I made her into an orange by using 10%.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissConfused

Reaction score
heylo

i just know some of you will be sat reading this chuckling away, so i hope you enjoy the laugh at my expense. meanies!! :p

yesterday i went to do another set of lashes on a client i had seen before so that i can get my case study done. finally. i asked her about her last treatments from me (spray tanning and lashes - bare in mind they were just for practise and i'm not some kind of professional obviously!) and was asking her about her lashes and she said they lasted for around 2 weeks (there was literally like 30lashes in each eye as that's all i could do in 2.5hours. ugh. cringe. so i'd guess at that being about right then that they'd last that long yeah? but yesterday i managed to get in approx 110 over 2 eyes in 3hours :D) then i mentioned how was the tan, thinking to myself how great it would have been for a practise as i'd followed all the steps in the manual, read up lots on here and given my friends tans which they hadn't had a problem with (or had they and not told me??:|) and she went quiet! yes she actually went quiet and then said oh the tan... umm then i had to say 'oh my god! was it bad?' because she was that quiet!! and she was like 'i was orange'! her words were she was orange! what makes it worse is that it was an holiday tan, the first holiday her and her boyfriend had ever been on and they'd been together for like 11 years! so it really was a special holiday. she said it was even that bad that she didn't want to go out to buy her last bits and bobs for her holiday the day after the tan. not even after she had scrubbed herself trying to get rid of the tan. she said kids were staring at her in the street! :'(

i asked her did she have any holiday photos of the tan and she was showingme and from a distance i said ''oh i think that's a great colour' because i thought she looked a good colour and she just wasn't used to being tanned etc and she was like oh you might aswell have a look at the rest of my holiday pics and when i got closer to the computer i realised she did look orange AND she had orange eyebrows!! she never mentioned the eyebrows :|

i did a search on here about orange eyebrows and only managed to find one post that was relevant in 8 pages of posts, which i find amazing surely other people have given clients orange eyebrows? :\

i only put 10% on her though, which from what i read in my tanning manual was pretty much the same as the 8% anyway(?) but i thought while she isn't pale and is going on holiday a little darker would be better. she wasn't pale etc she had dark hair, dark eyebrows and was a good colouring - not olive or dark but certainly not fair kwim? did i do wrong? have i misread something? i've always read it as 8% for pale skin the whole blonde/red hair coloured type of skin, 10% for those who don't have the characteristics as the 8% and aren't olive/tanned already, 12% for those that are an olive or very tanned colouring and 16% is for shows (and girls who live in my area!). is that correct?

when i tanned her she was all covered and she then put on a fluffy dressing gown after i had dried her with the spray gun and i told her not to wash it off for atleast 8hours and the rest of the aftercare aswell as giving her a leaflet when i did the consultation. she didn't get in touch with me about how bad it was which i think was because she felt bad because she knew i was just wanting practise. i read on like the 1 post i found on my search that orange eyebrows was because of the therapist putting on too much but i'm not even sure how i could of put too much on her face. i just spray down the middle, head to side and spray, head to other side and spray. that is right isn't it? :s

from what i read people go orange from too high % (i didn't think 10% was high though? :\) and because the therapist puts too much solution on (she wasn't dripping wet at all and i always always make sure my gun isn't making people soaked.always.plus from what i've read you can only make people as dark as their skin will take so it wouldn't matter if you spray somebody 3 times they will only ever be the same colour, just the guide colour will be darker?)

from what i have said have i been really stupid and like i said misread something? or forgot something really important that i should remember for next time? i'm so confused because i've used a 10% on my friend who again didn't fit in the 8% group and didn't fit in the 12% group and she said she wanted it darker, no mention of being orange. yet i managed to turn somebody in the same group orange. i also sprayed my friend a couple of weeks ago who is also trained in spray tanning also and i put her 8% on and when i asked for feedback she didn't tell me she had orange eyebrows etc etc. and i tanned her the same way, actually i went over her face twice just because i thought i had missed a bit.

anybody any advice at all to add to what i have already mentioned? i'm just so confused as to what i did wrong.

x

edited to add: on her conultation form she didn't mention being on any medication

Last edited:
Oh dear, poor you, and her! LOL I hope someone more experienced answers but the way I understand it is that it really comes down to the 10% and should have been 8%. The 10% won't make her go darker, it will make someone go more orange if that is not the right % for them. If a person wants to be darker then spray one day and re-spray the next day. I was also taught that even if a client has dark skin, if this is their first tan with you then stick with the 8% to see how their skin reacts. When I did my training it was with a small group that included all sorts of skin tones including a dark skinned woman and we all had 8% sprayed on us and the guide colour looked good on all of us.

