I need some business advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farls

Reaction score
Sorry, this could be a long one!

So I rent a room in a hair & beauty salon and back in Feb this year the owner of the salon decided she wanted to do a couple of opening evenings to promote the fact an aesthetics doctor had just moved into one of the other rooms and she had a fairly new hair stylist and myself. We originally talked about myself and the hair stylist putting something in the local paper so she (the stylist) got it priced up and it worked out to be around £60 each. Then the salon owner said to wait and we could do a bigger add and all chip in. She got carried away with herself and ended up doing a half page ad and then expected me to go thirds with her and the doctor! The paper managed to cocktail the ad up and my business was an after thought and I ended up with one line at the bottom. She expected me to pay £200 for the pleasure. I wasn't happy about this but unfortunately didn't say this at the time. Anyway, ive not heard anymore about it until today when I inform the salon owner that I'm moving on. We've never had a cross word and I've enjoyed working there, I just have a new opportunity elsewhere. So once I tell her she said oh good because I was going to put your rent up anyway which I thought was a bit of a strange thing to say. She then goes upstairs (she lives above the salon) and brings a letter down dated 26 September demanding I pay the £200 I owe her immediately or else she will take further action. I was really shocked. Anyway, I discussed it with my partner and he agreed it was ridiculous and I should reply to her letter and enclose a cheque with a good will gesture of £50. Then this evening I get a text from her saying the £200 is still outstanding and I have two options 1. Pay in full on Friday and I can stay until the end of the month. 2. Stay until the end of the month but leave my desk, chair, spray tanning machine and mirror.
This woman is being totally unreasonable but now that she's mentioned my stuff I'm really worried that she will have just gone in there tonight and taken it.

What would you do? I'd really appreciate any advice as I've never been in a situation like this before.
I plan on going there tomorrow to collect my things and the just ringing all my clients and asking them to come to my house.

Help!!!

Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long xx

Go in, get your stuff and leave. She can't take your stuff, it's theft. Don't hesitate to ring the police and bring them there to put her in her place. The debt is a civil matter, taking your stuff is a legal matter. As you didn't agree to anything regarding the advert and the cost I doubt she has a leg to stand on and the gesture of £50 is more than fair. If she wants to pay to take it through the courts, once they see a copy of the ad they'll agree. I wouldn't even pay that with her attitude.

Thanks for your reply. I went yesterday to get my stuff and she has stolen all my spray tanning equipment and the big mirror that I had on the wall. I've invoked the police and I'm hoping I should get it all back later. She is a crazy woman and she's going to end up with no business as she has no idea how to treat people.

What an absolute cow! I'd make it public what a total boot she has been, it is not on at all!! What does she want with your tanning kit anyway? Is she a therapist or a hairdresser? I feel so awful for you! Keep your chin up, she can't do it! The police will have to do something! Xx

What an absolute cow! I'd make it public what a total boot she has been, it is not on at all!! What does she want with your tanning kit anyway? Is she a therapist or a hairdresser? I feel so awful for you! Keep your chin up, she can't do it! The police will have to do something! Xx
Now it's a legal matter don't make it public. It will cause too much hassle.

Now it's a legal matter don't make it public. It will cause too much hassle.
Obviously not while the police have things in hand, but when asked I would straight up tell people! I don't mean plaster it all over Facebook...xx

Latest posts

Back