I just can't figure out how to make the smile...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanita

Reaction score

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the site......and to answer your question

YES!

Everyone has a problem with smile lines at first........So what can you do?

Well...read Sam's brilliant tutorial million dollar smiles...THEN
Practise....practise and practise.....

Buy a box of cheap tips and just do smile lines on them until you feel happy took me about a full 360 tip box!!.....I know this might sound daft but when I am pressing and guiding my smiles out to the sides...with every press I say to myself "smile".....since I started doing that I no longer get flatliners like I used to....Well that works for me...and Oh yes I did actually get some training from GMG himself!!

Also don't try to make the smiles too deep at first, a nice gentle smile is easier and more natural looking for the client.......

Stick in there it will all come together with some more practise...HTH

I dont know anyone who could make perfect smile lines straight away without practice. The tutorials are your best bet as they are so easy to understand. I used to practice on tips and have found that they improve the more you do them.
Sorry I cant be of much more help

Last edited:
Hi Tanita

Try when you are practising to make a "V" shape - this will force you to think of an extreme smile. Go straight from the middle - think NORTH WEST and NORTH EAST. Think of a map of Norway - and think I'm going to ***** (in the north west), and I'm going to ***** in the north east!!

For example - to get my students to do deep smile lines I ask them to leave London and go Liverpool, then go to Newcastle - works a treat!!!

GOOD LUCK TANITA!!!!

Wow, thats great! Ill try that! Thanks! :green:

It takes time and practise, do you have a trainer hand, I am still not brill at my smile lines and I have been doing them nearly a year so dont get disheartened it does take time and patience but you will get there if you are determined enough

Mandini said:
Hi Tanita

Try when you are practising to make a "V" shape - this will force you to think of an extreme smile. Go straight from the middle - think NORTH WEST and NORTH EAST. Think of a map of Norway - and think I'm going to ***** (in the north west), and I'm going to ***** in the north east!!

For example - to get my students to do deep smile lines I ask them to leave London and go Liverpool, then go to Newcastle - works a treat!!!

GOOD LUCK TANITA!!!!

Cool advice:D , I'm going to have to give that a try, my smile lines are okay but I have probs with the deep smilelines (like comp smiles) that I really like the look of.

Cheers :wink2: :D

Any advice about doing smiles on natural nails? It's hard to do too... GRRRR!

Gaby said:

Isn't it just :irked:

Hehehehehe!
I've just made a pink french and my nail art.. Not so bad!!!
I paint them with acrylic paint first. I've heard and read a lot of "tips" about french... using a liner, a filbert, a straight one... Everybody seems to have a different way to do it.

Gaby said:
If you are talking about paining one on with enamel Mandini has a good way of doing that too....maybe she will reply to this question on the thread, if not try to PM her:D .....I have her tomorrow for a skills course will mention this question:D

Thanks a lot, dear!!!!!
I would love to hear her!!!!!

If you don't have one of those freaky looking practise hands,fill a pair of rubber glove with flour and secure with an elastice band,glue on your tips and you're away.

This is also helpfull when blending tips as to much friction will cause the glove to burst.HTH

X X

Good one, Becki! Actually, the rubber glove looks better than the trainer hands. Yes, they are a little creepy...

Having a nightmare with my smiles today!!

Got a day where i dont have anything to do so thought ide practice my smile lines...
Lately everyone has been wanting white tip or pre-designed so not done smiles on natural for a while...
So here i am with all my gear around me practicing away and yup, you guessed it, having a nightmare doing them lol, my friend said they look ok and she would be happy with them but im not! they could be better!!

Ive looked around and cant figure how to upload to my gallery (maybe im too new a geek and dont have that privelage yet) :sad:

I guess i'll have to practice practice and practice some more...please excuse me while i go out and scream ...............................................................

Ok thats better :p

Mandini said:
Hi Tanita

GOOD LUCK TANITA!!!!

This is the post already left by Mandini. Think this is what 'nails by design' meant :)

Either I dont know my directions or im just dump cos I still cant vision what you mean mandini :cry:

OPIGeek said:
This is the post already left by Mandini. Think this is what 'nails by design' meant :)

Either I dont know my directions or im just dump cos I still cant vision what you mean mandini :cry:
Mandini is talking smile lines on enhancements in her reply NOT on a natural nail french polish using enamel. It is the french polish using just enamel that I meant she had a good tip ask her about that one.

For the smile on enhancements, I think her description about travelling from London to Liverpool first...think left side upwards of the ''v'' then to Newcastle...think right side upwards of the ''v'...is a good one, as this gives a deep smile and then wipe your brush and clean up the smile into a bit more of a curve by back brushing it being careful not to remove the 2 ears.:)

Mandini PM me. She is right!!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!

what really helped me was sams tutorial on here. (in the tutorials section) i printed it out - then i went out and bought some purple powder (from the mosaic collection) and some cheap nail tips from boots.
i just practised and practised my smiles on the cheap tips - by using the purple powder it made it easier to see where i was going wrong. i also numbered them all and could definately see an improvement. xx

Latest posts

Back