I know you trained stylists will prob shout at me...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Biscuit

Reaction score
.. I am a trained Nail Tech and I can understand that if an untrained person wanted advice from me on their nails involving all the chemicals I'd be reluctant! But hear me out here peeps! Sorry its long-winded.. but I do get to my point! LOL!

I am naturally brunette, but now a tinted blonde, every 4 weeks I get my regrowth done, using Wella Koleston Perfect 12/11 with 12% Peroxide.

My hairdresser works from home and hasn't found her certificates since moving so still has to buy when back in London at cash and carry's that she is registered with there or I buy the colour with my trade discount at Sally's and pay her for actually doing the work.

Anyhoo, I was meant to get my hair done on Monday, but my dog fell gravely ill over the bank hol and to cut a long story short my dog is still very unwell and the vet fees are over £300 so far.. So I cancelled my hair appt due to being so upset and also so skint.

I now know that I won't be able to get my hair done for at least six weeks (When I next have the cash.) and my roots are already well over half an inch, so I spent about £6 earlier in Sally's on a mixing bowl, brush and peroxide (I already have the Koleston.) with a view to doing it myself on this occassion... As I am depressed enough already, without looking like a tramp with minging roots as well.... !

But I got home and realised that I have no idea on mix ratios for the tint and peroxide, I have Googled it and search on here... But nada.. Can't find the info I need.

I don't want to just try any old ratio and end up causing a disaster! But I don't know if anyone on here would be kind enough to share with me the info I need.

The way I see it is that I will go back to my stylist next time, she's a single mum and needs her work, plus I consider her a friend now. Plus on the arguement that I am messing with chemicals I am not trained in, I'd say that if I bought some Clairol or Wella packet from Boots it's a similar thing isn't it?

What's your thoughts geeks? Will you share your knowledge with ol' skanny roots here?!
:sad:

Miss B.
xxxxxx

Hi.
I personally don't use koleston very often.
If you look inside the box you will find the instruction leaflet, which will tell you the correct ratio.
All brands of colour vary on the ratio. I am not 100% sure about Koleston, so am unable to help you.
Some are 1+1 others are 1 +1/2.
My advice to you is look on the leaflet and it WILL tell you.
Hth.
Sorry I can't be any more help to you.
Good luck with it anyway.
xx

Hi.
I personally don't use koleston very often.
If you look inside the box you will find the instruction leaflet, which will tell you the correct ratio.
All brands of colour vary on the ratio. I am not 100% sure about Koleston, so am unable to help you.
Some are 1+1 others are 1 +1/2.
My advice to you is look on the leaflet and it WILL tell you.
Hth.
Sorry I can't be any more help to you.
Good luck with it anyway.
xx

Hiya,

Thank you.

I did check the leaflet, but it says "Mix 1+2 with Welloxon Perfect 9% or 12%" I have no idea what "mix 1+2" means for a start and Welloxon Perfect?!? What's that?!!! Is that the Wella branded peroxide?

Thanks.

Welloxon perfect is the wella branded peroxide. Don't use 12% on your scalp. Use 9%.
1+2 means 1 part colour to 2 parts peroxide.
For example if you use 50ml of colour you would use 100ml of peroxide.
Most tubes are 60ml.
If you use the whole tube for example you will need 120 ml of peroxide.

If you use half the tube - you will need 60 ml of peroxide.

BUT DO NOT PUT 12% ON YOUR SCALP. 12% is only for off the scalp techniques. (foil or cap)

hth.

I'm not a stylist but am a "try it and see if it works" kinda girl!
But saying that.. i would never try and mix the stuff from the wholesalers.
If you really are desparate can you not use a box tint?
Less chance of going wrong, orange, bald etc.
xxx
Good luck though.
xxx
Tammy

Welloxon perfect is the wella branded peroxide. Don't use 12% on your scalp. Use 9%.
1+2 means 1 part colour to 2 parts peroxide.
For example if you use 50ml of colour you would use 100ml of peroxide.
Most tubes are 60ml.
If you use the whole tube for example you will need 120 ml of peroxide.

If you use half the tube - you will need 60 ml of peroxide.

BUT DO NOT PUT 12% ON YOUR SCALP. 12% is only for off the scalp techniques. (foil or cap)

hth.

Oh thank you hun, that's brilliant. Thank you. I normally only need 2/3 of a tube on my regrowth, so that would mean that I need 80ml peroxide yeah??

I never knew that about the 12%, the salon I went to for years before used to use 12% and my lady who works from home always does, I have never had any probs except for a bit of itching for the first few mins, then it's fine after it settles.

