I cried in front of client so embarrassed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckk

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I haven't been on the forum for a long while...I did my training using young nails products which I love but I was struggling with a few things and I lost my mojo and gave up.

Anyway these past couple of months I have been practising on myself and my training hand and even my daughters. I figure I have spent out so much money on training and products that I can't let it all go to waste...I can't afford to let it go to waste!

Anyway I had always struggled with gel...the smile lines are what got me!! I could never do them right. But after lots of practice I fee like they have really come on and I can do a decent set of gels in just over 2 hours (down from 4 hours I might add lol)

So yesterday I had what was to be my first paying client!! She was after french gel nails...I felt quite confident I could do this.

She normally has a au pair who looks after her 9 month old son but when I arrived I was told the au pair was on vacation.

The baby was in the cot so I started on her nails but the baby started crying so she went up and got him and put him on her lap while I carried on then the baby started screaming so she took himback up.

Anyway he did nap for a while but when he woke up he was in a really bad mood just screaming his head off. The mum was getting stressed and I could tell she was getting annoyed with me as she felt I wasn't going quick enough. It was so hard as she had to sort the babies food and feed him and walk around and jiggle him and I was trying to do her nails at the same time...the gel was running on to her skin, my smile lines were awful and I even forgot to but the base gel on one hand as I was getting myself a bit stressed as she would keep saying things like 'I am NEVER doing this again' and looking at her nails and saying 'Don't worry I'm sure I will just laugh about this later'...she would jiggle the baby and say to him 'I know, I know' and tut and sigh when I asked her to put her hand in the lamp or if I needed to put more gel on. Anyway the end result was a shocker...I was so upset as I thought I really stood a chance at pleasing her and also improving my confidence. As it was when I left there yesterday my spirit was shattered and my confidence zero. The most embarrassing thing is that I was so ashamed of the nails and felt so bad that I didnt give her the nails she was after that I actually cried In front of her...I just said ' I'm so sorry' and the tears came :cry: Very embarrassing!! It's a good job I kind of know her...she is my daughters old kindy teacher. Anyway she then went on to tell me that I can only improve and that she wants me to do her infills etc every 2 weeks to help me.

Anyway I didn't charge her for the nails as they were pretty awful. But you know once I had calmed down and thought about it I thought could anyone do good set of gels on someone who was standing up and jigging a baby and making you feel this small with the comments they were making.. Well some of you pros probably could lol but I obviously couldn't and the whole episode has really been playing on my mind since yesterday, the comments she made and the way I felt so awful and so small. I really feel that if the baby had of been cared for by someone or if he wasn't there I could have done a job we were both happy with. Instead I walked away after 3 hours with no payment, no confidence and bawling my eyes out like a complete baby lol.

Has anyone else cried in front of a client? I feel so unprofessional for doing it...so ashamed of myself. I think it was because I had managed to talk myself into thinking that I would go in there and impress us both and well...I'm not actually sure I want to do her infills and rebalances for her after this and that is even more unprofessional isn't it!!

Anyway sorry to rant on...husband doesn't really understand and it's been on my mind. Cheers :o

Cut yourself some slack, and lay some of the blame at the client's door.

There is NO WAY you can do nails properly with a screaming infant causing all sorts of distraction and such.
I couldn't, and I WON'T.
Baby in tow? Book another day.

You can't do YOUR best when you can't focus.
Even the best tech would have struggled to focus with all that insanity.

Chin up, deep breath.... you'll do better next time.

In the meantime, practice on some tips so that you feel more comfortable.

:hug:

Aww bless you, Don't be ashamed, to be honest I think I would cry under that pressure as I am still practicing gels to.

You will laugh about this in a couple of months so just keep your chin up high and practice practice practice, and please please don't let this put you off doing other clients, they arn't all like this trust me!!

Why not offer a training price for your clients? You can state that you are qualfied but are offering reduced prices because you are just starting out... just a thought, this will boost your confidence and the clients will know that you are training.

HTH x x x x

Hi everyone :)

I haven't been on the forum for a long while...I did my training using young nails products which I love but I was struggling with a few things and I lost my mojo and gave up.

Anyway these past couple of months I have been practising on myself and my training hand and even my daughters. I figure I have spent out so much money on training and products that I can't let it all go to waste...I can't afford to let it go to waste!

