"I like what I use"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nonacrylicgel

Reaction score
I am generally trying to understand why people in this "the nail business" decide to become emotionally attached to their products.

If I was shown tommorrow that by using apple mac computers in my business I could double my profits AND exceed customer expectations and improve all round health standards then I would be buying apple macs this very night.

I happen to absolutely love pc's but business is business.

.....and I hope for some new geeks posting as opposed to SOSO. So I can try and get a genuine handle on soemthing that mystifies me.

I have other business which is not nails and recently we as industry all invested in new products that made us more profitable, Now I loved my relationships with my former suppliers but 25% more profit and less overhead got me excited.

Is it because the nail business has not become a true business yet as many still practice at home as almost a hobby?

Serious answers please.

Hiya,
I feel that people in the nail business stick with what is good and unlike other business, They are loyal to who have helped them get where they are.
If i am happy with a company no matter, How many new companies came into play i would always stick with the one thats products i believe to be the best.
As doing nails for an hobby i doubt it.

I can see that.

But apple mac for example was my original computer in my life and helped me get on in business. But I changed and evolved to pc's when the writing was on the wall.

As for nail people who operate as a "paying hobby", big time..... you'd probably be amazed at what some people will invest in a hobby.

lesley1965 said:
Hiya,
I feel that people in the nail business stick with what is good and unlike other business, They are loyal to who have helped them get where they are.
If i am happy with a company no matter, How many new companies came into play i would always stick with the one thats products i believe to be the best.
As doing nails for an hobby i doubt it.

nonacrylicgel said:
Serious answers please.

PMSL thats really funny, coming from you!!!

nonacrylicgel said:
Is it because the nail business has not become a true business yet as many still practice at home as almost a hobby?

What?! How is this industry NOT a 'true' business ?! JUST because people practise at home?! Are you saying in order for the industry to be a 'real', 'proper' one, everyone should be out and working in a salon?! What is wrong with working or even practising at home?! NOTHING!! A NAIL TEK IS A NAIL TEK, NO MATTER WHERE THEY WORK!!!!!!

nonacrylicgel said:
I am generally trying to understand why people in this "the nail business" decide to become emotionally attached to their products.

If I was shown tommorrow that by using apple mac computers in my business I could double my profits AND exceed customer expectations and improve all round health standards then I would be buying apple macs this very night.

I happen to absolutely love pc's but business is business.

.....and I hope for some new geeks posting as opposed to SOSO. So I can try and get a genuine handle on soemthing that mystifies me.

I have other business which is not nails and recently we as industry all invested in new products that made us more profitable, Now I loved my relationships with my former suppliers but 25% more profit and less overhead got me excited.

Serious answers please.
Ok here are my tuppence worth.............

I become attached to a product if it gives me exactly what I am looking for......Not so much emotionaly attached but professionaly attached......

Reliability, great product support, product stability aso.

I have been in this Nail business for over 12 years....so not so much a hobby, but a good sound business....

So long enough by my reckoning to know what I am looking for in a product and my suppliers...........

I have had so many products demo'd to me in my Salon, that I have lost count..........

Some had been demo'd so badly that even if the prodcut was any good, the skill of the Demonstrator has put me right off.

Because a Demonstrator represents a company, and if they are naff what am I as a customer to think !!!!

My time is money and it isn't fun , if you have to chase orders, get products that just don't cut it......this all costs me money......

Yes I might be able to cut my costs if I would choose a cheaper brand, but with what results............. Longer infill time, unessecary work because of product breakdown, chasing orders, in other words, what I save on product cost, I will have to give back out of my earnings in time, to my client or time spend away from potential clients as I am busy with admin stuff........

So I went for a company that offers, products developed by them for them, so their product knowledge is fantastic.........

training on any troubleshooting areas........

sound advice.............

marketing support.......

on going product development, not a company that stands still.....

not a company that only offers me only one system.......

afterall I have a large client base, I deal with regular clients, but also out of country visitors........

So I never have to turn anyone away, because I just only do this and not that system............