What can happen with using 12% on the scalp? Will 9% lift my hair enough then? I ask, as my hair is naturally very warm toned and using 12/1 for instance made it look a bit ginger-blonde, so my old salon said 12/11 and 12% was my best option, which does actually acheive a fairly natural colour.

Thanks.

I'm not a stylist but am a "try it and see if it works" kinda girl!
But saying that.. i would never try and mix the stuff from the wholesalers.
If you really are desparate can you not use a box tint?
Less chance of going wrong, orange, bald etc.
xxx
Good luck though.
xxx
Tammy

Hiya,

I'm normally that way inclined too, but my hair is only just getting back in condition after I stopped having it hi-lighted it and had most of the over-processed hair hacked off in favour of a "kinder" tint... I was reluctant to use a box tint as I don't want to end up with a stripe round my head when it grows, as I understand that tint won't lift tint, so I need the regrowth to match the rest of my hair.

I was thinking about a trying strand test... Hmmmm!

It all looks so easy when my stylist does it!!!!!!!

he he, that's what our nail clients say. :green:
Only joking! I'm sure the hair geeks will give you fab advice.
Let us know how it goes.

xxxxxxxxxx

my question is " Are you sure that the color you picked up from sally's is the right shade that your hairstylist uses?"
You use a different tone and you are going to get a banned of color.

That is because we spent alot of money and time learning it. ;)

my question is " Are you sure that the color you picked up from sally's is the right shade that your hairstylist uses?"
You use a different tone and you are going to get a banned of color.

That is because we spent alot of money and time learning it. ;)

Yes, I have used 12/11 for years and normally buy it and my stylist mixes and applies it.

I meant in my other post that I would be reluctant to buy an off-the-shelf boxed dye from Boots for my regrowth on this desperate occassion as it won't match the 12/11 that I have always used.

he he, that's what our nail clients say. :green:
Only joking! I'm sure the hair geeks will give you fab advice.
Let us know how it goes.

xxxxxxxxxx

I know.. Maybe I should have learnt hair instead! LOL!

Will do, but I am scared now!

Hun what are you going to do if this goes wrong, if you misunderstand an instruction and end up with a hair disaster or even chemical burns? I know you have seen your stylist do it time and time again, but then so have my clients seen me do their nails and I think we know the outcome if i handed them my brush!!!!

I understand that your circumstances are difficult at the mo, but I think unsightly roots are far preferable to the damage you could do with products that your stylist took 2 years to learn to use. It's your call hun and you could get lucky ... and then again ... OUCH it doesn't bear thinking about!

Maybe see it in reverse too .. what advice would you give a hair geek that couldn't get to her nail tech for a while? Would you give her instructions on how to use your pro products, or would you say wait and don't risk the damage that using pro products in untrained hands could do?

having a ban in the hair is not your only worry..there is the fact that over lapping can cause some major damage , then you got the worry of getting it all even..etc.
I have been a hairstylist for 26 years and I have never done my own hair at home. Why? Because I know the things that can go wrong.

.. I am a trained Nail Tech and I can understand that if an untrained person wanted advice from me on their nails involving all the chemicals I'd be reluctant! But hear me out here peeps! Sorry its long-winded.. but I do get to my point! LOL!

I am naturally brunette, but now a tinted blonde, every 4 weeks I get my regrowth done, using Wella Koleston Perfect 12/11 with 12% Peroxide.

My hairdresser works from home and hasn't found her certificates since moving so still has to buy when back in London at cash and carry's that she is registered with there or I buy the colour with my trade discount at Sally's and pay her for actually doing the work.

Anyhoo, I was meant to get my hair done on Monday, but my dog fell gravely ill over the bank hol and to cut a long story short my dog is still very unwell and the vet fees are over £300 so far.. So I cancelled my hair appt due to being so upset and also so skint.

I now know that I won't be able to get my hair done for at least six weeks (When I next have the cash.) and my roots are already well over half an inch, so I spent about £6 earlier in Sally's on a mixing bowl, brush and peroxide (I already have the Koleston.) with a view to doing it myself on this occassion... As I am depressed enough already, without looking like a tramp with minging roots as well.... !

But I got home and realised that I have no idea on mix ratios for the tint and peroxide, I have Googled it and search on here... But nada.. Can't find the info I need.

I don't want to just try any old ratio and end up causing a disaster! But I don't know if anyone on here would be kind enough to share with me the info I need.

The way I see it is that I will go back to my stylist next time, she's a single mum and needs her work, plus I consider her a friend now. Plus on the arguement that I am messing with chemicals I am not trained in, I'd say that if I bought some Clairol or Wella packet from Boots it's a similar thing isn't it?

