I don't think it's possible

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLovesTanning

Tanning ❤️
Reaction score
So I went on a spray tan workshop a week ago, and myself and a few girls were talking about the industry and how current changes affect the money we make.

I myself don't feel it's possible to make a full time job and a living from doing spray tan alone, with the weather being a factor and sun beds I don't think it's possible to do it, I know some of you are going to say I make a living out of tanning alone but that is a success for very few of us especially in this weather. In this weather I'm lucky to get 1 new spray tanner of course I have my spray tan addicts but there are no people getting tan in this weather which can be quite disheartening.

How do you cope in this time of year?

I think it would be hard to make a full time wage every week with just spray tanning, some weeks are really slow xx

Exactly, some techs on here swear they do?

Do you work together with anyone? I have a nail salon and often have requests for tans. I would love to find someone that would do 1 - 2 days a week in my salon

I live in Ireland LOL thanks though

I live in Ireland LOL thanks though
I didn't mean my salon. I meant perhaps have a look at nail salons in your area that don't offer tanning. Work together with them

I didn't mean my salon. I meant perhaps have a look at nail salons in your area that don't offer tanning. Work together with them

They find it competition. I've tried already.

Am I right in thinking you're also a hairdresser Ash? Do you, or could you combine both? All the mobile hairdressers I know are never short of clients whatever the time of year. I can't imagine being able to make a full time living out of spray Tanning personally - from my own experience I find most of my clients want a spray tan every now and again for an instant tan for a special occasion, not every week/10 days. The people that want to have a year round tan seem to prefer sun beds because they don't get the tell-tail fade off problems of a spray tan. My daughter is probably one of the few that has a spray tan every week in the spring/summer months because she doesn't tan but also won't use a sun bed, but even she only has one in the winter if she's going somewhere special. That said, I will be trying to promote winter spray tans more as I have just had a spray tan room built into my new beauty salon, so hopefully no more overspray getting on everything and no more putting a pop up tent up and down and cleaning it ! :)

I agree with you totally. I am a hairdresser too but there are some spray tan techs on here who swear they make a living from it I can't imagine that tho.

I have a few weekly spray tans then the people who only get them yearly. But I love spray tanning so was just thinking how people who only do it alone make a living?

I agree with you totally. I am a hairdresser too but there are some spray tan techs on here who swear they make a living from it I can't imagine that tho.

I have a few weekly spray tans then the people who only get them yearly. But I love spray tanning so was just thinking how people who only do it alone make a living?

I suppose it must be different in certain areas?

There’s so many in my area now that I’m actually thinking of packing it in. I have my main job and tanning is an extra but even as an extra, I’m so quiet I’m just wondering if it’s worth it.

There’s so many in my area now that I’m actually thinking of packing it in. I have my main job and tanning is an extra but even as an extra, I’m so quiet I’m just wondering if it’s worth it.

Same I have a main job also tanning is an extra for me and like you it's dried up. I love spray tanning so will continue to do it but there is no way to make a full-time career out of doing it alone.

No I agree, it’s good when busy but even though I try to give great service, there’s always another handful of tanners advertising in a 5 mile radius. Same with make up artists and microblading now. My Facebook feed is flooded with MUA’s. Fair play to them for trying to get clients but you’re right about not being able to go full time

I think spray tanning is very seasonal. I'm adding waxing to my services soon as thats a year round treatment. My tanning is starting to kick in again, im pleased as past month has been dead xx

I’ve been tanning almost a year now (so not long compared to others on here) like I say there’s a lot of tanners around my area that have been going for a few years, I’m in two minds to not bother anymore as I think most people have their favourite one they go to. Found out last week a couple of my regulars have started going to a lady that chargers £10 year round. I can’t compete with that xx

I’ve been tanning almost a year now (so not long compared to others on here) like I say there’s a lot of tanners around my area that have been going for a few years, I’m in two minds to not bother anymore as I think most people have their favourite one they go to. Found out last week a couple of my regulars have started going to a lady that chargers £10 year round. I can’t compete with that xx
Try getting a cheaper solution alongside the one you use and offer it at £10 then your low spending clients can choose that and the ones that like your better solution can pay the higher price xx

Yes that’s a good idea, I may try that. Can suit all budgets then I guess. It’s just quite disheartening I think. I’m glad things have started to pick up for yourself now. January is a tough month all round xx

Try getting a cheaper solution alongside the one you use and offer it at £10 then your low spending clients can choose that and the ones that like your better solution can pay the higher price xx

Are you crazy...... It's not the product cost....it's the labour that cost's ...Value your profession!:cool:
Do this, and you become part of the problem!:p

The vat rate has been increased to 23% on sunbeds last October so this will make them less profitable for businesses and might help phase them out which in turn will see people resort back to spray tans hopefully[emoji119]

Are you crazy...... It's not the product cost....it's the labour that cost's ...Value your profession!:cool:
Do this, and you become part of the problem!:p
As Angel tanning has said, her area is saturated with tanners offering tans at £10 and she is loosing her clients to them as they are not wanting to pay higher. Whats a girl supposed to do?? I'd rather have 10 £10 tans in one day than none and end up loosing my business. I often put offers on for my tans, it doesnt mean i don't value my profession. xx

Latest posts

Back