When I was starting out, I overdid one of my practise clients and the result was awful and I still feel terrible about it. At least your client was very sweet about it and still under your care!

Caroline x

Who did you train with? Some trainers and companies will happily help even after your training!
What make of solution & also what type of gun? These will all help in finding the solution!
:hug:

Oh dear, poor you, and her! LOL I hope someone more experienced answers but the way I understand it is that it really comes down to the 10% and should have been 8%. The 10% won't make her go darker, it will make someone go more orange if that is not the right % for them. If a person wants to be darker then spray one day and re-spray the next day. I was also taught that even if a client has dark skin, if this is their first tan with you then stick with the 8% to see how their skin reacts. When I did my training it was with a small group that included all sorts of skin tones including a dark skinned woman and we all had 8% sprayed on us and the guide colour looked good on all of us.

When I was starting out, I overdid one of my practise clients and the result was awful and I still feel terrible about it. At least your client was very sweet about it and still under your care!

Caroline x

thank you for your reply! so so so nice (is that even the right word to use?!) to hear others have made walking oranges too!

i didn't know that a higher dha didn't make a darker tan! :o oops. i took it on my training and reading up to mean that a higher dha would give a darker tan, but your skin could only take so much before it started to look an odd colour. i assumed with her being more in the 10% group than the 8%, her going on holiday (though now i know different % doesn't mean a darker tan!) and what she said she wanted at her consultation that it was def. the right choice to go with the 10%.

i don't understand why a friend i tanned with 10% said it wasn't dark enough and really hinted at wanting something darker i then tanned with 12% (as of course i thought higher % meant darker tan) said it was only a bit darker and didn't mention going orange, when 12% wasn't her group at all. but somebody who was in the 10% went orange :\

i think i am more upset about it than she was, she didn't mind at all clearly as she got in touch with me again about another treatment. i have offered a free tan to her so that she can get what she wants (as it's clearly my fault) and so she can give me feedback on the 8% as she knows i'm still practising.

i'm really gutted you know because i did my training ages ago for tanning and haven't even started offering anything more than practise tans because i wanted to make sure i read as much as i could and had really worked it all out, when infact the stuff i was taught and read i have completely not got. ugh.

x

Hi,

Oh dear poor you, someone going orange is too much DHA on a light skin, we train people to do a full consultation and also to ask clients how they tan in normal daylight etc to get an idea of how they do tan naturally.

Can I ask what solution your using, maybe get in touch with the company that you trained with. When I train someone they 100% back up from myself after the training and if they was struggling with something I would go and see them or speak over the phone and help them as much as possible.

Im sure if you contact your supplier they will help you!

Good Luck

Leela
Puri-Tan

Who did you train with? Some trainers and companies will happily help even after your training!
What make of solution & also what type of gun? These will all help in finding the solution!
:hug:

i didn't even mention who i trained with, i didn't think! sorry. i trained with sienna absolute months ago - i'm talking like 4-5months ago. in that time i've done practise tans and been reading up as much as i possibly can about tanning so that i know what i'm doing properly kwim? i don't think by doing one day courses that i'll know everything so i like to read up as much as i can after i have done them. which prob explains why several months after doing my lash training i still haven't submitted all my case studies and why after waxing i've not even had a practise on my bf yet lol but i just want to be able to know as much as i can before i offer the treatments.

i use sienna solution and as far as spray gun i'm not sure at all what i am using, i chose what was recomended which fit with what i wanted from the sienna website as i got the business kit. gosh that sounds terrible doesn't it? especially after me spending several hundred pounds and i don't have the gun with me right now to check. x

Different soloutions will have different effects even if they are classed as the same DHA, I have had sienna think it was the 10% aswell ompa loompa city! lol but fake bake darker (which I think is a 12% they dont tell you the DHA%) much better still a slight tinge of orange thou!
Xen Tan (again no DHA% given but this is more of an intelligent tan) I would say is probably about a 10 or 11 % (on me) not a hint of orange in sight! lol
My advice would be to get sample from other companies to try hth xx

I agree some solutions are more orange then others.

