I keep making excuses to delay starting out!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkeedee

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am being such a complete wuss about actually starting my nail business.
I qualified last year in natural nails treatments and ever since have delayed going public for lots of reasons.
1. I needed more practice on friends and relatives.
2. I needed to sort my insurance.
3. Had to register as self employed.
4. I needed business cards, advertising flyers etc.
5. Had to contact council and get checked by Environmental Health.
6. Decided i should do the Shellac training at S2.

All the above are now completed and after my Shellac training on Monday, I have run out of excuses not to launch!!
I am nervous on so many levels, I am concerned that other nail techs in the area will be hostile and feel i'm treading on their toes, i'm also a bit rubbish at directions and will be partly mobile so that's a worry (i've got sat nav but still get lost :o), part of me is soooh excited to get started and part of me feels sick.
Do any of you lovely geeks have any words of wisdom or advice to calm my nerves? Also did anyone else feel this scared or am i really just being a big old baby?
Thank you :)

First of all take a deep breath :) we all have these worries when we first start. Start out small and local and build yourself up we all have to walk before we run :)

Don't worry about other techs there are plenty of businesses starting up that rival each other.

Don't feel disheartened if you are slow when you start it all take time.

Take a leap into the deep end, you will enjoy it. You have had the training so show people what you can do :)

Hope this help, I am sure you will be fine! Good luck hun xx

First of all take a deep breath :) we all have these worries when we first start. Start out small and local and build yourself up we all have to walk before we run :)

Don't worry about other techs there are plenty of businesses starting up that rival each other.

Don't feel disheartened if you are slow when you start it all take time.

Take a leap into the deep end, you will enjoy it. You have had the training so show people what you can do :)

Hope this help, I am sure you will be fine! Good luck hun xx
Thank you for your kind words, I am determined to start immediately after I do my Shellac on Monday. I think, as you suggested, I will start by delivering flyers and business cards in my local area so that I don't have to worry about travelling to unfamiliar places just yet. :)

When you do start travelling further afield, check out the address of your client on Google maps or similar. Work your route through from A to B on the AA website etc. Print it out if need be.

When I was mobile, I would be taking a print out of my route and directions with me to places I didn't know of and it really did help me. You can always book your client in for the next day, or day after, and prep your route ready.

As said before, don't worry about rival business, it's what the whole world is coming to now. Do you think Dorothy Perkins worries about New Look and their toes when they set up in the same town? Ok, that's a much bigger scale, but it's still the same kind of thing.

You will do fine hun. Take each client as they come, don't worry about them until you get there. Concentrate on making your work as good as it can be and getting those clients to book back in.

Good luck. x

Other nail techs being hostile? If they are then they obviously aren't very good as long as you are not monstrously undercharging.
There's always need for competition to make sure there is quality and a good price. Think of clothes shops. They are all trying to give quality and value, all around the same price's.

So don't worry about hostility. Xoxo

Thanks to you both for your advice, it's much appreciated. I see your point about the clothes shops :lol:.
I don't think I'm undercharging, I have based my prices on the surrounding salon prices and have kept mine similar (maybe 50p under). I know of a few mobile techs in my area that have advertised Shellac at £15.00 and under but I don't see how they can ever make money with those prices.
I will be doing Shellac at £19.50 initially, would you say that was about right?

I'm not a nail tech so can't comment on pricing. Myself, I charge more than local salons and am priced way above other mobiles in the area, so my competition is laughing thinking I don't get much work, where as it may be true, I do less work for the same money.

Never undercharge urself! Xoxo

I felt the same when I first wanted to start out. I would go out and do leaflet drops and then get scared when a number I didn't know rang incase I didn't know what to say and was put on the spot lol was totally irrational! obviously I got over that pretty quickly you sound like you definately know what you are doing now and ready to get out there Just enjoy it, being your own boss is amazing I never get bored and it's exciting when you get new clients. You'll look back in 6 months and wonder what you were worried about.

Good luck and enjoy it

Lily xx

As others have said, we have all cacked our pants when the first client calls. Just do it, don't over think it, you've done your training, bought your flyers etc. Think of it as recouping your money back. Once you have that first client out the way, you'll wonder why you were stressing so much. :)

Aww thanks everybody, it's nice to know it's not just me being a wussypants and that others have had the same feelings. I will definitely be cacking my pants :) when a new number rings but am gonna be gutted if no-one rings at all!!! xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back