What's your thoughts geeks? Will you share your knowledge with ol' skanny roots here?!

Miss B.
xxxxxx

Hi there if you have had 12 /11 on your hair before with 12% you must have quite dark hair or orangey undertones, as its very ash but it works well on that type of hair,

12% can sting a lot and may burn sensitive skin if you get the ratio wrong

if you take a chance and do this you could end up without a stylist and friend as she may get upset , and it could add up to corrective colouring which is more costly in the long run :) all the best any ways minky

might be too late here and if so i hope your hair colour went well......but this is what i would have done....

as you said the girl who does your hair is more of a friend now....i would have asked her if there was any chance she could help you out at this difficult time and that you could give her a post dated check or as much as you could afford...just to do the roots for you....as a friend i am sure she would help rather than risk you doing something wrong with your hair.

you'd do it for her I'm sure...

i am a real scaredy cat with my hair and wouldn't dare do anything myself to it...and i trained to fully qualified...(although it was 15 years ago...:lol:)

hope your poorly dogs on the mend...xxx

might be too late here and if so i hope your hair colour went well......but this is what i would have done....

as you said the girl who does your hair is more of a friend now....i would have asked her if there was any chance she could help you out at this difficult time and that you could give her a post dated check or as much as you could afford...just to do the roots for you....as a friend i am sure she would help rather than risk you doing something wrong with your hair.

you'd do it for her I'm sure...

i am a real scaredy cat with my hair and wouldn't dare do anything myself to it...and i trained to fully qualified...(although it was 15 years ago...:lol:)

hope your poorly dogs on the mend...xxx

Hiya,

Thanks for that and thanks everyone for their advice. I don't want to ask her to do it on a post-dated cheque, I think I will just try and scrape the money together.. or just commit myself to looking like a tramp for a few weeks!... But hey, I do have beautiful looking nails! LOL!

I have chickened out of doing it myself now because of everyone's advice! ;)

My dog is still pretty poorly to be honest, but I have been working from home to keep and eye on her and to try and help her with a little eating and taking her outside for the loo. It appears she had a severe liver infection, we could have lost her had we not got her treated when we did, saying that she is not out of the woods yet, she is going back to the vets tomorrow to have more blood tests and to see how her liver function is looking. We are trying to be hopeful.

Thanks everyone,
Miss B. xx

Hi there if you have had 12 /11 on your hair before with 12% you must have quite dark hair or orangey undertones, as its very ash but it works well on that type of hair,

12% can sting a lot and may burn sensitive skin if you get the ratio wrong

if you take a chance and do this you could end up without a stylist and friend as she may get upset , and it could add up to corrective colouring which is more costly in the long run :) all the best any ways minky

Hiya,

Yes, my hair is naturally very dark brown with warm undertones and 12/1 made it a ginger-blonde. I find that the 12/11 achieves a natural looking blonde that suits my pale complexion.

The 12% never stings, it just itches for about 5 mins when it first goes on, then calms down. So my stylist must have the ratio right I'd assume.

Based on everyone's advice I am going to return the bits to Sally's and get a refund.

Thanks.
Miss B. xx

Hiya,

Based on everyone's advice I am going to return the bits to Sally's and get a refund.

ya know..sometimes we are the worst critics on ourselves and what we think we look like (crap) is not what anyone else is seeing. Hang in there, I think you will be happier with the roots for a little while longer than possible flaming orange strips. :|
Hope your dog does a complete recovery. We here in the states are having a dog food recall( dogs dying )
Hang in there.

ya know..sometimes we are the worst critics on ourselves and what we think we look like (crap) is not what anyone else is seeing. Hang in there, I think you will be happier with the roots for a little while longer than possible flaming orange strips. :|
Hope your dog does a complete recovery. We here in the states are having a dog food recall( dogs dying )
Hang in there.

Thank you.

I hope my dog recovers too, she's very much two steps forward one step back at the moment. She's 14 years old, but acts much younger, so I hope she fights it.

I did hear about that, poisoned or contaminated dog food or something wasn't it? How awful, what a needless way for peoples dogs to die.. So sad. Hope nothing like that happens over here. My heart goes out to people who have lost their pets because of this.

personally i wouldnt chance it not with it being colour im sorry to say this but
the fact of not seeing her certificates and using your own card to purchase
the products off your own card.
warning all she would have to do is get in touch with the training school she trained with to get copies in my eyes no certs not trained in that area
deehair

Latest posts

Back