I just want long nails!! help :-(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babezone

Reaction score
Ok so firstly i dont bite my nails and never have done.their a little on the thin side and i guess have a tenancy to break easy.

Its just i really wish i could have long nails the approx length of a more longer set of acrylic nails. enough to be able to do some decent design on.

Ive had acrylics in the past and i guess ive had to practise as well as my friend has doing acrylics on my own hand. but for some unknown reason im still getting abit of lifting around the bottom sides and cuticle area. and if i catch my nail in someway it rips of my natural nail not enough to fall of but enough to cause major discomfort. so anyay i decided to take them off and try and leave them off and use opi nail envy to strengthen them up abit.

they feel so week right now and i have chipped/broke 4 natural free edges in the last 2 days meaning ive had to cut it right back making me having short nails again nothing im doing is seeming to stop this happen and im not even doing anything strenious when they break like for example i went to open the door with the door handle and a nail hit the door when doing so and it put a massiv chip in it.

will i ever get long nails?...... if not then how can i wear acrylic nails without ruining my own nails. its depressing me having short nails and not being able to do anything with them xxx

Im sure others will fight there chosen systems corner but for me I would say go for a healthier alternative & go with Bio Sculpture Soak off Gel instead.

Your own nails get to grow beneath any sculpture or tip extension & so long as you select a technician that is trained by Bio themselves then you shouldnt expect to see any nail damage. In the meantime get yourself some solar oil to help put back some nourishment into your nails. It will do wonders to strengthen them too ...

I have many clients who experience the same problems as you and I have recommended and done fibreglass overlays for strength and protection. I swear by fibreglass and I really think it would suit your needs and your type of nail x

Im sure others will fight there chosen systems corner but for me I would say go for a healthier alternative & go with Bio Sculpture Soak off Gel instead.

Your own nails get to grow beneath any sculpture or tip extension & so long as you select a technician that is trained by Bio themselves then you shouldnt expect to see any nail damage. In the meantime get yourself some solar oil to help put back some nourishment into your nails. It will do wonders to strengthen them too ...
Hey there,

May I ask why you think biosculpture gel is a 'healthier alternative' to L&P?

No enhancements, when applied properly by a fully-trained professional (key), will damage the natural nail.

p.s. to avoid confusion, the natural nails also grow quite well under a coating of L&P.

if not then how can i wear acrylic nails without ruining my own nails. its depressing me having short nails and not being able to do anything with them xxx
Liquid and powder enhancements do not damage the natural nails. Inexperienced and unpracticed techs do. Lets face it, when performing our prep we remove contaminants; shine, oils which would affect adhesion - nowhere does it say: next step, let's take a whacking great lump out of the nail plate ;)

You will be able to wear L&P enhancements when you learn to do them properly, or visit a pro tech. It's all about the practice. And training. Training, training, training - make that your mantra.

To me, it sounds like you are trying to have your nails too long for your life style or are too heavy handed to have your nails the length you have in mind.

If your catching your nail enhancments, causing them to lift off of your natural nails which is causing you to feel "major discomfort", then it is not because the enhancements are not properly attached to your natural nails. Each time this happens, you are causing more damage to your own nails as layers of your nails will be being pulled off attached to the enhancments.

As enhancements are normaly stronger than natural nail, I would have thought that you will also be unable to grow your natural nails to the lenght you have in mind. You will most likely break your nails when they get to a length with is too long for you to work with.

Your also going to have to grow out any damaged nail plate which can take around 6 months.

Sam xx

i hear what your saying linzi and i do agree in the respect that it its definitely the technician that affects the state of your nails,

i personally had L&P for 23 years(biting them inbetween!) and my nails would always break when i didn't have them on, ive tried various treatments over the years including jessica and opi but still didn't have nice nails. Then i trained with bio sculpture and the results have been amazing for me and for my clients. I now after 8 months have nice nails even when the gel isn't on my nails. However even the strongest of nails will naturally break or wear away at the free edge from our daily routines. It is only by having something on them that they will stay perfect unless of course you can have a cook,cleaner and general maid lol to do everything for you

Now having said that just to show you that i can be unbiased...!! i recently had a client who had been having bio sculpture elsewhere where they used primer and her nails were in such a state!!

hopefully i have given information that you can see the good and bad in bothe L&P and Gel..............x

i hear what your saying linzi and i do agree in the respect that it its definitely the technician that affects the state of your nails,

i personally had L&P for 23 years(biting them inbetween!) and my nails would always break when i didn't have them on, ive tried various treatments over the years including jessica and opi but still didn't have nice nails. Then i trained with bio sculpture and the results have been amazing for me and for my clients. I now after 8 months have nice nails even when the gel isn't on my nails. However even the strongest of nails will naturally break or wear away at the free edge from our daily routines. It is only by having something on them that they will stay perfect unless of course you can have a cook,cleaner and general maid lol to do everything for you

hopefully i have given information that you can see the good and bad in bothe L&P and Gel..............x

Oh I wasn't slating bioscupture and nor was I being biased :)

But I believe the 'healthier' system is all in the marketing. I know all systems have their pros and cons but I do like to dispel the myth that L&P is harmful to your nails. Poor prep - overfiling - is the leading cause of nail damage however, once the proper procedure is learnt this can be eradicated.

Now having said that just to show you that i can be unbiased...!! i recently had a client who had been having bio sculpture elsewhere where they used primer and her nails were in such a state!!
So it's all down to the skill of the tech, like we agreed? :D

I strongly agree- acrylics doesnt damage yours nails- but not experienced nail technician DO:Scared:
If u have problem with lifting near cuticle area you can try polymer clear ESPERTO from Mistero Milano company which have special system Cuticle & Control (C&C)- it means: when you applying acrylic, product automatically moves away from the cucticle area preventing lifting and flooding. Also you can file straight away...

