I feel like a failure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLNails

Reaction score
:cry:Hi Guys,
Nearly had a cry today as yet again a full set took me 2 hrs! I stared my nail technology course in April this year and absolutely loved it - especially with words like eponichium! I have chosen to work from home and mobile as I have two children. I was wondering if I asked a salon for work experience what they would say? Probably nothing favourable. I really feel lost. When I'm doing my full sets I don't muck about, I really feel like I'm going like the clappers, any faster and smoke would appear! I felt a bit tired and emotional tonight after my second 2 hr set and I said to my husband with a trembling bottom lip, "I feel like a failure." "But they look beautiful", he said, bless him. Please any suggestions would be so very much appreciated I follow a prepping procedure from this website which is pretty much the same as I learnt at college, Sanitise, check for contra indications, cuticle removal etc......
Please help..........

Thanks guys

If it makes you feel any better I've been doing nails for nearly 7 years and I did a set yesterday that also took 2 hours - and it felt like 4:eek:!!!!! As long as the client knows the time you take and you're not turning away loads of business just because you are a bit slower then don't fret. Better to take your time and do a good job, than rush a botched job. :hug::hug:

I think we have all felt like this hun :hug:

I even feel like it sometimes and i am nearly five years in (with a 3 year break!):eek:

I think if you got some experience in a salon that would be very useful - however, i have three little ones and for me its just not possible - maybe you should consider some further training if you are feeling a bit wobbly.

But TBH i think 2 hours for a full set is fine - most of mine take 1 and a quarter to one and three quarter hours - you will improve your time the more practice you get.

how are your rebalances/ infill times?

I have recently done a conversion course with creative and can honestly say it was fab (and FREE) i am due to go back on monday for another two hours one-to-one. I learnt more during the conversion than I did on my VTCT:eek:

Dont give up hun, i know its tough and i still have days when i feel like you!

love and :hug:

oh hun

don't fret

practice as much as possible

stay focused, you willl be fine

Dont give up luv, or feel down on yourself, it does get better!! The more sets you do the quicker you will get and i speak from experience. My first ever set took me 3 hours and now, today, take me 1hr - 1hr 10 mins.

Once your overlay is set are you spending a lot of time filling and buffing to get a super smooth finish?? That used to be a problem when i first started as i was fiddling about too much when applying the overlay and causing more imperfections. I now use Creative Nail Design which self-levels and needs minimal buffing when set.

I hope this helps.

Sarah
xx

Hi,
Rebalancing takes me pretty much the same...2 hrs. I just hear everyone mentioning times and I'm starting to freak out. A saving grace is that they really do look lovelly (French) at the end. I actually just read a thread from Tamar all about timing and I feel a tad better after pouring over everyones responses.
I'm so glad that I found this website.......:hug: Thanks for your comments.

i dont think 2 hours is a bad time if your being thorough! i have been doing nails for 12 years, i take 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on what i,m doing.... tips, sculpts, pink and whites, etc... some nails are more challanging than others, so dont fret!

Nearly had a cry today as yet again a full set took me 2 hrs! I stared my nail technology course in April this year and absolutely loved it - especially with words like eponichium! I have chosen to work from home and mobile as I have two children. I was wondering if I asked a salon for work experience what they would say? Probably nothing favourable. I really feel lost. When I'm doing my full sets I don't muck about, I really feel like I'm going like the clappers, any faster and smoke would appear! I felt a bit tired and emotional tonight after my second 2 hr set and I said to my husband with a trembling bottom lip, "I feel like a failure." "But they look beautiful", he said, bless him. Please any suggestions would be so very much appreciated I follow a prepping procedure from this website which is pretty much the same as I learnt at college, Sanitise, check for contra indications, cuticle removal etc......
Please help..........

Thanks guys
Ooooh please don't feel like this :hug:. We have all been there, done that and worn the T-shirt. I still do in fact and have been doing nails for 2 and a half years. My motto is quality, not quantity and speed. Just keep working at it. You will get there but don't compromise the quality of your work.

Now chin up. I promise you that you are not alone and you are not a failure. xx

I have to say the same as some of the other peeps......
Chin up....2 hour is no biggy .....:wink2:

I'm 20 yrs in this profession and it takes me 1 1/2 -2 hrs depending on length, design,client.....

my advise would be .....take your time.....do it right....and you will not only be happy but your clients will be happy as well......

Please help..........

Thanks guys

Hi Hun

Don't worry, I've not been doing nails that long and I did a full set of L&P p&w on sunday and it took me 2.5 hours!!!!

But they looked great and the client was pleased so what the heck!!

do not worry, 2 hours and a dam good set of nails is better than an hour and a pants set.
some days i take 1hr30 some days its 2hrs
2 hours isnt that bad hun honest :hug::hug:

Ive been out of the business for 10 years and now back doing it for last 4 months and it is taking me 2 hours too. I know exactly how you feel - its really frustrating. I'm taking 40 mins to do the prep and apply the tips then 45 mins to blend, and the rest to file to shape buff and polish.

I would be interested to know how much time you more experience tech spend on each section please. Might help get the time down.

Don't Worry 2hrs is the normal time its takes most people to put on a full set.

Aaaaww chick dont worry yourself about times. I take around 1hr30mins to do a full set, but that is on average, I can take longer I can be quicker, it really does depend.
I have one client who insists on having the most intricate of nail art, which I love, and her nails take me about 2hr30mins to complete.

As Sass said aslong as you are letting enough time for each client and they are aware of the time taken, then its fine honestly!

Better to take a little longer and do a good job, than to rush it and produce a rather sorry looking set of nails.

My very first set took about 4 hours, and I can honestly say that they were nothing to write home about.

Practice and patience will yield all the rewards you seek.

whats wrong with 2 hrs...??...nothing wrong with that as far as i am concerned.

just cos the chop shops knock em out in 45 mins...its like a conveyor belt in those places...no personal contact at all.

I take 2 hours for full sets and rebalnces...and i don't feel bad about that at all.

You have only been doing nails since April so 2 hrs for a full set is a fab time, as you have already read on here most of us take between 1,1/2 hrs to 2 hrs depending on the nails and how much we chatter,
It took me 2,1/2 hrs today to remove a set of acrylics by filing them off and then replace the set with fibre glass wraps

Ok....so it took you 2 hours to do a full set. You said the nails looked lovely and I assume the client was pleased. Wheres the big deal.....? If it takes you 2 hours then charge for 2 hours of your time and skill.....
David

Just keep working and try not to think too much about the time...it does get quicker with practice but like Joanne has said I'd rather take 2 hours and do a damn good set of nails than take an hour or so and they look mediocre.:hug:

I only qualified in May and if I do a full set or reballance in 2 hours I'm thrilled!!!:lol::lol:

Just got home from doing a reballance and it took me 2 hrs 15 mins and I thought that wasn't bad.

You're fine - don't worry.:hug:

Latest posts

Back