I drive a Tank - My daughters call it a Cadillac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Yup, I'm driving a tank :lol::lol:

I now own a car.
I don't have a license yet, waiting for the SAAQ scheduling to open up some new slots for the driving tests, they're not scheduling any new ones till the 10th.
BUT
I own MY VERY OWN CAR.:green:

Ok... it's not the greatest. And it really is quite literally a "Momma-Mobile".
(conjuring images of tee-ball teams and drive-in movies, in my head)

I called my mechanic and has asked him what he'd charge to inspect some cars for us, before we bought them. He gave us a FANTASTIC price (1/2 what everyone else in town is charging) and asked what we were looking at.
We told him for the moment, a Dodge Neon. He laughed and said "you really like crap, don't you?" I said "No, I just want a car I can afford" haha
He asked how much we were looking to spend, I told him. He said he knew of several, but given my needs etc... he knew the perfect car.
One he had done the work on for several years, knew all the ins and outs of it.
A Buick Century Stationwagon - 1995. :eek:

I said OMG no, I dont think so:!: How am I gonna park that thing!:eek:
(I was conjuring images of "that 70's show" with beige and brown fake wood panelling station wagon.
He says it's blue (phewwwwwwwww! bit the bullet on that one) and it's NOT as big as I think.

Ok, so we go look. Well, it's in awesome shape. Body's good except for one spot. Motor's got some serious kick to it, runs really well. blah blah. And it's not as big as most station wagons.

Ok sold.

So....
I'm driving a tank. :lol::lol::lol:

Driving it is sooooooooooo different from my hubby's Hyundai Elantra or my girlfriend's neon. It's 'heavy'. But I actually drive it better than I do their cars... hmm I don't know why. But the pedals feel different? Not as twitchy?

Only glitch???
PARKING:!::!:

Well, if I can learn to park this beast, I can park anything, right?

The bright side? All paid for in one shot. I won't have any payments to make. So won't hurt my budget. Also, because of the hood ornament, I know where my front 'ends' and because of the way the wagon is built, I know where my ass 'ends', I can see... soooooo parking should be easier since I won't have to guess like with the others?

I'll upload pics later for giggles.

MY FIRST CAR!!! WHOOOHOOOOOOOO

I was out driving last night.... and had a good giggle.
Some dork cut me off, and I mumbled to my victim-copilot "idiot, my car is a tank and if I smacked him, he'd be squished like a bug while I get only a scratch, IF that with the kind of bumper I have" My copilot laughed, and said 'true enough'.:lol:

All my friends are giggling saying "Ahh Victoria, a station wagon is soooo not you. The Grand-Am was much more you".
BUT... I'm actually beginning to like my tank. All that space, how handy will that be, aye? With 2 kids playing sports, or if I need to move anything big, etc?

The motor's got kick and I can't wait to get out on the highway with it and have a good 'run'. :green:

Said to my hubby - Think I'll put a bumper sticker on it (haha, knowing full well what he'd say) and he said "THAT'S SO TACKY!"
To which I responded "and so are old Station Wagon's, they're SUPPOSED to have bumper stickers LOL"
(don't think I will though, I was just bugging him)

So, it's official. I have joined the ranks of other car owners.
Now... to get a license
lol

PS: I jokingly referred to it in front of my girls as a cadillac and that's now what they call it. A Cadillac
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lmao, victoria you do make me laugh!!

I think its brill you got your own car regardless of size etc.

A few weeks, months down the line you will be parking it fine.

Good on you girl! :hug:

PMSL!! Victoria......you should write a book!!

Great news, your very own first car....woo hoo!!!

I am an excellent parallel parker....in fact I sometimes feel aggrieved that I don't get a round of applause when I get out of my car having squeezed it into a small space!!
So if you want I can pop over and give you a lesson!!
Then again my car is only a little hatchback :lol:!!!

Happy Driving :hug:

Congrats on your new car!
My first car was a '54 Ford Cortina (talk about big and heavy!).
At first I was afraid to drive it but, after that, I can drive and park any car anywhere!

Lmao Victoria, am in stitches sitting here imagining you in your "tank"!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the pics, you'll be parking it fine in no time at all.

Happy driving! :)

Good for you,it will be your best friend,you wont wanna be without it nowxxx

Victoria, v. funny :lol:

Our first car was a grey Volvo, and we used to call it the tank, it was probably louder and slower than a tank.

Anyway, all the shiny cars used to avoid us and get out of our way 'specially when we drove in London which is full of really rude and mean drivers, they did not want dents in their cars. If they would not let me out of a junction I would just edge forward bit by bit 'till I got in their way and might scratch their shiny new cars, he he he :wink2:

Congrats Victoria! There's nothing like the feeling of freedom that having your own car can give you. And don't think of it as a tank, think of it as an "Urban Assault Vehicle". Remember, we're a much more high-tech bunch than we once were, so we need a high-tech name for our vehicles to reflect that change.:)

(Right now I'm driving a '92 Mustang that feels so wide sometimes, it's like driving my living room around town. Look out, Lazy-Boy Recliners, there's a new sherriff in town!)

Congrats on the new tank :green:.......think of it this way....big is usually safer....cars are SO tiny now days.....my best cars have always been the tanks!

My fist car was also a tank.....1975 ford galaxy :eek: copper coloured....was a huge LTD type they used to have ages ago.....had a bad transmission...leaked like a sive......I remember when it used to jerk....I'd stop on the side of the road pop the trunk ( where I'd keep a case of fluid ) refill the transmission and away I'd go ! .....also had no seat belts...:eek:....aaaahhh those were the days ! LOL

Thanks everyone for your congrats, kind words and anecdotes :hug::green:

I'll keep you posted on my parking skills :lol: and will have pics soon.

WHAT A HOOT!

PMSL!! Victoria......you should write a book!!

Great news, your very own first car....woo hoo!!!

I am an excellent parallel parker....in fact I sometimes feel aggrieved that I don't get a round of applause when I get out of my car having squeezed it into a small space!!
So if you want I can pop over and give you a lesson!!
Then again my car is only a little hatchback :lol:!!!

Happy Driving :hug:

PLEASE DO "pop over", I need all the lessons I can get :lol:
I've got the 'theory' down for parking, it's the practical that's a bit of a problem
LOL

(free room and board, of course, you might have to sleep with my dog and risk being woken by 2 wee evil monkeys before the sun rises haha)

Latest posts

Back