I cried in front of client so embarrassed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Liane!

I really don't want to do her infills...I just have her words ringing in my ears....why do I have to be so bloody sensitive lol.

She said at the beggining her hubby was really excited she was getting nice nails....so glad I wasn't there when he got home lol xx

Blimey! I was nearly crying reading it!! You have NO REASON to be hard on yourself, she was totally selfish and unfair.

Please go back and do her infills, make sure the baby isn't there AT ALL, do a fabby job, and make this infioll set better than the first set.

Good luck
xxxxx (let us know how it goes) xx

My mum nags me and says why don't you go mobile?

I try to explain all the things that happen when you are at someone else's house that they don't dream of doing at a salon!

Now I shall just show her this thread.

Don't feel bad that this inconsiderate client put you in this situation!

I just want to say I don't think she sounds like a kind person at all!

I made the mistake of going to get my eyebrows threaded when my daughter was 6 months old. Knowing that she usually slept in the pushchair when we were out and about and it was only a ten minute appointment. Wrong, not only was she awake but she was screaming. I was mortified and would never have dreamed of taking it out on the girl doing her job. I was so stressed. At no point did I turn on the poor girl. I apologised, I asked if I should leave. I would have been so embarrassed if she had have asked me to leave, but I would have completely understood and left.

I think if this is how she copes under stress, I'd avoid her if you're working on your confidence. Get your skills up first and then when confident 100% then you will feel able to deal with this rudeness.

Last edited:
Oh you poor chicken *big hugs* I hope you can laugh about this in time to come while waffling away to a regular customer. On the bright side though you got the nightmare customer out of the way early! (that was meant to make you smile :D )

Chin up, put it down to experience and go get your next paying client ( who has no kids or pets :D )

Aww !!! i would have cried too, thats about as hard as it would be doing nails with both people sitting on a rocking chair (an electric one) or doing someones nails on a bus going round a roundabout, dont worry she wouldnt for a second blame you, she must be climbing the walls when her au pair is not there. dont look at the time when you go back, just keep focus, determination is all you need, i know you'll have some reservations because of what just happened, just put them to the back of your mind and focus only on your work !
I could write a book with the amount of silly, nutty situations ive had, lol

I haven't read everyones replies but I just wanted to say, it is absolutely not your fault, it is TOTALLY UNREASONABLE for a client to have a baby on their lap. You say she's a nice lady but I'm sure she has no idea whatsoever how difficult that was for you. I have had clients come with babies in car seats but not for nails! I mean, a brazilian is only really a 20 min treatment so even if the baby cries I can probably handle it, but wriggling around on her lap - NO WAY!

As for crying... well, I understand you feel embarrassed about this, but actually she should feel bad about it, she put you in a bad situation. You are only human.

As for crying... well, I understand you feel embarrassed about this, but actually she should feel bad about it, she put you in a bad situation. You are only human.

I mean to add this to my comment too, if she has a shred of decency she will be feeling terrible and I maintain she is NOT a lovely lady if she doesn't apologise. No nice people I know behave in that way. And trust me I know a lot of people with babies, including myself.

I also meant to say, have a hug x

I got slated on this forum for refusing to cut someboidies hair whilst she was hunched over breast feeding. Babies and small children can make it impossible to do our jobs properly.

I really have sympathy with you. In years to come you will have the confidence and experience to deal with problems such as this, but as a newby, I expect it shattered you. The concentration you need when starting out is immense. This must have seemed never ending.

It will get easier for you as time goes on, just don't let this be an excuse to give up.

Chin up xx

I had a woman turn up once with a baby a few weeks old AND a two year old, for an eyelash tint. She carried the baby in, not in it's car seat and expected to lie the baby on her while I did the treatment. I also had to 'entertain' the two year old.

To be honest I thought she was a complete d*ckhead.

:hug::hug::hug: to you , I feel so bad for you after trying to get your confidence back.

Good luck and don't give up. :Love:

if its any consolation, the first professional swedish massage client I had turned to me at the end of the massage and told me it was the worst massage she had ever had! I replied I did a textbook massage exactly as I was shown in college ( :o when I think about it now), and she looked at me and said "exactly".
She then told me she owned 2 salons and WHEN SHE DID A MASSAGE she did a full body, wheras my routine missed out hands feet and face.

I got in the car and felt EXTREMELY sorry for myself.

I went home and felt EXTREMELY sorry for myself. I licked my wounds for a few days/weeks.

but you know what.....that woman did me the biggest favour in my career. Why? Because I vowed that I would NEVER be in that situation ever again. It also taught me that colleges don't know a damned thing when it comes to industry.

18 years later....I do a pretty good damned massage (and teach others to do it too).

So, my advice....have a wallow, you sooooo deserve it. then wipe away those tears, blow your nose and get those tips out and practice practice practice, then get your friends round and ask them to pretend to be real clients and go through it over and over again.

Then pack your bag, hold your head up high and go back to the woman's house and do a bloody brilliant set of nails.

I got slated on this forum for refusing to cut someboidies hair whilst she was hunched over breast feeding.