I can say that since I have choosen Creative, I have been more then satisfied with their products, the support and there promt reply to any questions related to any area of my business............

So my thoughts are "If you find the one that work for you, stick with it"
as some products and some suppliers are as my good old German mum used to say " Fur coat and no knickers"
JMHO and I am sticking to it!!!!!

I wouldn't say every Tech "becomes emotionally attached to their products" as you put it. I for one along with many other Techs out there try new products on a regular basis for the reasons you already mentioned (apple macs/pc's). Obviously if I like a certain products I will continue to use it but I will always try new products too!

I hope this post isn't leading somewhere else (like onto the subject of your other posts). And if it is serious, I think you have a nerve coming on here stirring & then wanting to be part of it all!!!!

BTW I am a GEL Tech!

End of.

Unfortunately our mission should be to make being a nail techinican comparable with any other serious business profession.

This industry's heritage is against us as we strive for recognition. We talk about education and professional standards well we won't get that from being thought of as a home based industry.

I have no objection or complaint against people working from home as people as long as this is just thier starting point. I object "IF" these people don't project a professional businesslike image and on the face of it that is hard from the front living room...next to last nights washing....

...and your right, a nail tec. is a nail tec. but how much credence would you give to your solicitor, doctor, dentist, car mechanic, etc working from his/her front room. I for one want them to be seen to be in the business if I choose to use their services.

Nails hasn't even got a seperate yellow pages listing, that is a pretty good measure of how we are percieved as an indusrty!:mad:

So how do WE change this!

Ok...

so what about nail teks that CANT work in a salon due to disabilities or any other probs??

And think about how many other people there are running or working for successful businesses who work from home ?! Are these not seen as professionals then?

"So how do WE change this!"

If people are HAPPY to be working as the way they are...then we do NOT need to change anything!!!!!!!

nonacrylicgel said:
We talk about education and professional standards well we won't get that from being thought of as a home based industry.
does this mean you wont supply to mobile or home based nail techs?

nonacrylicgel said:
i have no objection or complaint against people working from home as people as long as this is just thier starting point. I object "IF" these people don't project a professional businesslike image and on the face of it that is hard from the front living room...next to last nights washing....
Lots of home techs have a room done out specifically

nonacrylicgel said:
So how do WE change this!

Why dont you tell us? :rolleyes:

BTW I only ever came here because one of the powers that be came up in a standard search engine request making a derisory but public comment.

You see in 8 years or so I managed never to make derisory comments, in fact I quoted strongly about the quality of CND training and I always said " Creative are undoubtedly the best acrylic products." Although I believe EZ-flow is coming up fast.

I visited and relised that this site that was signposted non-product related only seems to be talking about one product and the posters were signed off as mostly cnd......so I thought freedom of speech or propoganda site????

Well I got freedom of speech....sort off. MAybe i will be little jimminy cricket but I am still surprised that this independant site seems to garner such strong reactions to non CND speak..... but them I enjoy being pilloried on this non-product biased site.....

...if we are all so independent why do we sign off so strongly and mention the brand names in like every other thread???? maybe I'm the dumb one...????

Now that's a quote that will save people thinking for themselves....

But honestly, if you want to state that this is a pure geek site then what's so wrong with my thoughts and opinions, they are as valid as everyone elses - aren't they. Why are they such a "wind-up" if everyone here is open minded and wanting to improve their and mine profession....

Nonacrylicgel from what ive read of your posts. I think that your main objective on these boards, is to try and wind people up.
Surely if you want to help the nail industry, Then maybe it would be better to not let your personal opinion reflect in the threads you create.
You could learn from other figures in the industry at how to communicate to people in a polite non agressive manner.
I will not waste any more time on bouncing posts back to you, Just so you get attention all the time.

My solicitor works from her home.........
Grand old place just of Harley Street........
Just because she is home based doesn't mean her advice is useless or of less value to me..........

