I love Salon Geek BUT...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hausofhana

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I thought this was a site for us to give each other tips and advice, but it seems there are many girls on here that are hell bent on patronising and belittling other members (maybe younger or less experienced) or some people seem to just be generally bitchy.

It's really sad that a brilliant premise for a social network has to be spoiled by people who don't realise that we were all born equal and no one is better than anyone else.

Sorry to moan but just wanted to express myself and see if anyone feels the same as me !

Peace out <3 xxx

I agree, it's not nice how "certain" geeks shoot people down for expressing there ideas. It puts me off sharing ideas as I don't want to get belittled

I couldn't agree more! I have been the victim on quite a few occasions. Freedom of speech is a fairy tale here, not a reality. Good for you for speaking out xx

If some one makes you feel like that why dont you report them ? that way the mods can sort it out if it is a problem.
theres a red button next to the green one at the top right hand of there post , theres a way to do it on phones but i cant rember lol x

Omg thanks for this post totally agree with everything u said,i love to read posts and try to give tips/or ask for tips ha thats what this site is all out ain't it ? Here to help not patronise !! X

It is against the rules to be rude or argumentative on this site. To my knowledge you haven't reported any posts for this.

Us Mods work hard, giving up our spare time, to keep this site as pleasant as possible so please use the 'report' facility if you feel you are being victimised and we will discuss it and act accordingly. :D

I use my phone a lot and was not aware of this! I will definitely be doing this from now on, thanks x

Totally agree, thought it was a site for help and advice? Not to be felt stupid!! everyone has to learn!

Don't let them bother you! There are a lot of ppl up their own bottom.

Chin up hun

xxx

Indeed there will always be people up their bums, but there will also always be people who have lots of really valuable skills and experience to share with others.
Sometimes you have to get past the egos and learn from them.
Some of the members are incredibly successful, well respected in the industry, and sometimes just a little weary!

I've learnt so much from here, and sometimes I've felt very small. I've gone away to lick my wounds but still recognised that this is an amazing FREE resource.
Make no mistake, people can and do charge big bucks for giving business/product/treatment advice, yet here it's all freely given.

Manners cost nothing, treat others as you would want to be treated, not looking down on people, I agree it's a brill site and I am fully aware that others have many years of experience, but they must have started somewhere? Just think its nice to be nice.

xx

This site does help a lot of people, but it is a professional and educational site.
No one should be afraid to ask a question, as that is how we all learn, however we do need to be prepared for answers that may not be what we want to hear.

Constructive advice is not always the easiest or cheapest way to do something, which seems to me lately, is what a lot of people want to hear.

Some geeks maybe a bit blunt with their advice, but it is usually good advice, and they may well be short on time, as most are busy with clients and geek in between them.
However as has been said if you feel it is rude or argumentative then you can report it to the Moderator team who will review it.

A lot of geeks have years of valuable Industry experience and are giving of their time and knowledge for free on here. None of it will be about cutting corners but about getting the best training and making the best of whatever business you are in.
Some of it may not be delivered in a flowery way but I still wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth ;)

The site rules, which we all sign up to when we join are available at the bottom of the page, (click on rules) I think people should read them again before they post on this thread, so that it doesn't end up rude or argumentative!

this subject was bought up a few weeks ago and a few of the geeks said they were sorry if they sounded bitchy or rude but they write answers quite quickly and blunt because they are so busy in the salon and are quickly giving advice on a phone in a short break between clients.

but i do agree that some people are just blatently rude and belittling. If i read someones reply and it comes across as rude, i read it again with a smile, text can be read in a million different ways to how it was first meant to be read. sometimes when i re-read it though i think... hmm no you're just being mean. I think alot of people have a bad day and take it out on people on here because its so easy to do, we all have bad days :lol: also if i have a bad day i can get offended easily. I think we need to remember that behind our usernames is a person who is completly different to us, they might be sensitive, they might be naturally abrupt, they might have no sense of humour (i've met plenty of these on here) or they might just be having a really bad day and need a big hug. I think although i think of alot of geeks as friends and people i can talk to about anything we need to remember if you ask for a professional opinion you will get it wether its nice or not :hug:

I completely agree 100% sometimes it can come across as bullying a little and some people have so much product knowledge ( which is fantastic ) that they become very tunnel visioned and not open to other views or any thing that suggests out side of the box thinking, it's a shame really as I love this site it's like my beauty bible, how do you report when your on your phone? But I would like to add that for all the lovely and helpful comments I have had I am truly grateful and this far outways any stern/ harsh comments that have been made :0) x

I would love the option to like / agree with a post and also dislike / don't agree with a post.i think it would help with the bitching :)

I feel the same!! Not been on sg long & have read some really bitchy comments!! If people are short of time why bother replying?!! I also use sg on my phone & you can't access the full site. Xxx

I agree with Lynne here. It's not about someone trying to belittle anyone but some people on here have invaluable experience in the industry after years in it and their advice is truly invaluable and you can get it on here whoever you are and whatever stage your career you're in, for FREE!

We need to see past the so called bitchiness and understand that it might be frustrating answering the same question over and over and no one is listening. It might be an answer to a question we deem obvious as professionals. So in that case the reply can seem a bit "bitchy" as this is meant to be a professional forum and some questions should be obvious. Ive said it before, no questions are supposed to be bad, but in my opinion they are and sometimes show that the search button hasn't been used or even common research skills.

But as Lynne said, see past this and understand why they are really trying to say, or teach you. I am not saying this is true in all cases as some can be a bit too much. But honestly, this is a forum, full off personalities and egos and a wealth of knowledge. It can't all be butterflies and rainbows and we can't all agree all the time and that is why I love it. When you post a question, you might not always get the response you want but that doesn't make a comment bitchy. As a professional were not going to advice and agree with things we find wrong or that we have learnt are wrong and we will let you know this. Why not learn from other peoples mistakes? Imagine if we all did that how much further we would be. How boring would the forum be if everyone just agreed all the time?

I personally think some people confuse directness with bitchniess. It's words on a screen!!! Sometimes you have to just not read into it and take it for what it is, another persons opinion. But you have no idea in what voice she/he intended for it being said. Sometimes this does not translate online. Just take it with a pinch of salt and don't be insecure. You will learn much more from SG if you just see beyond the so called bitchiness.

Can't you be nice and professional? Would they be like this with their paying clients?

We are all on here to learn from the experienced ones, all the knowledge and skills they have gained over the years. Yes message can be taken the wrong way but if people doesn't have time then why comment? This would stop people assuming "bitchy" comments.

xxx

I have only posted on one of your threads before, but have read through most of them.
Perhaps you need to complain to your course providers who told you that it would be easy to have a profitable business if you just pay them xxx to train you?
People on here have been very gentle on you IMO. It's been made quite clear that none of us can tell you what is wrong without an arguement, which is why only the brave have been commenting on your threads.

What you fail to understand is that hairdressing is taught to beginners by experienced hairdressers who have done it all before.
By negating all the hair pro's on here, what you have left is just people willing to agree with you that "if you are cheap enough, and find russian hair for 5p a strand, it will all fall into place".
There is no such thing as a business in a box
There is no quick way to make money out of hair
There is no cheap, good hair
It takes years and years to build a business out of hair extensions, not months
It takes years to build credibility in hairdressing
People sue hair extensionists frequently
People on here have given you superb advice and lots of help. Sadly, I think your plan to make a few quid out of hair extensions while you train for your "proper" job is flawed.

I don't think this post is bitchy, I think it's truthful and kind.

I can't speak for anyone else but I can tell you that my clients don't pay me to be ditsy and nicey nicey. They pay me to be professional, expert and truthful. I'm not going to tell someone that their Class A, sun and smoke damaged skin will look 10 years younger after a facial; I'm going to tell them not to waste their money unless they're prepared to at least wear factor 30 every day and give up the Colombian marching powder.

This is an "industry" like any other. Just because we deal in the aesthetic doesn't make it any less businesslike.

And the reason that we nip in and out is because, for the most part, people have enough time to impart their pearls of wisdom, but not the time to dress it up with kisses and a sugar coating. And again, for the most part people are glad to receive it.

As the extensionist astutely puts it: don't be insecure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back