OMG ! Really, but that would be impossible to do, much like doing someones nails whilst they are bouncing a baby

Well all I can say is Well Done! Blimey your first customer and all that! Bless your heart, you did a fantastic job considering! Im stressed enough when my baby is crying and doing my mums nails at the same time, I always mess up. However I do a good job when there are no distractions, baby's crying, kids screaming and I'm sure you will too.

I am confident that when you do a clients in a nice quiet space you will be pleased with your work.

Poor thing, not what you need on a first

Baby's, kids and nails don't mix:D

Well done, keep your chin up. Move on to the next client and walk in with confidence, like you've been doing it years :hug:

I had a woman turn up once with a baby a few weeks old AND a two year old, for an eyelash tint. She carried the baby in, not in it's car seat and expected to lie the baby on her while I did the treatment. I also had to 'entertain' the two year old.

To be honest I thought she was a complete d*ckhead.

I have a 3 year old and a baby, I would NEVER dream of taking them with me to any type of beauty treatment. Especially eyelash tint, how the heck are you supposed to keep an eye on your kids when laying down with your eyes closed?...

People never cease to amaze me! :(

It's situations such as this one that cause many of us to have a "no children" policy.
We're not trying to be B****s... we're just trying to do our job to the best of our ability which can NOT be done with children (of any age, no matter how well behaved they 'usually' are) underfoot.

Take a deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breath... and move on and grow from it.
As you see from other's comments, while you may be in a learning curve, the fault is NOT entirely your own.

<hugs>

I just want to say I don't think she sounds like a kind person at all!

Exactly what I was thinking! She doesn't sound very nice!
I work from home, I have two kids my self 16 and 3 and make sure I only do nails when the baby is in bed. I tell everybody that no children are allowed even if they want me to quickly paint their nails in the day ready for a night out, I simply say "No" I work in the night time when there aren't any children running around. Don't let anybody knock your confidence! I made this mistake years ago because people expect you to work wonders in these situations. This sort of thing made me give up nails a few years ago but now I have learnt by it am back to it. I think you did a brilliant job :D

I would like to congratulate the OP on being brave enough to post her experience here. The entire thing itself must've been very upsetting, but to post it online and tell other tech's about it can be daunting.

There are LOTS of girls who lurk here, and wouldn't be brave enough to share a story like this, so them being able to read it and realize that they are not alone, is in and of itself a very positive thing.

I can't ever recall crying in front of a client, but there was many times when I worked at a big spa that I would leave the client at the end of the treatment and go into the bathroom and bawl my eyes out, because they were so mean to me. I've cried in front of a lot of coworkers and managers though. Usually inbetween yelling. :lol:

And let me just say that impatient clients are a viscious circle. They come in all rude and impatient, which in turn makes you nervous and you make mistakes, and then they get more annoyed and impatient, and then you get more upset and make more mistakes.

Tomorrow is always a new day, and a new opportunity to improve upon your confidence.

I don't blame you for crying...I would have had a nervous breakdown! Lol. Screaming baby + trying to do nails + snide comments.....you deserve a medal! X

Cut yourself some slack, and lay some of the blame at the client's door.

There is NO WAY you can do nails properly with a screaming infant causing all sorts of distraction and such.
I couldn't, and I WON'T.
Baby in tow? Book another day.

You can't do YOUR best when you can't focus.
Even the best tech would have struggled to focus with all that insanity.

Chin up, deep breath.... you'll do better next time.

In the meantime, practice on some tips so that you feel more comfortable.

:hug:

I totally agree

I'm sorry to say, but babies and small children are a huge no no in my treatment area. This woman showed you absolutely no respect, to tut and sigh and make derogatory comments is totally out of order. If the screaming demon hadn't been there in the first place it would have taken you half the time!!

I would definitely go back and do her rebalance, just to show her that you are perfectly capable, as i'm sure you are hun.
Having done your training with Youngs, i'm sure if you were to give them a call about any issues you are having they would be happy to offer advice. Also, they now post a lot of really helpful video tutorials on youtube, some of which are based on pink and white gels, you might find them useful.
Don't let this experience knock you back, learn from it and move on xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Ohh sweetie, huge hugs to you, you poor thing.

I agree with most of what has been said, dust yourself off after you have had a good wallow and then hold that head high again and go back in full throttle and do her infills if she asks you to.
If she doesn't, well maybe that's a good thing and let Karma take it course.

Can I say (and I mean no nastiness when I say it) that the only mistake I feel you made was, telling her the service could NOT be done and to reschedule her.
Under no circumstance should you be working on a client under these circumstances and I'm appalled that this client thought it was ok and then went and made the comments she did.
Her being stressed is no excuse as far as I see it, SHE was the one who made it stressful and due to this, this gives her NO right to make such nasty comments as she did.

I think now is the time where you need to sit down and make u your policy sheet that you make sure all your clients sign at the end of their first ever consult and YOU must stick to it.
You might have to consider putting in a fee for anybody who thinks they can just ignore it and have you drive 10 miles to do their nails to find a house full of under 2yr olds and no one to watch them. Please consider doing policies up, they will help protect you from future things like this.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Latest posts

Back