Anyway I had always struggled with gel...the smile lines are what got me!! I could never do them right. But after lots of practice I fee like they have really come on and I can do a decent set of gels in just over 2 hours (down from 4 hours I might add lol)

So yesterday I had what was to be my first paying client!! She was after french gel nails...I felt quite confident I could do this.

She normally has a au pair who looks after her 9 month old son but when I arrived I was told the au pair was on vacation.

The baby was in the cot so I started on her nails but the baby started crying so she went up and got him and put him on her lap while I carried on then the baby started screaming so she took himback up.

Anyway he did nap for a while but when he woke up he was in a really bad mood just screaming his head off. The mum was getting stressed and I could tell she was getting annoyed with me as she felt I wasn't going quick enough. It was so hard as she had to sort the babies food and feed him and walk around and jiggle him and I was trying to do her nails at the same time...the gel was running on to her skin, my smile lines were awful and I even forgot to but the base gel on one hand as I was getting myself a bit stressed as she would keep saying things like 'I am NEVER doing this again' and looking at her nails and saying 'Don't worry I'm sure I will just laugh about this later'...she would jiggle the baby and say to him 'I know, I know' and tut and sigh when I asked her to put her hand in the lamp or if I needed to put more gel on. Anyway the end result was a shocker...I was so upset as I thought I really stood a chance at pleasing her and also improving my confidence. As it was when I left there yesterday my spirit was shattered and my confidence zero. The most embarrassing thing is that I was so ashamed of the nails and felt so bad that I didnt give her the nails she was after that I actually cried In front of her...I just said ' I'm so sorry' and the tears came :cry: Very embarrassing!! It's a good job I kind of know her...she is my daughters old kindy teacher. Anyway she then went on to tell me that I can only improve and that she wants me to do her infills etc every 2 weeks to help me.

Anyway I didn't charge her for the nails as they were pretty awful. But you know once I had calmed down and thought about it I thought could anyone do good set of gels on someone who was standing up and jigging a baby and making you feel this small with the comments they were making.. Well some of you pros probably could lol but I obviously couldn't and the whole episode has really been playing on my mind since yesterday, the comments she made and the way I felt so awful and so small. I really feel that if the baby had of been cared for by someone or if he wasn't there I could have done a job we were both happy with. Instead I walked away after 3 hours with no payment, no confidence and bawling my eyes out like a complete baby lol.

Has anyone else cried in front of a client? I feel so unprofessional for doing it...so ashamed of myself. I think it was because I had managed to talk myself into thinking that I would go in there and impress us both and well...I'm not actually sure I want to do her infills and rebalances for her after this and that is even more unprofessional isn't it!!

Anyway sorry to rant on...husband doesn't really understand and it's been on my mind. Cheers :o

You poor thing! There is no way anyone can be expected to do a good job in that situation, if it had been me I would have either said no to begin with because of the child or stopped as soon as it was apparent it wasnt going to work. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if you find yourself in that situation again, you'll be more prepared and be able to cope. You WILL get better and don't let any nasty comments put you off. I also wouldnt do her infills in future either!!

Thank you ladies <3

After I had got home and eaten several chocolate bars and binged on coke lol I did think about it and I knew I wasn't completely to blame...the poor woman was stressed because the baby was screaming and I know thats why she was saying the things she was but it really does cut you doesn't it. And then when she said I just needed more practice etc...I really dont think she saw the baby as an issue, in her eyes it was all me.

Anyway I do have tips so will keep practicing on them :). I also just purchased some wellless tips as I did struggle slightly on the blending...I was hoping these might help!!

And the reduced prices is a good idea!! I will give that a go thank you! I have a friend coming around next week and I'm going to try it all again on her..CHILD FREE lol!!

Thank you again!! Really needed to just let it all out! xx

I totally agree with Victoria... you're being way too hard on yourself.

I hate when clients bring their kids into the Salon... it's OK with the older ones as they can look after themselves, but I always take longer to do the nails as the client usually ends up constantly turning around to check the child and in turn will move her hand... aarrrhh it drives me mad!!

