safety and in the interests of COSHH .... we may think we know better than the manufacturers but we don't. Have another look.

Sorry to hear this :| - you must have been v worried - glad you are better now . & good geeg and geek with sound advice so you dont have any more trauma - take care of you now...

This is my fault I`m like this, I am allergic to all medication so its no wonder anything that wants to go straight to my lungs, will do.......
I have always had my eyes sting while using resins and my chest felt tight while spraying the activator(and I only spray once) so it was probably only a matter of time. But dropping the bottle of bond and all the excess fumes probably finished me off.
I never take my extraction unit to my mobile clients so that`ll have to added to my suitcase now too, along with my masks and my protective boiler suit, lol.

I have to say though, I have complete faith in the product and I`m not ready to throw the towel in, I just need a way to play with it and live a bit longer.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back