i get nervous with eyebrow waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any of you geeks wax the hair above the eyebrow or is that a no no?

Yes if a client specifically asks for it & needs it. I do the tops of my own so understand why some peeps want it done, infact im sure ive got upside down eyebrows :green:

Yes. Why have neat lower brows and untidy upper brows. Go for it.

By the way...........I cut a paper strip across ways into about 8 smaller strips. xxx

I must try the oil trick. I love eyebrow shaping, I always use those disposible mascara brushes to brush the brow into shape, I remove the excess hair with wax, after that I shape them with tweezers and constantly brush them into shape to make sure they're as natural as poss. I hated it when pencil thin brows where in, and clients who are convinced they look better if they have the 'tad pole' look - thin all over and a blob of hair on the inside

I used to hate doing eyebrows, when I first started with the pot and spatula, but as cathie says, since I changed to the clean and easy system, about 3 ago I love doing them and have no probs.

Hi, i find that asking the client and using your own common sense helps with this question. I've waxed clients eyebrows that virtually join their hairline, so no matter what you do underneath the eyebrow it's never going to look neat with a great thick bush above. I don't take the obvious thick, terminal hair that actually makes up the eyebrow it is only the velous hairs that i will take. Although i was trained to never take hairs above, i think you need to ask your client what they want.:)
HTH
Also as regards actually waxing the eyebrow, when i apply the wax i don't apply it too thick for when you put the strip over it it spreads like mayonnaise (was what i was taught at college), thus if you apply too much it will take off extra hair. Once the wax is on i also use an orange woodstick and pull the hairs down onto the wax, this will give you a more defined shape and reduce the amount of tweezing you need to do.:biggrin:
Sorry i've waffled on, i do tend to do that, keep up the good work
julie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thank you for the help. but what is the reason that at college people are taught not to wax above the brow?

I think it's because nobody has updated the course manual since many years ago. x

OMG! OMG! I thought I was the only Therapist in the world that's petrified of eyebrow waxing! The finished look is so precise - takes a while to grow back and looks fab!

A year after my Beauty course and I'm still not confident with doing them.

I'm scared of the wax temperature, so thats never too hot, scared of taking off too much hair and scared of bruising the client!

Sorry I cant help, but just thought I'd let you I feel the same way! Great confidence boosting eh, lol!

I was terrified of doing them when I first qualified but now I relish doing them.Especially when it's an eyebrow re-shape.It can change the look of someone so much it's untrue.

I think it comes down to the more you do the more confident you become,bit like anything.Keep at it,it's just experience and practice.We have loads of eyebrow waxing clients.

When I was at college we were taught to put vaseline over any bits we didn't want to wax off,Also never re-use the same wax strip as if any of the wax touches a bit of hair you dont want to remove then it will be waxed off.

We all feel like this,believe me.You will be a fantastic,worry free eyebrow waxer in no time.Keep practicing,go slowly and keep smiling.Use the vaseline trick if you need to.HTH xx

i always find that if i put vaseline on the shape that i want, even if i do get wax on these hairs, they won't come out! since i learnt this little trick i've been a lot more confident! just make sure you take the vaseline off again! xx

I think the more brow waxing you do, the better you become. I've had the odd mishap - thankfully on my own eyebrows - like never re-use a wax strip - I ended up taking half my eyebrow off!!!:lol:

I do wax above the brow, particuarly if someone has very dark hair that is growing into the hairline. I think it is perfectly fine to do this, and gives a lovely precise finish to the brow.

I think the reason we were told not to wax above was for 2 reasons:
1. Its better to take from below to open the eyes up.
2. The re-growth looks a little silly when it is above the brow.

HTH

I think the reason we were told not to wax above was for 2 reasons:
1. Its better to take from below to open the eyes up.
2. The re-growth looks a little silly when it is above the brow.

HTH
Hi Theresa. When I say above the brow, I mean the fine hairs and not the ones from the dense area. Just to give a cleaner line. xxx

:cry: is it just me but i get so nervous with eyebrow waxing that i hate it any tips would be great, give me any other part of the body and i dont have a problem.

all i can say is "why" flower -whats the prob you having with eyebrow waxing.do you vaseline the hairs that you DONT want to rip out? if you feeling uncomfortable with it flower - i would suggest you use this method, the wax wont stick to that - then after you ripped those hairs out, you can always tweeze them - hth

When I first started out 8 years ago, I found eyebrows to be a bit scary... but it just takes practice, practice, practice. I have never used the vaseline trick (wasn't taught it in school). I do apply a thin layer of oil. Then apply a very thin amount of wax where I want it... if I'm nervous about taking too much, then I just don't go right up into the brow, and do a bit more tweezing. I pretty much always wax above the brow... it just makes them look so much cleaner. There are some clients that don't need it, or don't want it, so I don't. But generally I do.

Anyone got any good tips on achieving a really good shape with eyebrows? It's one thing just tidying them up but doing a reshape is what I find the hardest. Is it best to try and achieve the shape with wax or tweezers? Any advice?

Anyone got any good tips on achieving a really good shape with eyebrows? It's one thing just tidying them up but doing a reshape is what I find the hardest. Is it best to try and achieve the shape with wax or tweezers? Any advice?
Don't be afraid to use a ruler or orange stick to measure. Get yourself a white eye pencil to mark your area until you become confident. The client will have their eyes closed and won't see you shaking. You could be doing the dance of the seven veils for all they know.

Deep breath and confidence. You may find it helps you to do the same bit on each brow rather than do one brow and try to match the other one up. Start on the outer edge, then do the same on the other one and so on. xxx

You could be doing the dance of the seven veils for all they know.

Now there's a thought !!

Perhaps that will distract them from the fact that you've just waxed their whole eyebrow off :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marlise

I would again say this comes down to experience and practice.I always use wax first then tweezers to do any fine shaping.I used to be terrified,years ago,especially when someone had really big Denis Healey eyebrows,but now its a delight seeing them walk out with nicely defined, shaped brows.

I never use anything like rulers though or orange sticks,used to use orange stick when I first trained many moons ago but no more.Use whatever you find works for you.For me it's just wax,strips,tweezers pre-wax and witch hazel gel.

If you really struggle with reshapes maybe get some pictures of different shaped eyebrows on the celebrities etc,then see what client likes and use the pic as a guide.HTH xx

Me too I am so worried that I will take too much off or not enough off.

So I always do a good consultation as to what the client wants their eyebrows to look like...some like them thin others don't.

Since I started using the Clean & Easy system a year or so ago eyebrow waxing is so much easier as the really thin head allows you to draw the shape of brow your client wants...I generally tweeze after to get the shape just right.

Still don't like doing them though.

I don't like using the little rollers much at all.. I find it difficult to see where im putting it... Like the big ones for legs etc tho

Latest posts

Back