As for Home based Techs....
most of them work in a specially designed area, spend more money on their design and layout then some shop Techs would.........
As they have more design freedom.........
So I think that this is totaly unimportant............
As for yellow pages, they have a huge listing on plumbers............... and a lot of them are Cowboys.................
So I think thats unimportant..........
What is important is the quality of service, the education and qualification of a Nail Technician..................
And with the age of the Web, most Techs have Websites and have submitted these to search engines..........
I search the net, don't even know where my yellow pages are.......!!!!!!

I see home use as merely the "incubation" stage for tech's to move into commerciality and into the high street.......

To eventually be completely replaced by a good commerical course at a local college.

As a general policy, as you asked; we look to business start-ups, not part-time front room ventures. Star nails and the Cash 'n' Carry's cater perfectly well for this kind of client. I don't percieve the "business" done in a normal front room. But I do know of business people who operate from rooms in houses that would not look out of place on the high street and they stock retail and believe themselves (quite rightly) to offer a comparable service to the high street. They tend to have invested £5 or £6,000 in the job.

Well you see the vast majority of nail techs don't come on the web and haven't even got email addresses. Most normal people do use the yellow pages or other methods that don't involve the web.

Because of your own skills and familiarity with pc's and the net you believe the population to be the same. Bad news you are 1 in a 10,000. Ask BT what the take up of broadband is per head of population.

And fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view as technicans we sell to the 9,999 every day, not the one.

[/QUOTE] And with the age of the Web, most Techs have Websites and have submitted these to search engines..........
I search the net, don't even know where my yellow pages are.......!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I agree that many of the "posters" on this site are creative trained, but surely that says something for creative's products and training!

There are many nail technicians on here who are not creative trained, they are not thrown out of chat rooms or told there products are sub standard, they are welcomed and helped when they have a problem and help others.

I have not always used creative and wouldn't continue to use them if i wasn't getting the results i wanted from there products, this is a buisness but a nail tech that isn't passionate about what they do doesn't measure up to much and we are here because we r PASSIONATE ABOUT WHAT DO!
I want to achieve the best results and with creative i can!
Paula xx

nonacrylicgel said:
BTW I only ever came here because one of the powers that be came up in a standard search engine request making a derisory but public comment.

You see in 8 years or so I managed never to make derisory comments, in fact I quoted strongly about the quality of CND training and I always said " Creative are undoubtedly the best acrylic products." Although I believe EZ-flow is coming up fast.

I visited and relised that this site that was signposted non-product related only seems to be talking about one product and the posters were signed off as mostly cnd......so I thought freedom of speech or propoganda site????

Well I got freedom of speech....sort off. MAybe i will be little jimminy cricket but I am still surprised that this independant site seems to garner such strong reactions to non CND speak..... but them I enjoy being pilloried on this non-product biased site.....

...if we are all so independent why do we sign off so strongly and mention the brand names in like every other thread???? maybe I'm the dumb one...????

Now that's a quote that will save people thinking for themselves....

But honestly, if you want to state that this is a pure geek site then what's so wrong with my thoughts and opinions, they are as valid as everyone elses - aren't they. Why are they such a "wind-up" if everyone here is open minded and wanting to improve their and mine profession....

Because of your own skills and familiarity with pc's and the net you believe the population to be the same. Bad news you are 1 in a 10,000. Ask BT what the take up of broadband is per head of population.

Not according to published figures ....and some people still use dial up modem and not broadband.....and not all use BT either......​
I am one in 29 million, where the 10,000 comes from I don't know........​
Most recent figures..........as you can see an increase of internet per household..................​

"Germany, the UK and Italy are now well established as having the largest Internet populations in
Europe," Goosey continued. "Of the countries covered in this report, Germany (35.6 million), the United Kingdom (29 million) and Italy (22.7 million) have the largest number of people outside the U.S. with Internet access via a home PC, together accounting for more than half (54 percent) of thetotal for all 10 countries (160.6 million) outside the U.S.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]April 25, 2001
[size=+0]UK Population Rushes to Get Connected

By uk.internet.com staff [/size]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]LONDON -- NetValue reports that 1.4 million UK households joined the Net revolution during the past six months...

