I need more clients, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little*Miss

Reaction score
Morning all!

I trained in lash lifting in the summer have built up some regular clients (who are also my friends!) have not been able to attract any members of the public. I have a Facebook page but have spent no money on advertising or marketing yet. I have one like from a member of the public.
My friends haven't been the best at promoting or sharing my page at all they haven't wrote reviews either which is a bit disappointing.
I promise I am not bad at lifting either!!!

I'd love to get proper clients! I am thinking of running a leaflet drop which would be minimal cost.
I trained in Nouveau and have brought 20 lash and brow conditioning serums. I was going to promote an offer with these to add intrest and hopefully get more intrest in my fb page too.

It's difficult at the mo as I am completely new to all this, beauty is not my background and I have a full time job too. I feel like I need to offer more things but I've spent a lot of money out already and am not getting the returns to invest in too many courses although I'd love to do more training.

I just need people to know where I am and who I am! Does anyone have any tips for gaining clients? Also are your friends supportive? I just feel a little let down by some of them.

Thank you in advance!

Hiya!

How about a Facebook competition? Or a sponsored post? To get your likes up?x

Hiya!

How about a Facebook competition? Or a sponsored post? To get your likes up?x

Yea I was thinking of a like and share fb comp. I just worry no one will share it!

I've been thinking of fb ads too :)

How much are you charging your friends?
What’s their incentive to promote your work?
Could you tell them they will get one discounted treatment for every new client they bring to you?

Practising on friends/family is helpful to gain experience but it can have the opposite effect when building a business. They invariably take you for granted and expect to pay virtually nothing for your services forever (!) and also expect you to fit them in last minute/do it on your day off etc. Once you’ve gained some experience, ditch the favours. Make sure they either pay full price or actually do something useful in return.

If you’re serious about wanting to make this your business, you have to put serious effort into building a business, so lots of targeted marketing. Being really skilled at something is only a fraction of what’s required to be successful in business.

Sadly, nobody really cares who you are or what you do, so Facebook ‘likes’ won’t change that.
Think about it from a client point of view.
For instance, assuming you already go to a regular hairdresser. Would seeing an ad on Facebook make you think, “I’ll ditch my trusted hairdresser and try this new person I’ve never met before because they’ve got lots of ‘likes’ on their page?”

Your potential clients are already going somewhere else or haven’t even thought about trying the treatment yet. Only a very few people will be actively looking for a new therapist.

Again back to you, if you were not even thinking about changing your regular hairdresser, what would actually convince you to try someone else?
Ask your friends what would make them change hairdresser, or other service provider.

I think it’s a huge mistake to underestimate the time and costs you need to put into marketing your business on an ongoing basis, forever.

I don’t want to put you off, but you do need to re-think your approach if you want to eventually ditch the full-time job.

Thank you that's really helpful! :)

Even though friends and family are happy to help, if they receive no incentive, they are less likely to keep promoting your business. We run loyalty campaigns and use social media ads for our area, which are awesome and fairly easy to make - there are countless YouTube vids on them as well! With leaflets, there is a very small chance that you'll hit your target audience.

If Social media ads aren't for you - go to other businesses in your area and invite the staff for discounted treatments and ask to leave some of your leaflets there. Its more work though.

But I'd definitely recommend a loyalty program and social media ads!

Join local community facebook groups and start liking other posts and that gives you exposure, however if anyone sees your Face book page and wants to book you could add book now button. You could use my booking system which is free is you are solo and allows you to track bookings. Email me your number I can talk you through how to do this and will boost your bookings.

[edited to remove clicky link]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back