I had a client in not so long ago and she brought her 6 month old baby... she was only in for a re Shellac, but after I soaked the Shellac off (A grand total of 10 mins).. she agreed that this was not working and had to leave, as the baby was hysterical at that stage (not fair on the poor little mite... or me for that matter)

You are new to nails and a client could never know that there is so much to it... we need to concentrate when we are new... how were you expected to do a good job with the Child crying... that is SO off putting!!

Dust yourself off and give it another go!!

Don't feel bad for crying... you are allowed to be human you know :hug:

Thank you Liane!

I really don't want to do her infills...I just have her words ringing in my ears....why do I have to be so bloody sensitive lol.

She said at the beggining her hubby was really excited she was getting nice nails....so glad I wasn't there when he got home lol xx

you poor thing it is difficult when you are mobile. Maybe you could do a night tine app for the infills dont give up. When you see the lady you could laugh and say you had a very bad that day lets face it as women we all have those lol xxxx

Awww thanks An*gel :hug:

I think the nails wont last more than a few days anyway. She kept tutting when I went to file as she wanted me to be finished and the was a bit of gel on skin and cuticals where she kept moving her hand all the time. She also kept pulling it out of the light and using it...I just had to ignore it in the end as we were getting nowhere and we were both stressed and just needed to finish. Oh and there is no base gel on one hand!! So glad I didnt charge her and I can hopefully just move on!! xx

Bless you!
You can't work on clients that are trying to do other things! Gel moves and shrinks if you don't get it in the lamp fast enough (this is not your fault)

This is a big learning curve sweetie!! You can't work under pressure and why should you! Next time you do her nails just check there is someone there to look after her baby!

It wasn't a waste of time! You learnt from this experience and knowledge is priceless ; ))

Good luck and stick at it xx

I dont blame you at all for getting stressed and completely upset by all this, no one can work like that!

Dont beat yourself up, just learn from each new experience. Maybe say to her that it would be best to book her future treatments at times when the baby is asleep- possibly after bedtime in the evenings, or at times when she can definately have someone to watch the baby eg. on weekends. She cant expect you to work like that either, and honestly, I have been there, and made sure that my client knew it is not a suitable working environment for me, as I need to be able to do the best I can for her, without constant interruptions.

Your client was obviously very flusterred too, and probably will only re-book when she has childcare now. If not, then you are entitled to request an alternative treatment time in the future. At the end of the day, its for her benefit as she is paying for a service, and wants to feel proud of her nails- as do you.

Onwards and upwards as they say! It will get better :)

Hi Cabby,

well as I was leaving her house the other day I did say i could go back next week and fix her nails when the au pair was there...I did warn her they might not stay on. You are right I should probably just do her infills...it would be good practice and thats what I need...it's just I'm still so embarrassed...I cringe everytime I think back too it lol. I cannot believe I cried in front of her....I was doing such a great job of holding it in until I apologised for the nails then it was like a waterfall....she had the baby and me both bawling our eyes out haha.

Oh I feel so much better already just talking about it!! It felt like a dirty little secret of somekind I was keeping in lol. My hubby tried to question me about it but I couldnt talk about it I was so ashamed. Feeling alot more light hearted now though...not going to give up again. Got 4 children to feed go to do that somehow lol xx

Bless you!
You can't work on clients that are trying to do other things! Gel moves and shrinks if you don't get it in the lamp fast enough (this is not your fault)

This is a big learning curve sweetie!! You can't work under pressure and why should you! Next time you do her nails just check there is someone there to look after her baby!

It wasn't a waste of time! You learnt from this experience and knowledge is priceless ; ))

Oooh just realised you can quote!

Thank you hun!! If she does contact me again I may just bite the bullet and do her infills for more experience. She is actually a really nice lady...I have 4 children myself and I know how stressful it can be when they get themselves worked up like that. You're right it really is a learning curve, in future if I get any clients I will be asking them if they have children and if so is there someone too look after them. I may lose a few clients but I really couldn't go throught that again!! xx

I think you should call her and just say sorry for getting upset, but you are just not used to working under them circumstances and could you rearrange to do her nails again when she has more time and no baby! as you want this to be a relaxing experience for her, personally I would redo completely with base coat and her sitting still! she needs to realise that you cannot do it with the child (as not good to be around chemicals anyway, and that she should take the time to relax and enjoy the treatment and that the last set were not a real reflection of your work :)

Bless you!