According to the company's tracking of the UK online population, over 9 million households in the country - 37.2% of all UK households - are now connected to the Internet. It appears that the country's acceptance of the Net has also been experiencing particularly rapid growth over the past year, with NetValue reporting that 26.8% of online households took the step to get connected during the past 12 months. Only 45.6% of Net-enabled households have had an Internet connection for two years or more. With an estimated 1.41 active users per household, these figures equate to a home Internet population of almost 13 million. This is also a more active surfing population: in March, users connected on average on 10.5 days for a total of 7.4 hours over 24 different sessions compared to 8.7 days in December with 5.8 hours of surfing spread across 19.4 sessions. Last month, Jupiter MMXI released similar figures pointing to a rise in the UK Internet population to 13.5 million during February, the average user spending nearly seven hours online a month.

[/size][/font]
But as this is going way off the original topic, I am off to have a drink !​
[/size][/font]

Ruth,

of those households do you think its the teenagers who are online or the mums.

...my generation and my mums generation, the ones with serious disposable income..... not online.

.....statistics need analysis. raw data is meaningless.

Your use of cutting and pasting and web searches just proves my point that you are not the norm. when it comes to computer use.

I wish you were right it would make advertising a damm sight easier and cheaper....

well i think you have hit the nail right on the head ( excuse the pun ). i quite often read the posts on this site but very rarely log in as i feel that this sight is very one sided, towards a certain company. These very highly strung nail tech's seem to think that there beloved creative have the answer to all the problems under the sun. i am not anti creative as there products are very good but this industry is still small and and individual or company could be overtaken by someone or something better overnight.

jo sims said:
well i think you have hit the nail right on the head ( excuse the pun ). i quite often read the posts on this site but very rarely log in as i feel that this sight is very one sided, towards a certain company. These very highly strung nail tech's seem to think that there beloved creative have the answer to all the problems under the sun. i am not anti creative as there products are very good but this industry is still small and and individual or company could be overtaken by someone or something better overnight.
hi jo
i hope this isn't sour grapes from you
set112.gif
...as i recall it wasn't too long ago you had your wings clipped for posting
a positively ludicrous statement and i quote "As we all know it is the chinese that use MMA's."
set18.gif

you ruffled a few feathers then too , but i believe you were accepted for what you are (i hope) a new tech looking to learn from this site who had made a statement in haste mrs geek explained to all users of this site that you had sent your apologies and we were all ,that's each and everyone of us highly strung nail techs looking forward to 'more postive and understanding posts' from yourself in the future
obviously we shouldn't have taken you on face value ..as it is now quite clear you are just looking for an arguement
set17.gif

nonacrylicgel quote:
I have no objection or complaint against people working from home as people as long as this is just thier starting point. I object "IF" these people don't project a professional businesslike image and on the face of it that is hard from the front living room...next to last nights washing....

you had no problem supplying me (i worked from home for three years initially from my kitchen )
but a lot has happened since i used your products ...
set111.gif

1)i have found products that actually do work.
2)i have grown in confidence (it's not difficult when you are not being told by your supplier that it is not the product at fault but you !!)
3)i have converted to a few different brands ,that all meet my demands .
4)one company ...yes creative ...not only met my demands but far exceed them.
5)i have opened my own salon which is going from strength to strength but will always look back as my time as a tech from home and mobile with happy thoughts ..ahem ..apart from my nightmare with your products ...i had more complaints....but that is another story

and now i am looking forward to creatives new gel ...as i am sure you are aware of :rolleyes: that is being launched at olympia

regards
debbie

this conversation went from one thing, to another. i'm actually enjoying the back and forth, because it's comical. if you like what you like, then whatever. who cares? instead of worrying about what another tech is doing, how professional they are or are not, how about making sure your business is professional, and that you're on top of your game. there are many well known, that operate successful home-based businesses. they don't label their business as a hobby. furthermore, they don't worry about whether or not someone views their business as unprofessional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back