I cannot wear Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VickyLouise

Reaction score
I am a cnd girl I absolutely love their products and naturally Shellac was my chosen gel polish, my clients love it and get fabulous wear. I on the other hand can not get any longer than 5 days, no matter who applies it for me. I find shellac always lifts on me, and not to blow my own trumpet but I have pretty good natural nails, I have even tried using primer but no luck, acrylic is the same too. I have however found that OPI gelcolor can last 3 wks but I feel like such a hypocrite promoting Shellac and wearing gelcolor! Has anyone else experienced the same?

Hi yes this happens to me. I can only keep shellac on three days tops, yet some of my clients can go nearly four. The only way shellac lasts on me is if I put silk tips on first then I can have it in for three weeks.

I think it's because I have naturally oily nails. I know that shouldn't really bother shellac but just a thought.

This is why I'm going to have more than one system available for use when I start up. Not every system works with everyone's chemistry. I can't used IBD buff off gels, they don't adhere to my nail and Nailite soak off gel was actually harder to get off my nails than the IBD.

I don't have any problems with the Shellac but I can't wear the Retention l&p. I haven't used any acrylic system that stays on my nails. I can wear gels without any problems. The only problem that I have with Shellac is I can't stand to wear it for 2 weeks, I get bored easily!

Fortunately I haven't run across anyone whose Shellac just peels off after a few days but an incompatibility can happen as it can with L&P and gels too.

Glad it's a rarity and not something most of us experience.

I can't wear Shellac simply because I'm a nail tech and I haven't mastered that certain way of holding a pad with an acetone based product on it without it breaking the seal on the tips and then it peels back after a few days as you'd expect.

Does yours lift from the cuticle? Gosh I've never heard of that.

The same for me I'm afraid but then I think I am guilty of not following the aftercare completely (slap slap)!!

As the OP says I too have v.good natural nails but after 4/5 days I get some lifting.

Are you following the aftercare that we preach to our clients? I keep telling myself that I must do this and see if my shellac last like it does for all my clients.....I'm sure it will!

You poor thing! I love my Shellac, work obscene numbers of hours doing nails, have a husband, two children and a bunny rabbit to take care of (so am not at all gentle on my hands) and mine doesn't budge! I use my SolarOil, and plastic-backed pads are my essential working item for removals, but aside from that I have to say that I don't wear gloves when working and am not particularly precious about taking care of them... What a shame you aren't as lucky - and what a relief for the rest of us that yours is such an unusual incompatibility! *hug*

I had this problem too, until I decided to 'follow my own advice' and solar oil twice a day, wear gloves when cleaning and apply 2 x thin top coats.....OMG sat here after 15 days later nails still look FAB!!!!!! I am just bored now though and i'm going to remove them today and Ruby Ritz them!!!! can't wait oooohhhhh x

My son's girlfriend is like you. She just cannot wear Shellac. Her nail beds are so super oily that she can't even keep traditional polish on longer than 36 hours without peeling. Trust me, I've tried everything.

have you tried 2 top coats? also i have just started using a bottle that i can squeeze the remover onto pads instead of using my fingers on the pump dispenser. i do use tweezers also when i am using pump dispenser so that i get little product on my own nails x ps the bottle has to be msds os something so that it can hole the acetone products without melting xx

I use a pipette to put the DSolve on the pad that way I don't use too much and I am not touching it! x

***hpde bottle is what you need

I can only get a week out if mine but all my clients return after 4 weeks no problem. My nails aren't the best and its always the right hand. I think it's just me but persevere I shall. I shall try two top coats, and start using my oil more!!

Thank you all for your replies I have only just seen them, I have to admit I am tough on my nails but I do follow my aftercare advice purely because it looks so beautiful when on, just makes me very sad I can not wear it all the time as soo many people ask what you have on and in turn book in for a treatment :)
I will however try 2 thin top coats and see if this helps, glad it's not just me though

I am a cnd girl I absolutely love their products and naturally Shellac was my chosen gel polish, my clients love it and get fabulous wear. I on the other hand can not get any longer than 5 days, no matter who applies it for me. I find shellac always lifts on me, and not to blow my own trumpet but I have pretty good natural nails, I have even tried using primer but no luck, acrylic is the same too. I have however found that OPI gelcolor can last 3 wks but I feel like such a hypocrite promoting Shellac and wearing gelcolor! Has anyone else experienced the same?
Hi Vicky, I have found calgel is fantastic I have been working with it since april its so flexible and for that reason it last up to 4 weeks even on the heaviest handed people it has over 100 shades and is beautiful to work with. You should try it.:)

This is why I'm going to have more than one system available for use when I start up. Not every system works with everyone's chemistry. I can't used IBD buff off gels, they don't adhere to my nail and Nailite soak off gel was actually harder to get off my nails than the IBD.
You should consider Calgel it is fantastic system to work with. incredibly durable. fantastic customer sevices team.:green:

I can't wear Shellac simply because I'm a nail tech and I haven't mastered that certain way of holding a pad with an acetone based product on it without it breaking the seal on the tips and then it peels back after a few days as you'd expect.

Does yours lift from the cuticle? Gosh I've never heard of that.

Can you not wear Nitrite gloves? Thats what I do to protect my nails, I couldn't be without wearing Shellac

Latest posts

Back