I need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissAbyss

Reaction score
So technically this is industry based. But it's more regarding my job itself rather then my industry.

My salon seems to be falling apart. I'm an apprentice. And there has been a lot of issues lately in my salon. A lot of them are coming from my boss. He is suffering from personal issues at home. And these issues are effecting the salon. Over the last few months (when his personal issues started) I have noticed a coalition between a loss of clients and his issues. We have almost halved our returning clientele. But that isn't the only issue. We have also lost half our team this week (myself, one other girl and my boss are all that is left unless you include a part timer who comes once a week and a girl who hasn't even started yet). My boss has also become super paranoid to the point of hiding the extension spray in his draw because people might be stealing it.

So back to the team division. My boss had a meeting with one of the stylists who is fully qualified and he told her her skills are only worth that of a first year and she can either start again or leave. This of course upset her and she chose to leave. She was pretty upset over this. Her skills are probably closer to a third years. She would accept that or maybe even second year but she felt insulted.

As for the other girl. My boss has been pushing everyone's buttons. This girl was head stylist and made the most revenue but my boss decided to put her to part time, micro manage her and basically telling her off when she ordered things like extensions when they were needed. She told my boss she was quitting the other day.

The other girl who is still there has started talking about leaving too. My boss is forcing her into management positions without paying her as manager claiming that she is training in management. He is also telling her off for saying things to me like "go do that task" as a manager should because she might shatter my confidence. This girl s super encouraging and has helped me gain confidence in the business. I have never had an issue with her.

My boss was good up until he started having these issues. I have definitely had thoughts about leaving but I feel really guilty about the idea of leaving. I would definitely leave if the other girl did. But I don't want to leave her behind. I also think my job itself is stable but my salon not so much. What would you do?

Latest posts

Back