I need help are these racoon extensions right?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abfabproducts

Reaction score
I have had a full set of racoon extensions put in 4 weeks ago, I use the racoon shampoo and use a bit of conditioner on the ends. I then put a bit of dumb blonde on the ends while I dry it. I have lost 9 extensions since having them done and the hair is really coming out when I brush it and wash it so it looks much thinner than it did. I don't know what to do as when I lost a few extensions I phoned the hairdressers where I got them put in and they said just keep them till your next appointment which is now 4 wks away. I am so disappointed and now wish I never got them put in. Feel really awkward as already went in after a week as felt when I put my hair back there was too much short hair falling down so they have already put some more extensions in. Any help/advice would be so appreciated as feel so upset about the situation and don't know if what's happenings is normal or Even if anyone could recommend someone that does racoon extensions in the Newcastle upon Tyne area.

hiya, it is slightly normal to lose a some extensions in the first couple of months but not that many, i had racoon extensions fitted a few years ago and know alot of others that have had them and the main problem is they shed somewhat terrible.. the hair just shed so i was left with just the bonds and no hair extensions in places..
i would go back to the salon and see what they can do you for.. hth x

Hi Abfab

Racoon do 3 types of hair, their standard type of hair is shocking it all matts up in a puff ball!! What type of hair did you have fitted?

I would def go back to the salon as your contract is with them, and if they are a decent salon they should sort this out for you at no cost to yourself.

Good luck. XX

It's not the brand (Racoon )that leads to shedding, it is how the extensions are installed, the hair prepped , and also the correct aftercare advise being given and followed that will all contribute to shedding and complete loss of bonds.
If your not happy contact the Salon again and see if they will bring forward your maint. appointment. They should really do this for free if they have any sense.
I never use standard hair apart from training and brainstorming, on clients i would only use Euro or Everyday.

Thanks for everyones feedback really appreciate it as quite stressed as feel I have wasted all that money. I'm not sure what kind of hair it is but it is nice hair doesn't frizz up. I took your advise and went back to the salon at this stage I had lost 12 extensions in exactly 4 wks today. She checked the bonds etc and went over homecare but everything I'm doing is right and she said bonds and hair are good condition. I left with a price for my next appointment which is a bit a steep as need to order in yet more hair. Tonight another 2 extensions have fallen out :cry: I don't know what to do?!? I love having long hair but now kind of wish I didn't bother wasting my money as feel stuck with this salon.

Hi, If the extension hair is looking very thin and straggly
it may be because the hot bonding material has not sealed the extension hair inside the bonds properly ,

if she is adding more extension hair because it's falling out and shedding due to an application problem .... then I don't think you should have to pay for more hair or the application (but it might be hard to prove )

Have a good look at what you have signed ... and re read the part about maintenance and what it says about ordering more hair ?

I usually tell clients to keep hold of the bonds , and to bring them along at their next maintenance appointment and I will pop them back in at no extra cost.

But it's your hard earned money and I think you should voice your objections.

Don't be worried if someone else over hears .... just state very firmly and very politely how unhappy you were and that you don't think you should be charged for the hair or the application ... because it was over shedding
ect etc ...
and see what they say , good luck let us know how you get on ?

I agree with Minky, you need to force the issue.
It does sound like you are losing hair due to shedding (and the salon has now confirmed you arent doing anything wrong as far as aftercare is concerned) so that leaves the fact that the bonds arent sealed properly and maybe getting water damaged as so you will lose complete bonds and shed hair from existing bonds.
The fact that you are having to buy more hair for your first maintainace appointment is also quite telling.
The salon should really be ensuring your happy and should do maintaince free or at a reduced rate at a minimum.
Maybe ask to speak to the boss .

There's no way you should have lost 12 extensions in 4 weeks. I get mine done by a Raccoon Salon, but provide my own hair. I have had my current ones in for exactly 12 weeks now, and have only lost 2 extensions and hardly any shedding. (This is unusual, previously I would have lost approx 6 in that time - I think it's because this time I have French Refined (curly), so haven't been brushing it, just using an afro comb).

When the hair sheds, (the bond stays in the hair but the extension hair brushes out) it is because the bonds have not covered every extension hair properly and not sealed properly. If the entire extension is coming out with the bond attached - ie just slipping out of your hair, it is usually because the hair had been conditioned before application. Can you remember if they put conditioner on your hair? It happened to me once ages ago, it was a new junior who didn't know not to condition, and the extensionist forgot to remind her.

The salon should not make you wait for your maintenance appointment - there is obviously something wrong with the application.

If any of my clients lost that many in such a short time I would check the entire application, remove any that had shed so much that there was hardly any hair left, and replace for free. You have not been provided with good service and you should absolutely go back asap and tell them you want it sorting out. Raccoon extensions are not cheap and you should be feeling like a million dollars when you get them done.

Good luck
Julie x

Thanks for all your replies. I have booked into the salon and getting all 14 extensions that have fallen out put back in for free but I have requested they was/detox my hair 1st and blow-dry it and they are charging me £20 for this. To be honest I think I'll get these put back in and look for another salon. It's just no other salon does racoon extensions in Newcastle would I need my hair extensions removed before going to another salon or could they sat just add Cinderella extensions in along my racoon extensions?
Minky I never signed any contract. So don't know how I would go about proving anything.

Minky I never signed any contract. So don't know how I would go about proving anything.

Hi, should have explained it better ....meaning ... If you signed the usual pre hair ordering extension agreement / after-care plan etc..

Have a good look through the plan / after care papers to see if it mentions anything about shedding /maintenence ordering more hair etc..

Sometimes agreements / aftercare plans are drawn up to protect the salon / technicians against clients who do sometimes mistreat their extensions.

Thus making it harder for a genuine client like yourself to show / prove that your shedding was in fact due to a technical fault rather than a fault of your own ....Iykwim .

On the other hand there may have been no such agreement drawn up at all....

As Luclastix pointed out ... they have said you treated them all correctly !... so you shouldn't be the one paying for more hair.

I personally happen to think it is a technical fault,and any good salon / hair extensionist will always recognise that problem and will always want to make you happy and put it right .... and as Persianista says (FOC) Hope that made more sense :)

Get the salon told ... stand your ground a very good salon should have a contract you should sign to sy u understand the in's and out's if this as not been done they should add the extensions u have saved in free only should pay if they have supplied more hair . however u should pay for the blow dry .
if i was u i would leave the salon shows they do not look after clients how spend big money .
i would name and shame the salon as i think this is very bad customer service i am not in newcastle and dont do racoon how ever to me it sounds like the stylist needs to be re-trainned.

Latest posts

Back