I have a question, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonymous stylist

Reaction score
I work with my best friend it’s a family business. it was amazing at the start, it still is but I’m not feeling the same as I used too. I still love being a hair stylist but I’m finding myself not wanting to come to work. We all have different ways of doing colours/cuts etc and most of the time I find myself doing it their way instead of my own because it’s easier instead of having a discussion about it wanting to do it my way because it would end up their way against mine anyway so I’m not really showing what I think would look amazing.
As it’s a family business they have control over what they do with everyday from random days off to anything really, which I find unfair but everyone would say “it’s their salon” which I agree is completely true. There’s other little petty things I could moan about but it’s stupid to bring things up.
I’d love to open my own salon but we can all dream.
I just don’t know what to do.
I’m unhappy right now but do I stay unhappy and stay here or loose my best friend which would break my heart and leave? Im stressing out so much I’m crying nearly every night but I can’t loose my best friend :(

What’s your friend’s position in this family business?

What’s your friend’s position in this family business?

Parents are the owners and she’s a Stylist like myself but runs everything, basically manager xx

If she’s the decision maker and considers you her friend, then I’d try talking to her about doing things your way. Something along the lines that at the very least she can allow you to give it a go. If she doesn’t like it, then you can talk again in say a month.
If she’s not willing to give you a chance then I’d consider leaving as there is nothing worse than being unhappy at your place of work

No need to lose her as a friend. There is nothing a reasonable discussion can’t solve

Latest posts

Back