I`m getting married!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterfly100

Reaction score
Feel a bit funny telling everyone this as I normally don`t say much about home life etc as I don`t really think peeps will find it very interesting.....but I did have a question and as we are all mostly girls I thought I may find someone on here that could answer it!! :)

Some weeks ago I posted about the fact that my boyfriend was taking me to a spa and was there any way of prolonging my spray tan as we were going to be in the water most of the day!.... Silly I know but I am totally hooked on being brown and my tanner had just flown to the states for her hols so I just wanted to make it last!!

I had a brilliant day and then during dinner at the same place he produced a lovely necklace (ring to follow) and popped the question at the table.......I was shaking like a leaf as we have been waiting almost 3 years to get married and really are true soulmates, so it was the perfect surprise and I felt really special! ( we have both been through the mill over recent years which I won`t bore you with the details).
Anyway enough of the mushy stuff I AM GETTING MARRIED!!!! :eek: yippeeee!

The date is 21st Sept (this year) and I have got to get my skates on, its only going to be a v small wedding party as I have big issues with my mum and dad not being able to be in the same room!! I have spent the last 2 weeks crying, debating and sweating over how to try and accomadate everyone and still have the day I want (which is a fun family wedding, bridesmaids and a big dress with both sets of parents attending).
I could make them both come but then I know there will be bad feeling in the room behind me and if I have one at the ceremony and the other at the reception its still unfair and not what I want at all!!:irked: We have discussed many options but whatever I do I have to upset someone .......so in the end we have decided to invite our 2 best friends and my Mum and Step-Dad (I can`t imagine getting wed without her there and she is moving to Spain the week after too) my children will be there too as they are bridesmaids!
Any way thats the short story and its booked and I only have weeks to arrange it....but now that I know what we are doing I am excited and looking forward to my big day!!!

The question I have is maybe a bit risky but I think its a risk worth taking........I had decided to hire a Wedding Dress as Im not too fussed about keeping it forever or any thing and also it would be cheaper than buying ............and I could perhaps get something much nicer than I could afford to buy!! :lol:

THEN on e-bay I came accross a massive selection that you can have made in China and shipped over for around £100-£150! I have looked into it and there are some amazing dresses that would need a small mortgage if I bouhgt here!!! I would need a seemstress here to do any small alterations when I get it and It would take about 3 weeks to be made and shipped.
All the feed back from buyers is positive and I am almost willing to give it a go as everytime I look on there I find I am talking myself into it!!!

What do you rekon and has anyone done it this way??
I would still have time to hire (hopefully) if it all went horribly wrong! :eek:

Thanks for reading, sorry if its long winded!! xx

Firstly Big Congratulations on your news....you must be so excited.

I can't help with the wedding dress question re buying on e-bay I'm afraid other than to say that my son got married last Saturday and my daughter-in-law ( that's the first time I have ever called her that!!) lol, anyway she hired her dress and it was beautiful, looked a million dollars but didn't cost the earth so I would definately consider going down that route.

My reason for replying is the situation you are in with your parents, now obviously I don't know the full story but I was in a similar situation with my sons wedding, my husband (now ex) was going to be there with the "other woman" (usual story, she's 15 years younger, no kids so no stretch marks, excellent job so cash rich blah blah blah!!) and it got to the point where I didn't even want to go, but he is my son and we had been waiting so long for this wedding ( thay have been together over 10 years!) that I couldn't bear to miss it either, .....anyway my point is have you spoken to them both, maybe if you explained that you want them both there and that even though you know how hard it is going to be for them could they just for one day put their thoughts feelings etc to one side for you.
It is hard I know, but we did it for my son and daughter-in-law it was their day, not mine or his and even though I was so scared it turned out to be a fantastic day and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
My son and his wife did a wonderful job of not putting us in any awkward situations together but we weren't "obviously" kept apart either...if that makes sense!! :)
I really hope that you can resolve this as this is such a big day for you and would obviously mean a lot to you for both of them to share it with you.

