I love Tammy Taylors polymer, but hate their monomer? Am I alone in this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat68

Reaction score
I have been using Tammy Taylors polymer with EZFlow's monomer. I know that you shouldn't mix brands but it seems to work for me. Anyone else do this? And what are your results?

nope hun....i never mix products....i use nsi liquid and nsi powder...both nsi attration i may add!!!!!....why do you hate tammy taylor monomer???

It seems stickey and doesn't want to adhere to the nail. I am also leary of purchasing monomer throught the mail (As you have to with Tammy's products, you have no choice). If it is left in the delivery truck in hot or cold weather it can damage the monomer and ruin my clients nails!

I have been using Tammy Taylors polymer with EZFlow's monomer. I know that you shouldn't mix brands but it seems to work for me. Anyone else do this? And what are your results?

maybe instead of mixing brands , which is a big no no , you could try and find out why you are not liking the tt monomer?? maybe you just need to tweak your mix ratio?? xx

so how do you get ezflow momomer hun??????.....why not get the ezflow powder if you like liquid????....xx

It seems stickey and doesn't want to adhere to the nail. I am also leary of purchasing monomer throught the mail (As you have to with Tammy's products, you have no choice). If it is left in the delivery truck in hot or cold weather it can damage the monomer and ruin my clients nails!

I want you to know I mean NO disrespect, or want to stir pots, but this comment worries me.

Monomer does NOT ruin nails. Product does NOT ruin nails.

Over-filing and improper removal of nails ruins nails.

i hate tammy taylor anythig sorry if i offend but i belive it is a cheap and crap make, and i spose would be great for practice, but i belive some products can be mixed carfully and if you really know your stuff. but i think you should deffinatly invest in a fab product with great results. i use ibd and creative and love it.

i hate tammy taylor anythig sorry if i offend but i belive it is a cheap and crap make, and i spose would be great for practice, but i belive some products can be mixed carfully and if you really know your stuff. but i think you should deffinatly invest in a fab product with great results. i use ibd and creative and love it.

if you are working on the general public you need to consider whether your insurance would be void as you have not followed manufacturerts instructions , if anyone were to sue you xx

Oh dear, please lets not slag off products:eek:

Do you mix IBD and creative? I mean do you use Creative Polymer with IBD monomer etc? What don't you like about Tammy Taylor? I am not offended in the least, I just like to hear people's opinions, they are very important to me :)

Oh dear, please lets not slag off products:eek:

Adele is right...this isn't the place to be slagging off another brand....lets keep it constructive. Thank you x

It is much more useful to say I LIKE THIS and WHY I LIKE IT, then to say WHAT YOU HATE.

Lets not get into yet another *product* VS *product* war. They are exhausting.

Keep it constructive PLEASE...

Now back to the topic at hand- Please be aware that each product line is DESIGNED to go TOGETHER. IE: Creative Retention+ is DESIGNED to be used with their PERFECT POWDERS. And so on and so forth. You will not get the best results mixing products up in this manner, your best bet is to get to an educator for the product you wish to use, and learn their technique to use it.

i so agree about correct tecnique.
i have trained to use tt and the mix ratio is quite a bit wetter than most products i've used and set time pretty quick.

i've never had any problems with it and the quality and choice of product is very good in my opinion.

I have to giggle. I would love to see a suit of that nature stand up in Court.

Monomer and polymer form a system, irrespective of which company has their name on them. A lot of what is manufactured and doled out to companies actually hails from the same source.

*gasp* I know! So cloak and dagger, isn't it? :)

And as another poster has pointed out, it's not the product that ruins nails, it's the application and preparation.

So yes, it's not recommended to mix products and I appreciate that but let's be real here: the fact is that many, many people do and do so successfully. It's not a crime.

KitKat, when I found myself out of monomer one day, I mixed my polymer with stores of another monomer I had left over and with a slight bit of tweaking, got a good result. Sounds as though your ratio needs tweaking as another poster has mentioned to you. And I second the anti-slagging stance. I am not a fan of some products but I never fail to learn something from someone else who looks at them with different eyes.

A lot of what is manufactured and doled out to companies actually hails from the same source.

So yes, it's not recommended to mix products and I appreciate that but let's be real here: the fact is that many, many people do and do so successfully. It's not a crime.

At the end of the day these products are scientifically tested, they're chemically balanced to work together and we're not scientists so we shouldn't be messing about with pretending that we are and then using our 'experiments' on our clients.

Sam (The Geek) said the following about mixing brands on another thread... http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/59230-mixing-up.html
The Geek said:
It is VERY dangerous to intermix monomer and polymer systems. Especially when you are mixing odourless and non-odourless systems. It may SEEM fine on the outside, but you are putting your client at serious overexposure risks that may not manifest themselves for months after.

