I feel like a failure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I think you should be proud of your acheivement, if you are pleased with the end result then , two hours i think is great. I have had my nails done in salons in an hour , they have skipped cuticle work, filed the top layer of my nail off, and used a drill to file causing burning , I would rather they took longer!:)

Will you get a grip !!!!
My first full set took me 5 hours !!!And the next day the client came in and they had all fallen off.
I did a new full set for her FOC in 3.5 hours.......and i have NEVER seen her since.!
I moved foward and now teach nails full time,and i have great sympathy for nail techs like you who want it to be perfect in 60 mins!
It is far better to take your time and do it right than to be satisfied with a half assed job-the more nails you do the timimg will improve.
xx mrs o

When training target time is 2 hours... u have 2 hours for your exam etc.... over the years you can trim that down as you become more proficient at application, the CND Ambasidor I trained under could do a full set from tipping to application, shaping and finishing in 65mins... how'd she do that u ask? shes done THOUSANDS of nails.... Its better that it took you 2 hours to create perfect nails than rush it, take 1.5 hours and her leave with nails your not happy with.... I'd rather the client sit there a bit longer and have beautiful nails than have her leave with a half a$$ job on her nails... different nails different times.. I have some sets that take me 1.15 I have others that go OVER the 2 hour mark because extensive prep is needed or they have 'problem' nails (normally new clients) ... so dont let it get you down hun!

Ok....so it took you 2 hours to do a full set. You said the nails looked lovely and I assume the client was pleased. Wheres the big deal.....? If it takes you 2 hours then charge for 2 hours of your time and skill.....
David

Sorry but that is a rediculous thing to advise. Hopefully most of us geeks in the real world know that at this stage the reality is that we cannot charge more just because it takes us longer - we wouldnt have any clients!!!
The only thing that will reduce it is experience...........and that takes time unfortunately for you, me and loads of others:lol:, hang in their........I am. xx

I have been doing this for 3 1/2 years and take from 1 1/2 - 2 hours for a full set and reballance.

But, sometimes when it is a client i know really well, i sometimes take longer because we are chatting too much.....:o

There are also times that i only take just over 1 hour, so it does depend on what you are doing, in fills, french reballance, colour fade, inbuilt nail art etc, it all depends on what you are doing and how well your client looks after them in between appointments too.

Hang i there mate, as long as the nails you produce are good quality, then what is your worry??

it all comes with practice flower - when i first started it took me over 2 hours,you will come down in your timing - but dont let this be a main factor sweetpea - you will get there - believe me - the more you do -then the quicker you will become without jepordising (sp) application, prep etc - just believe in yourself and you will get there. when we all start off in something new, it takes time to perfect. you are normal flower, so keep at it, and keep practicing, and i promise you - YOU WILL BE DOING A SET IN 1 HOUR 15/30 MINS, just like the rest of us.

Hi,

Thats great ive been doing nails for 71/2 years and it takes me betwee 1hr 1 1/2 sometimes 2hrs depends on which client and mood im in so dont worry, ur doing great! My first year took me about 4hr per set now that is soul destorying.

I noticed you say you do cuticle removal, i wouldnt do this when do nails, i only push them back. If their cuticles r really bad i would remove and get them back another day.

Hope this helps and well done you have nothing to cry about!!

I book all my clients in two hourly..sometimes a set does take me two hours..i did a extreme nail biter and that tookme almost a hour just for a thorough prep:irked:
You sound like you are a real perfectionist..leading to your clients wearing decent enhancements..make sure your pricing reflects your standard of work asap...especially as your mobile?
Quality is more important than timing..and i think colleges etc telling..or promising..students they should be able to do a set in a short amount of time is pretty unrealistic..especially when you want to give clients realistic nails!
This is where it becomes pretty disappointing regarding income expectations fresh out of school.
Just keep focused on your quality and make sure your pricing reflects that.

Are you pre blending? Sculpting also helps cut down on your time:)

Hi,

Thats great ive been doing nails for 71/2 years and it takes me betwee 1hr 1 1/2 sometimes 2hrs depends on which client and mood im in so dont worry, ur doing great! My first year took me about 4hr per set now that is soul destorying.

I noticed you say you do cuticle removal, i wouldnt do this when do nails, i only push them back. If their cuticles r really bad i would remove and get them back another day.

Hope this helps and well done you have nothing to cry about!!
i disagree with this...or maybe i have misread you? Do you mean after pushing back, you are removing cuticle of the plate with a file maybe? Using remover is so much more comfortable for the client and thorough without the risk of over filing..just a gentle once over to remove the shine is needed..nothing more.
Any leftover cuticle, debris on the plate will lead to lifting as will over filing at each appointment..short cuts always lead to a headache..nails pinging off, fill lines, lifting, bacterial infections..not good...This i doubt is what you meant, but thought i would add this for new techs interest.
Also if i were a client i doubt i would want to come back another day??

Gar, i know how you feel:irked:.. I worry after the 11/2 hour mark that the client is getting antsy and it just makes everything worse..
Just keep going.. because hopefully one day we will look at the clock and see we have made record time! (fingers crossed)

you are putting yourself under alot of uneccesary pressure. Why are you so fixed on having to do a set of nails in less than 2 hours? Im sure I speak for 99% of clients when I say I would rather have a 2 hour proper job done, than a job done in half the time, with half the prep and half the skill!

You shouldn't even be looking at the clock. Just concentrate on your work, take each step at a time, thouroughly completey each one as you should. In time, you'll find your time has decreased without you even noticing it.

X

I am currently at the same college as MLNails(the original poster) and to pass our practical exam we must complete a full set of french tip and overlay plus paint one hand red, all in 2 hours. The exam is in 2 weeks time for my class and i am nowhere near that time yet, I am starting to panic a bit but i know all i can do is practise practise practise and hope i can cut my time down.

Latest posts

Back