The way i assess skin types is slightly different, based on how they naturally react to the sun rather then the colour of their skin and hair.

If they go from white straight to red and dont tan, that is skin type 1.
If they go from white to red then brown, type 2.
If they go white to brown then 3
If they go white to brown very easily 4.

Then using their skin tone/ hair colour along with this info i decide.
My sister for example has brown hair/ brown eyes but fair skin and burns easily, i'd say she's about a 2, so we started off with the lowest percentage when first tanning.
Everybody is different and I always err on the side of caution if i'm unsure.

just to add...
A stronger %DHA will make someone go darker, if their skin can take it. THis lady obviously cant but some people's skin can take a lot of DHA before going orange and so will go darker the stronger it gets (until they get to their thresh hold, in which case they will go orange too.) :hug:

Hi,

Oh dear poor you, someone going orange is too much DHA on a light skin, we train people to do a full consultation and also to ask clients how they tan in normal daylight etc to get an idea of how they do tan naturally.

Can I ask what solution your using, maybe get in touch with the company that you trained with. When I train someone they 100% back up from myself after the training and if they was struggling with something I would go and see them or speak over the phone and help them as much as possible.

Im sure if you contact your supplier they will help you!

Good Luck

Leela
Puri-Tan

i trained with sienna, so def a reputable, well known company. i will be getting in touch with them on monday i just wanted to see if anybody on here had any of their own experience to pass on too.

i did a full consultation. at consultation i asked client to fill in the consultation card and asked what the tan was for as she marked it as special occasion (i also explained about the chlorine in the water and going into the sea and sweating etc etc.) and then i asked how she tans in the sun and she didn't mention burning/going red straight away. on client record card when asked experience of other tans she put 'fine but patchy' and said she had had spray tans done before. so nothing jumped out that she would have a problem with tanning. she wasn't light haired or red haired, she didn't have freckles, her skin didn't look pale at the consultation and she said she had no make up so colouring was all her own. she was even sat next to a window for the consultation so there was natural light to see her in lol. i think i covered everything i could to make sure i did the right thing as the last thing anybody wants is to of course mess up. haha i can't believe i messed up trying so hard not to mess up! only me haha x

Different soloutions will have different effects even if they are classed as the same DHA, I have had sienna think it was the 10% aswell ompa loompa city! lol but fake bake darker (which I think is a 12% they dont tell you the DHA%) much better still a slight tinge of orange thou!
Xen Tan (again no DHA% given but this is more of an intelligent tan) I would say is probably about a 10 or 11 % (on me) not a hint of orange in sight! lol
My advice would be to get sample from other companies to try hth xx
i think i will have a look around at other brands now that i know a little bit more. i was originally going to train with xen tan funnily enough but fell in love with sienna. i like everything about them and feel like such a traitor!
i think i might just water down some johnsons holiday sun tbh and put it in my spray gun so that i can't make anybody orange ever again! lol. it sure is a horrible feeling!! so so so glad her bf wasn't taking her away for a surprise wedding or something omg! could you imagine?? LMAO! x

I agree some solutions are more orange then others.

The way i assess skin types is slightly different, based on how they naturally react to the sun rather then the colour of their skin and hair.

If they go from white straight to red and dont tan, that is skin type 1.
If they go from white to red then brown, type 2.
If they go white to brown then 3
If they go white to brown very easily 4.

Then using their skin tone/ hair colour along with this info i decide.
My sister for example has brown hair/ brown eyes but fair skin and burns easily, i'd say she's about a 2, so we started off with the lowest percentage when first tanning.
Everybody is different and I always err on the side of caution if i'm unsure.

thank you for that!! i will be sure to use how they tan in the sun as more of a guide than what i can actually see! :D x
just to add...
A stronger %DHA will make someone go darker, if their skin can take it. THis lady obviously cant but some people's skin can take a lot of DHA before going orange and so will go darker the stronger it gets (until they get to their thresh hold, in which case they will go orange too.)
i guess that's where i have got confused then! i thought the higher % the darker the colour would be of what you could take, not that you could only take so much dha reguardless of the %. does that make sense? :\ so even if you think somebody fits into a certain group you could still get it wrong as it depends on their own skin too? so always start with 8% and if they aren't happy (like my friend wasn't with the 10%) then up it and see how they get on? so 8% is pretty much foolproof? x
thank you to everyone for all the help and advice!! x