How true 'Freya Beauty'!! What a quote!

I learned this early on too....it just doesn;t work when kids come too. I now have a policy that unkess they are older and can sit with a DS or similar they are not permitted. I have had Mothers say - 'he'll be fine', she's very good. NO sorry - I have kids too and I would NEVER bring them to a nail appointment. You did very well under the circumstances so listen to the wise words of the geeks and go and do some more! You will do it!!!:)

big cuddles!!! like said above this is properly the best client you could have gone to, yes its made you feel awful but havent you learnt NEVER to do someone who has a young child with no one else to care for it??? i was put in this situation a few months ago and it was a disaster, i didnt cry in front of her but as soon as i got in my van i burst into histarics! now i ask people on the phone when they book in or if i get there i usually say i cant carry out the treatment and go and charge them for wasting my time. your a nail tech, not a child minder, and you did well to carry on, and with the sarci remarks i think (or i hope!) that its through embarrisment.

i gave up on nail extensions last year down to a client who insisted on not following her aftercare and constantly breaking her nails and calling me back, and when i said about aftercare she'd say 'well my friend at work does this and that and her nails are fine!', i was young and niave and had only just started and instead of using it as a learning curb and refusing to do her again i kept going back and slowly i just broke and never did them again, but i'm starting again now!!! wooohoooo!!!

please dont quit! head up and carry on! :D i'm sure your nails are perfect, maybe upload some pictures, theres some amazing nail techs on here that will give you feedback which will help boost your confidence x

I would never allow a baby in my home without another person watching it. I have a dog and chemicals and she cant expect you to focus when there is a baby in the room. Next time someone tell you they have to bring a baby tell them you cant have a child in there without another person supervising its to dangerous and you and them cant focus and tell they they will need to reshedual when they dont have a baby with them.

I had a client turn up for a hour and half facial with a 3 month old baby in a car seat and her dog left in the car. The baby screamed the whole way through so I found the whole treatment I was total on edge and making mistakes. I kept asking her at the begin if she wanted me to carry on and she did. While the mask was on she asked me to go and check on the dog that was in the back of the
car. Now I won't do her treatment if she turns up with her daughter as I find it to distrusting with children crying.

Has anyone else cried in front of a client?

If we haven't, we've sure felt like it. This client managed to take your confidence from all-time high and drop it to an all-time low with just one cranky baby.

This appointment would have been difficult for a seasoned nail tech and many of us would have told her to reschedule. You soldiered on and I've got to give you mad-props for that. The fact that her nails ended sub-par, especially with gels, lies in her lap. The situation was an impossible one for someone new on the scene.

Don't let it get you down. You've seen your work and you know what you're capable of doing in the correct environment under normal conditions and circumstances. This wasn't that at all. You're being too hard on yourself. Dust yourself off and realize not everything is your fault.

Last edited:
This is why I'm not mobile. I tried it and I lasted 6 weeks. There was the woman with the cats, cats like me, I like them but having 6 of them trying to play tag or sit on your lap during a nail service. I ended up at home with a pair of tweezers in my clear powder picking out cat hair, I was just glad it was a small pot, that I could use for practice, after fishing cat hair out of it I couldn't use it on a client:irked:
Then there was the smoker. You can't light up, why not it's my house. Em because that's an open pot of monomer and it's highly flammable:eek:
The final straw was a house full of kids. They were banned from the living room, but that worked for about 20 minutes. After that, the 4 year old was in my box, yes in it, all my stuff all over the floor. The two boys had a foot ball. Mum ended up screaming blue murder.
Now I have a home salon, currently closed for renovation, but when it's open, I have quiet, serenity and happy relaxed clients.
You can not work like that. No one can work like that, for the future, if this happens again you step back, you ask if a neighbour can look after the child, if it's a no, you politely smile and say, I can guarantee you that the moment I have your hands, your child will need you and I promised myself I would never work like that again. Now, when can I re book your appointment?
She says now or never, walk away. It's not worth it.
Massive :hug: to you hun. Give it a month and you will be giggling over a glass of wine and pantomiming it all to your girl friends.

Latest posts

Back