You could also be found legally negligent in doing so (which means a client could very easily sue you if they develop a reaction).
The Geek said:
What I am saying is that all powders contain various ingredients and levels of ingredients. One very important ingredient with most powders is BPO (yup! Benzoyl Peroxide). BPO is one ingresient that is responsible for controlling the curing of your monomer. Too little means a slower cure time (in some instances a nail that never fully cures!). Too much and you will 'shock cure' the enhancement. This is why mix ratio is an important part of working with your L&P system. The wetter of a mix you use, the less BPO. The drier of a mix you use, the more BPO. This can radically affect the performance (and more importantly) the safety of the application.

When you start intermixing systems, you start intermixing amounts and levels of BPO (as well as other ingredients) so you really don't have a clue of the ratio you should be working at. Each monomer is specifically designed to work with a specific polymer - there are no exceptions. Most of the companies that say their polymer is 'universal' are the same companies that do not have an R&D facility and to me seem more interested in making a quick sale then investigating the reality of the situation. A good example is Moxie liquid - you shouldn't use original SolarNail powders with it, only use Ultra or Perfect Color powders. If powders were universal, why the silly restriction? Because CND have an R&D lab that designs their products and they realise that you can not make a powder that works with all liquids!

I have said it 1,000 times before: If you want the most optimum performance and you want to provide the safest service possible, NEVER intermix systems.

If you like Brand A liquid, use their powder. If you like Brand B powder, use their liquid!!!

The EXACT same thing goes for UV lights (think of the UV light as being the 'BPO' part of your gel application. Too little UV exposure is like working too wet, too much UV exposure is like working too dry).

In my eyes, safety and security for my clients are NEVER negotiable.

Have you actually tried the EzFlow Monomer with the EzFlow polymer?
I am quite sure you would get better results and without any tweaking.

As people have already said polymers are produced by companies to work best with their monomer, so it makes sense to use the best polymer for that monomer.
Also you would have more come back with the product Company if you did have service breakdown.
Sometimes there can be faulty batches with products, and the companies are only too happy to sort that out for you, but if you have been using it with another product line, how can they tell what the problem is, therefore you would be left high & dry.

Monomer and polymer form a system, irrespective of which company has their name on them. A lot of what is manufactured and doled out to companies actually hails from the same source.

*gasp* I know! So cloak and dagger, isn't it? :)

There are generic products that are mass-manufactured and re-labelled by individual companies but the top companies do all their own research, development and manufacturing. CND do all this and their products are patented.....

Trouble is you don't know which generic products come from the same source so how do you know which ones are ok to mix?? Answer: you don't.

Leave chemistry to the chemists, recommendations aren't there just to be inconvenient or to cost you more money they are there to protect you and your clients. If you over-expose yourself you may not be able to carry on as a Nail Tech - not worth the short cut IMO.

It's quite amazing that some people believe they are suddenly experts! Yes, of course a monomer liquid and polymer powder form a 'system'! But......how many other ingredients and percentages of those ingredients are designed to work together to create a carefully formulated 'system'?

Shock horror! We are being 'had over' by product companies! I don't think so, on the whole.

"Stand up in court"??? Who is expert enough to guarantee the performance of mixed systems? Insurance companies will not pay out unless they have to. Every acceptable recommendation that will be scrutinized by said insurance companies states very clearly that manufacturers instructions must be followed. Will the client know what is used? Probably not. That is unless they are determined to win! Then, whoops, all is revealed on an open forum!

Why do people love to 'get one over' and not just follow follow professional guidelines. Are these people just doing what they believe product companies are doing to them?

Stroppy start to any post of mine in '08? Yes, probably. This is a subject that has been around forever and is, frankly, boring! Just be a 'professional'!

:!:
It's quite amazing that some people believe they are suddenly experts! Yes, of course a monomer liquid and polymer powder form a 'system'! But......how many other ingredients and percentages of those ingredients are designed to work together to create a carefully formulated 'system'?

Shock horror! We are being 'had over' by product companies! I don't think so, on the whole.

"Stand up in court"??? Who is expert enough to guarantee the performance of mixed systems? Insurance companies will not pay out unless they have to. Every acceptable recommendation that will be scrutinized by said insurance companies states very clearly that manufacturers instructions must be followed. Will the client know what is used? Probably not. That is unless they are determined to win! Then, whoops, all is revealed on an open forum!

Why do people love to 'get one over' and not just follow follow professional guidelines. Are these people just doing what they believe product companies are doing to them?

Stroppy start to any post of mine in '08? Yes, probably. This is a subject that has been around forever and is, frankly, boring! Just be a 'professional'!

way-to-go Marian!!:!:

Latest posts

Back