Hey there,

May I ask why you think biosculpture gel is a 'healthier alternative' to L&P?

No enhancements, when applied properly by a fully-trained professional (key), will damage the natural nail.

p.s. to avoid confusion, the natural nails also grow quite well under a coating of L&P.

Liquid and powder enhancements do not damage the natural nails. Inexperienced and unpracticed techs do. Lets face it, when performing our prep we remove contaminants; shine, oils which would affect adhesion - nowhere does it say: next step, let's take a whacking great lump out of the nail plate ;)

You will be able to wear L&P enhancements when you learn to do them properly, or visit a pro tech. It's all about the practice. And training. Training, training, training - make that your mantra.

Did I say it was a healthier alternative to L&P ??

Im aware that techs will fight there own systems corner & rightly too, (I did say that) but Bio Sculpture is a healthier alternative to other systems out there & is PROVEN to strengthen nails (so long as the technician is trained correctly as with any system there are dodgy techs out there!)...

I simply suggested Bio Sculpture because it offers a permanent nail colour (French too) that last for weeks without wearing or chipping and is available in over 140 colours. ALSO No primers or bonders are required before application so there is no dehydration of the nail.

Since this lady is experiencing nail weakness I offered her my opinion seeings as though she wanted advice... Clearly you have based your opinion on the work of a dodgy bio technician who uses primer, either because she isnt actually really using Bio Sculpture & isnt actually on Bio Sculptures Recommended List of trained technicians simply because she isnt trained by them :D

CND Shellac has this problem too. Too many untrained techs out there getting there hands on this stuff & applying it incorrectly or lying and using Dodgy Bluesky Shellac & giving the product a bad name when it is counterfeit stuff they are offering.... )

Did I say it was a healthier alternative to L&P ??
Perhaps you just worded wrongly when the OP asked how she could wear L&P and you said she should try the healthier alternative.

Clearly you have based your opinion on the work of a dodgy bio technician who uses primer, either because she isnt actually really using Bio Sculpture & isnt actually on Bio Sculptures Recommended List of trained technicians simply because she isnt trained by them :D
I based the question I asked you on the fact that you said it was a healthier alternative.

CND Shellac has this problem too. Too many untrained techs out there getting there hands on this stuff & applying it incorrectly or lying and using Dodgy Bluesky Shellac & giving the product a bad name when it is counterfeit stuff they are offering.... )
All systems, all treatments in the hair and beauty industries and far beyond have the problems of untrained techs ruining the hard-fought for reputations of the pro techs. It's not specific to any particular system or brand.

Which is why I said it was down to the quality of the techncian ;)

Thanks for all your replys. see my nails wernt 100% perfect but i would say were in quite good condition. and i chose to go to a salon a while back which was a first time for me even having acrylic nails as so many friends said they ruined their nails lol. But i thought wat the heck it cant be that bad so i went. obviously i hadnt done nor had any exirience back then so didnt know what to expect. but they drilled with the electric nail file over my natural nail!! so much so when i came to needing infills i had massiv dents in my nails!.

Also just to add. i dont so much catch them all the time so they pull off it will be the odd time where maybe i dont think like for example i was trying to get a heel off that i had tried on in a shop and and sed my thumb and i obviously did it that hard my thumb sliped and it felt like i had just took my whooole nail off invluding natural nail lol. then because i noticed i had lifting around the cutuce and side walls on other nails and when doing just general tasks that involved nails potentially toucing something i could feel the acrylic nail lifting so didnt wana take the chance of it feeling how my thumb did so took them off....

Having said that my nails had grown lovely underneath a couple of them maybe my problem is the removal of them

I as taught on my corse to use cotton wool soaked in acetone place on my finger then wrap foil around it. This might i add takes me absolutely ages i hate it.... but ive tried soaking nails in acetone too both take just as long.

Does anybody use a more simple way. i feel this does ruin my nails too the removal of them. and frustrates me on howlong it takes any tips?

Thanks for everyones comments i will look into bio i just not sure who would be trained and never wana take the risk of going into a salon only for them to start ruining my nails!! now that i know xx

Thanks for all your replys. see my nails wernt 100% perfect but i would say were in quite good condition. and i chose to go to a salon a while back which was a first time for me even having acrylic nails as so many friends said they ruined their nails lol. But i thought wat the heck it cant be that bad so i went. obviously i hadnt done nor had any exirience back then so didnt know what to expect. but they drilled with the electric nail file over my natural nail!! so much so when i came to needing infills i had massiv dents in my nails!.
See, this is what I'm trying to say.

This is so wrong - and actually makes my nails feel a little sore just reading it :blush: When we remove shine, we use a nice fine grit abrasive and only go over the area once - once removes shine, twice removes nail plate.

Improper removal will also kill your nails. If you think about it - that coating is stuck hard on your nails and if you do anything at all to pull it off, then you're going to be removing nail which only serves to reinforce the damage.

Does anybody use a more simple way. i feel this does ruin my nails too the removal of them. and frustrates me on howlong it takes any tips?
Personally I don't unless I have to. Soaking off all the way though when I do. Yes it takes time, but we don't want to cause damage?

I agree with having a coating on and lots of tlc till the damage grows out and lots of yummy solar oil - from now on, not just till they're grown ;)

Latest posts

Back