Anyway what ever happens, I hope you enjoy your day and have wonderful memories of what I am sure will be a truly special time for you both.:hug:

Can't help with any advice but I just wanted to say

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Weddings are soooo exciting I hope you can enjoy the planning as well as the big day.

Sometimes people leave positive rep because they are worried about getting neg rep in return for neg rep - iykwim.

I would contact a load of the ebayers that have previously left positive rep for the seller and ask them if they are willing to give you some unbiased advice about the service.

If that comes back positive too, then I would go for it!

Congrats Naomi!
I hope you all have a lovely day....... and that the school holidays don't add too much to the stress!

I'm in a huff cos I'm not a bridesmaid:green::green::green:

CONGRATULATIONS !!!
:green::green::green:
XX

Sometimes people leave positive rep because they are worried about getting neg rep in return for neg rep - iykwim.

I would contact a load of the ebayers that have previously left positive rep for the seller and ask them if they are willing to give you some unbiased advice about the service.

If that comes back positive too, then I would go for it!

Really good advice!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! It's all very exciting!

It may be worth while having a look in wedding shops. I didn't think I could afford to buy a dress, so I asked my friend to make one for me. She was more than happy to do it, but told me that I had to go and try some on to make sure I knew what sort of style I wanted, and what suited me. Anyway, I did and ended up buying the second one I tried on . Guess how much? £295. So they needn't cost the earth!

Good luck with all your plans. :hug:

CONGRATULATIONS
Well lucky you getting married just a quick message to say please be careful when you are buying wedding dresses from Ebay that are shipped from abroad especially the wedding dress ones, if you look at quite a few (which is what I did as Iam also getting married chick in August) you may notice that some of the feedback is from the same people (on different ebayer feedback) this is because they are usually different people from the same shop and some and I stress some of the positive feedback are from friends they know or from fellow colleagues, if you look at what they bought it may be listed private or sold for a penny so it doesn't cost that much to their friend to leave feedback, I know that some dresses are fine from there but you have to be so careful especially as it is costly to ship back
Anyway just to let you know that Debenhams have got a fantastic sale on at the moment and I got my wedding dress from there a Jasper Conran for £170 and most were around this price and they also have a seamstress in Debenhams if you need one so get yourself along there chick and they maybe be on sale on line as well

Anyway have a lovely day and let us know what you get:hug:
Gemin7

Try looking in Wedding shops when they have a sale on! I got mine in one, altered to fit, the train taken off, shoes, tiara, and bag for £300. The dress itself was only £110!!! So if you knew somebody that could take it in for you! Worth a shot I'd say!

p.s Congratulations!! xxx:hug:

Popped back on-line and didn`t expect such a good response......thankyou very much to all that have given me advice (and the pm`s) there are some really great suggestions there and I will look into all of them!! :)

There is a sale on in a nearby village so I will have a nosey although its all by app only and looks a bit exclusive!

I will keep you posted and let you know what I get !

Thanks again, your replies have really helped :hug:

If there are any mobile hair and make-up geeks around my area then I may have a job for you as I need to be ready to go by 10.30am on the 21st sept!! :eek:

CONGRATULATIONS! And i'm sure your day will be fantastic hun. Best wishes.

I'm in a huff cos I'm not a bridesmaid:green::green::green:

Don`t be in a huff hun, you know I would if I could but its all or nothing, how about you throw me a cyber hen party instead......but no strippers!
I am sure we can open a bottle and celebrate nearer the time and I know that would win over wearing a pink meringue with sparkles and lace!!!!!! :lol:

Don`t be in a huff hun, you know I would if I could but its all or nothing, how about you throw me a cyber hen party instead......but no strippers!
I am sure we can open a bottle and celebrate nearer the time and I know that would win over wearing a pink meringue with sparkles and lace!!!!!! :lol:

It never crossed my mind that we wouldn't be opening a bottle or three, however, you know I'd look great in pink meringue and sparkles:eek::eek::eek:

Latest posts

Back