I can see - Now - But Earlier.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintz

Reaction score
I sat down awhile ago with the plan to have a play with some gel nail art on some tips and on myself and decided in order to do this I needed to make up a few nice colours.

So I use these small spoons to do my mixing that I got off of a qantas flight (the stirrer in the coffee pack) which is easy enough. And then to clean the spoons I just use acetone on a Graham Pad

Well As I wiped the Graham Pad down my spoon it actually dripped and collected in the wellof the spoon and as I let go of the spoon it flung straight up into my face depositing approximtely half a teaspoon of Pure Acetone in my right eye. :eek:

Well in a tonne of pain and absolutely sure I was never going to see again I just screamed at the top of my lungs for my Mum who thought BTW my dog had done something terribly wrong and was ignoring me. Until I kept going :Scared:

I jumped under the sink with my parents myself and my dogs freaking out with my actions. Mum got on the phone to the hospital who said just call an ambulance (nope no eye kit at home no MSDS nothing - STUPID)

I jumped under the shower with lukewarm water running over my face while we waited for the ambulance to arrive. They ushered me into the Ambulance with Sterilised water further irrigating my eye and I finally stopped sobbing. (this kills forever! and the irrigating makes it far more intense but it has to be done!)

Get into hospital where they have 2 saline bags waiting for this crazy woman who somehow got acetone IN her eye I mean HOW do you do that?? (The question asked by EVERYONE) Even on one of the websites we vistied it started with -
"First of All How did you get acetone in your eye You Dickhead"
And followed with - "I Suppose if you are reading this you are not the one with Acetone in your eyes"

I had to laugh at that

In Hospital they put a suction cup style thing on my eyeball under my eyelids with a hole in the top that connects to the saline bag (eww) and then pumped the saline through (which has you crying and squirming even after the anesthetic)

I ended up with a few scratches on my cornea (?) and on antibiotic eyedrops every 2 hours for a couple of weeks and come today I can finally see out of it properly again.

Now - A long story I know but I didn't see this as any risk to me when I was doing it! SO maybe you don't either.
My normal glasses woud not have stopped the acetone because of the angle it came up on.
BUT If I had only been wearing safety glasses I would have spared myself and my family alot of pain, fear and $$$

Be Careful You can't be doing nails anymore without your sight.

So - Who else has found themselves in casualty or an ambulance or even at the doctors after working??

Blimey Jadey :eek: I bet that was one of the scariest things you've ever had to go through.

I'm so glad it's worked out OK for you in the end :hug:

I just goes to show that accidents are just that, and you can't plan to avoid them.

Take care and make sure you rest your eyes as much as possible, you're probably still overworking the other one to compensate, so make sure you take care.

Trin
xx

What a nightmare for you and what a good lesson to learn for all of us in regards to safety glasses. have to say i am guilty of this myself not wearing safety glasses but you have just given me food for thought so am putting a pair together now and will leave them on my table.

Really glad you had no permanent damage and you can see again now
x

omg, im glad you are ok now, and you were spared any permanent damage, i brought safety goggles after another thread on here whare someone got glue in there eye,

hope your eyes are back to normal soon:hug:

You poor thing, glad you are ok now.

I'm going to get myself some glasses and an eye bath straight away!!

:hug:
I'm so glad you're okay now!!! That must have been so awful...

I know I'll definately be more careful in future....

Hi

Oh my word you did get in a mess huh! You poor thing it must have been very painful you are very lucky it wasn't much worse!

A lesson to us all i think to dig out those glasses eh?

i'd buy you some glasses but the geek shop is empty it seems :rolleyes: SAM that was a hint to restock!

OMG hun, I think it goes without saying that everyone here is relieved that your ok!!!

When I was working as a department manager for Matalan a while ago I was yanking at a point of sale holder that was rusted (in their wisdom the store kept the stands outside), to the top of the stand. With an almighty yank it came lose and hit me straight in the right yok!! Me being as dramatic as I am fell to the floor screaming 'I'm blind, I'm blind'. To cut a long story short I had badly cut my eyebrow and it bled for ages. The next day I looked like I'd gone 10 rounds with Tyson and had an enormous headache. I had to, and was advised to, take a week of work and my manager was funny with me!!! Can you believe that!

Anyway I have been left with a scar in my eyebrow.

Really glad your ok hun x

Dont worry... Ur not the only "Dickhead" pmsl. Ive managed to flick acetone in my eye before. cant remember how, i just remember it bloomin hurt!!!

xx

Hope you are better hun, bet you won't do that again!

I managed to DRINK acetone (well, I didn't swallow it)! How did I do this? I decided to do my toe nails late one evening. I opened a bottle of bacardi breezer to relax with. Everything on the floor next to me...., with the acetone left opened. Instead of taking a sip of my bacardi breezer, I picked up the acetone! Boy, it was awful. I sprinted to the basin and kept washing my mouth with cold water for quite a few minites. LOL!!

Thanks to my geeky sisters for all your well wishes.

Well I haven't fully recovered but I only notice the difference in my sight in the first part of the day when it doesn't want to open when I wake up, it's a bit light sensitive and blurry if I try to look out of it and close my other eye. But by the end of the day it's almost as good as the other one.

I'm sure a full recovery is not far off.
Back to the Opthamologist for a check this week.

I love hearing your other stories as it makes me feel better for being a "dickhead" lol :D But isn't it amazing the amount of silly accidents we do have just by not being careful or getting too relaxed when doing your own services etc.

I think the more we share these types of things instead of hiding behind our bright red faces :o The less they will end up occuring because we will end up learning from the mistakes of others when you see the high risk involved.

So share away some more ladies and gents.

Latest posts

Back