I met an American WASP nail tech who works in discount shop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ollieninh

Reaction score
Hi there, ken here, in Charlotte, NC, USofA. We have a turnip truck load of nail techs over here that complain that they can't make a living doing nails --- so I thought my encounter with a money making nail tech this weekend might be of interest.
Was chatting around in my buddies nail supply store Saturday when a American nail tech walked in to buy some supplies. ONE, I took notice because this is a Vietnamese nail supply store and other than myself (American) it is somewhat unusual to have American techs in the store. TWO, I took notice cause this young lady is RATHER HOT --- mean lookin good and dressed to attract the butterflies, but that is another line of talk hey.
So we spoke and I found that this is a happy nail tech, this is a nail tech making money and this is a nail tech that is smilin with her life and her career.
WHY is that, ( her being HAPPY ) when so many nail techs are gloom and doom.
She works in a discount nail shop with 6 Vietnamese nail techs. She did not before and she had to live at home with Mom and had no clients and had no money. She told me she finally when to a Vietnamese shop owner and said hey give me a chance, hire me on for a couple of weeks and train me and if I cant hack it with your crew, fire me, but give me a chance.
And he did. And now (after 6 months) she is busy, working 6 days weekly, lined up with customers, knows how to work product fast, has da MONEY. She moved out from home and rented an apartment. She just picked up her Brand New 2003 automobile.
She has found that elusive SUCCESS. She also said that now she is like enlightened and it is like many of her ideas, her former opinions and viewpoint of the discount nail business and of the people who are in the discount nail busiess --- was a bunch of baLOney.
She said now she is one of THEM --- and she laughed --- and said I Love It.

It is nice to see you here, Ken. I hope you are well.

I have read your posts on Beautytech for as long as I can remember.

one of the questions my associates and i always ponder is, do all of the workers in these NSS actually ALL have licenses? and what about the use of MMA? i'm sure not all of these places defy regulations, but every now and then......so down the road, is it worth a new 2003 automobile to be put into this situation? ..just a thought.

Please pardon my naivete', but as a tech so fresh outta school I don't even have a darn job yet- how do you know when scoping these places out that it is a NNS? Inquiring minds want to know! I don't want to end up a poor disgruntled tech because I was too ignorant to know the difference. Please enlighten me so I may go out and conquer the Nail World! (or at least my little corner of it in FL, USA)

If we're here to help others, then what exactly are the "others" here for?

Basically by your writing ----------

one of the questions my associates and i always ponder is, do all of the workers in these NSS actually ALL have licenses? and what about the use of MMA? i'm sure not all of these places defy regulations, but every now and then......so down the road, is it worth a new 2003 automobile to be put into this situation? ..just a thought.

----- what you are in essence asking is it worth her doing something BAD ,,, worth her working in a BAD place
----- some assumption on your part
----- and I think somewhat insulting to her

Have you even done any research?
Are you totally UNAWARE for example, that the South Carolina State Board issues an equal percentage of citations and fines for violations of sanitation and illegal chemical use and lack of licenses to the traditional American owned low volumer/full price nail shops
as they do to the newer Vietnamese owned high volume/discount price nail shops?

You see there are a LOT of False Beliefs about the nail industry,,, and few nail techs willing to find the Truth.

http://www.ollieninh.com/nailbiz.html

I think you should re-read her post again as I didnt get that impression at all.

Are you totally UNAWARE for example, that the South Carolina State Board issues an equal percentage of citations and fines for violations of sanitation and illegal chemical use and lack of licenses to the traditional American owned low volumer/full price nail shops
as they do to the newer Vietnamese owned high volume/discount price nail shops?

Come one now... While this may be the case for figures in a specific time frame, there are far too many variants that could sway this one side or the other (i.e. they could have eaily inspected a higher percentage of standard salons to discount salons)

No one here is climbing up anyones bottom for working in a discount salon. If they do so... good for them.
The problem that professionals have is with four things:
  1. If they use MMA
  2. If they damage the nail plate
  3. If they work in an unsafe manner
  4. If they dont practice sanitation
    [/list:o]

This is a concern whether or not it is a discount salon, expensive salon, NSS, or a freaking tanning booth.

You see there are a LOT of False Beliefs about the nail industry,,, and few nail techs willing to find the Truth.
    :rolleyes:
    There are also a LOT of true facts about the industry that some techs are not willing to accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back