I'm traialing some new tans,dont get me wrong I love Xen Tan in every aspect apart from I have some pale ladies who want to be darker my self included :) I feel like a traitor too lol but at the end of the day its our lively hood so we should do what is best for us :hug:
Yip DHA is a minefield if you ask me, I'm naturally white as you can get before the see thru white lol, lightest brown hair (naturally :) die it dakrer) lots of moles and freckles in the sun, tan well but takes ages and go a bit pink 1st so technically I should be about a 2??? but my skin can take quite alot of DHA if brown/olive undertones in tan but if its orangey or reddy cant! lol xx

thank you for your reply! so so so nice (is that even the right word to use?!) to hear others have made walking oranges too!

You are more than welcome. I too trained with Sienna and after my bad experience I called up my Sienna rep and she arranged quite quickly to come and visit me and to go over the procedure. I had to arrange to have one of my clients/subjects also here and she did the spray tan whilst I watched and we talked through the procedure. It was a one to one session and it was brilliant and so reassuring. Sienna want us to be happy and after all the investment in kit I think our first thing to do is to go back to them to give them the chance to help us to be the best.

Like you, I too was under the impression from my training that there was nothing we could do wrong but that strictly speaking is not entirely true. And then there are clients who do react strangely for all sorts of reasons out of our control and we can not possibly know. You sound a bit like me and worry so much about doing a good job which on the one hand is no bad thing but on the other can be a bit of a hindrance!

All my spray tans since have been reportedly good but I am still nervous inside though less as time goes by. Which brings me to saying something .... like me you read a lot and try to get as much information but there is nothing to beat getting out there and "doing". So like riding a bicycle, when you crash the best thing to do is to get back on as quick as possible. Call up your Sienna rep and get some follow up. I would also be concerned that at your training the % thing wasn't understood by you which could be either you didn't hear it or it wasn't covered properly.

Good luck - after this you will be great and will get better and better. You just will!

Caroline x

Heather,

Don't stress out, you did a good job with my tan. I know it wasn't the 10% but it still came out a lovely colour, I doubt it was your application but probably your clients reaction.

I'm a bit worried now about people saying Sienna X tan is "orangey" as I've just stocked up with it! I did my mum last Sunday before she went on her cruise with the 10%, the guide colour was very dark and unfortunately I didn't get to see her after she showered the next day but she did say that the colour was good, she tans very well.

DHA IS a minefield, I'm blonde, VERY pale, have a few moles and freckles but I tan easily and go a very golden brown.

If you want you can trial me with the 10% this week if you fancy, as you know i'll give you a decent feedback.

Will text you later to sort summat out. :D x

DHA is a minefield. I had a 12% last week and I am very olive skinned and it was dark :eek: did a 10% this week thinking it will be too light and it is just right for me.

Also I find everyone reacts differently to fake tan and as long as you give good customer care and try your best to deal with any problems they will come back to you especially if you can offer another formula or percentage.

I trained using Fake Bake and I hate the fact that with that you just spray it on and hope for the best as you cant really give the client an exact answer as to how it will turn out.

I think in your case get some different %levels of different products and find which one works for you as an all rounder.

At least what happened was a practice and it is all this that is the best experience, I know its hard because in the mean time someone has been walking about like an oompa loompa for a week but you can learn from this and see if she is willing to have an 8% and see how you go. If she turns orange again, then that particular solution obviously doesn work for her and that is not your technique it is the product so try not to get too down

xx

It really does sound like you have perhaps over sprayed slightly as 10% tans are not normally that strong, it is stronger than 8% and I wouldn't use it on a red head or extremely fair person, but someone who is dark haired should be ok with it. You did say it turned her eyebrows orange which is really unusual.
I wouldn't worry too much though as it sounds like it was a one off if the other ladies loved their tans.
If you used the exact same technique and gun setting then perhaps it is her skin, but just be careful not to overspray.
Was it at her home you sprayed her, or in your normal environment? Sometimes poor lighting can cause you to overspray as you can't see it properly.
I can't really speak for Sienna, as I don't use it but all tans are different as has been mentioned above.

Hope that helps a little and good luck xxx

Latest posts

Back