I know you're not meant to...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olive293

Reaction score
... But I toned with KP high lift last night. She was so pleased with the result.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 153
Why? Had you run out of CT?
Did you mix it with 40 vol?

i do this all the time its great :) x

@AcidPerm what is going on with the world[emoji15][emoji15]

I had everything with me (was mobile at a friends house). I have never done it before and was with a friend who says she does it regularly at her salon. I work alone so I suppose I wanted to try it out whilst having the input and agreance of someone else with me.

I had everything with me (was mobile at a friends house). I have never done it before and was with a friend who says she does it regularly at her salon. I work alone so I suppose I wanted to try it out whilst having the input and agreance of someone else with me.

I wouldn't recommend doing it again.

Highlifts are made to lift and provide intense tone (the clues in the name). Due to this the ammonia content is MUCH higher than regular tint and will in fact destroy compromised hair where regular tint would not.

@Olive293 The reason that you generally don't want to tone with highlift is that by running a product that is so alkaline over hair that has been already lightened you are over lifting the cuticle and eventually it won't hold onto any colour. If you are mixing it with a high developer like 30 or 40 vol you will also eventually sensitise the hair making it weaker and prone to breakage. If you were toning a full head lightener it would likely also cause scalp irritation.

So preferably once you have achieved your desired level of lift with your lightener you would tone with a demi permanent, especially an acidic demi. If you dont need to lift the hair anymore then you don't need something so powerful.

However there are times when you might tone with a permanent colour (although I have never gone as far as highlift) - if you want to actually create more lift. But don't rely on using them to lift, it is more gentle and predictable to lift the hair correctly first with lightener. It looks as if in the photo the toner actually shifted the colour to a lighter level. But next time I would refresh the tone with a demi shade. Also remember that permant toners will lift the natural hair at the roots if you are highlighting.

A very very long time ago when I was less experienced I would prelighten a friends hair and then tint it with majirel 10.1 or 10 1/2.1 + 20 or even 30 vol. And to be honest it was the whitest hair you have ever seen in your life :D But of course wouldn't do that today. :p

@Olive293 The reason that you generally don't want to tone with highlift is that by running a product that is so alkaline over hair that has been already lightened you are over lifting the cuticle and eventually it won't hold onto any colour. If you are mixing it with a high developer like 30 or 40 vol you will also eventually sensitise the hair making it weaker and prone to breakage. If you were toning a full head lightener it would likely also cause scalp irritation.

So preferably once you have achieved your desired level of lift with your lightener you would tone with a demi permanent, especially an acidic demi. If you dont need to lift the hair anymore then you don't need something so powerful.

However there are times when you might tone with a permanent colour (although I have never gone as far as highlift) - if you want to actually create more lift. But don't rely on using them to lift, it is more gentle and predictable to lift the hair correctly first with lightener. It looks as if in the photo the toner actually shifted the colour to a lighter level. But next time I would refresh the tone with a demi shade. Also remember that permant toners will lift the natural hair at the roots if you are highlighting.

A very very long time ago when I was less experienced I would prelighten a friends hair and then tint it with majirel 10.1 or 10 1/2.1 + 20 or even 30 vol. And to be honest it was the whitest hair you have ever seen in your life :D But of course wouldn't do that today. :p
She actually mixed it with 1.9%

She actually mixed it with 1.9%
So it definitely didn't lighten it anymore, the tone was obviously so intense. It literally took seconds. Like scary fast

@Olive293 I have only seen highlights toned with highlift once before and the result was blue :eek:. Good that you got the result you were looking for, but no need to use something so strong!

I've seen girls in salon use the high lift when clearly a demi would have better.

Even if you use a low % developer. The lift is in the high lift tint itself.

If I want to tone and break the base I will use a highlift to tone as it does both simultaneously. Luo 10.01 for instance gives cool highlights with a softer base. Luo po1 however will only ever so slightly shift the base but deposit a bluish ash quickly.

In coloring courses by loreal we were told to use majirel to tone if the base is not perfectly even or if applying takes some time. With 6% a 10.21 for example takes a full time time development so you can perfectly just retone the root and it will not overdevelop within seconds.

In actual salon life I mostly use richesse with 4,5% on difficult situations as it is still much gentler to the scalp after lightening and nobody got time for 2 full colouring processes!

It may look nice now but you a compromising the quality of the hair, and the tone will fade quicker. If you used a 9/60 illumina with pastel you would have had the same result and better hold.

I would have cut a bit more off of the length aswell, looks super damaged

Hey Jamie are you back then? How was it working on cruise ship?

Hi katy, ive been back since december just havnt been on this website much!! I will pm you x

Latest posts

Back