I don't know what this is, a vent perhaps?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't buy my house. They've taken away right to buy on new builds. For the aforementioned reasons...

I think perhaps those of us who've been fortunate enough to secure a mortgage should be grateful of the privilege and those who haven't shouldn't necessarily see it as unfair. When we ask the bank to lend us hundreds of thousands of pounds it's hardly something they can take lightly. Would you lend £200,000 to a stranger on a low income with no deposit? If you really want a mortgage it's hard work but it's doable.

It's not unfair, I'm just jealous :) although I'm 24 still time yet x

The other thing about renting that puts me off is the landlord can boot you out whenever they want. Also you can never really have the house how you want because you're adding value to someone else's house!

As a zookeeper I'm paid peanuts. My fella has a dull job in IT in London (commutes in) which he isn't thrilled over. But he stays in it for the money, so we can afford the house and holidays he loves etc.

The deposit came from losing his father at an early age and I lost my Granda before Christmas.

I thought my colleagues would be happy for us, most are! But one really ruined the mood by moaning on that I, on a lower wage, could afford a house :sad:

But I'm an only child, in a not rich family from the North East - I manage my money carefully so I pay my bills, feed me and the animals and save up for nice things (like courses and equipment!) but up until now I've always rented.

If you're happy renting, rent. If you want a house, make it happen.

What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another

As a zookeeper I'm paid peanuts. My fella has a dull job in IT in London (commutes in) which he isn't thrilled over. But he stays in it for the money, so we can afford the house and holidays he loves etc.

The deposit came from losing his father at an early age and I lost my Granda before Christmas.

I thought my colleagues would be happy for us, most are! But one really ruined the mood by moaning on that I, on a lower wage, could afford a house :sad:

But I'm an only child, in a not rich family from the North East - I manage my money carefully so I pay my bills, feed me and the animals and save up for nice things (like courses and equipment!) but up until now I've always rented.

If you're happy renting, rent. If you want a house, make it happen.

What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another

Okay, but to be fair you've said you got your deposit because family members died and left you money. You can't really "make it happen" in that respect.

I know a lot of people get on the property ladder that way, I didn't.

My husband and I cannot afford to buy just yet, having just opened a salon in February we are living on one wage now for the time being.

We rent a 3 bed detached house with a garage, 2 bathrooms and front and rear gardens. We have been here for 3 years and have no intention of moving any time soon. We have a brilliant relationship with our landlord and tend to do most of the up keep ourselves, we replaced the broken washing machine, carpets and fence but she replaced the boiler at Christmas.

We have two cars and nice phones etc and we want to live in a nice house in a nice area, if we saved to buy this wouldn't be possible for a very long time. This is the choice we have made, yes we would like to own our home but it's not a priority at the moment.

My husband moans about it from time to time as all of our friends own their homes but then they all lead different lives to us, they all settled younger, I went travelling and then we have our own businesses. We have been together just 6 years so we have plenty of time (even at 33!).

It all boils down to priorities ... If it's to buy your own home then make it happen! To save for aus I had to clear debts ... A lot of them and I did it in just 2.5 years, I worked 3 jobs and didn't have a life for a while but I still drove a very nice car ... Sounds crazy but that's just me :)

Anything is possible if you're prepared to work for it xx

Okay, but to be fair you've said you got your deposit because family members died and left you money. You can't really "make it happen" in that respect.

I know a lot of people get on the property ladder that way, I didn't.

Yes, this is true. But at least something happy is coming out of sad situations...

We are having to pay for the fees and surveys etc through savings. I've worked two or three jobs all through my A levels and university to get where I am with work - I had to find rent and money for food to be able to take my unpaid work experience.

I will have to save to convert our out building if I want it to be a salon.

It all depends on people's priorities, motivation and situation :)

Latest posts

Back