I really need a hug - sorry long!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobile-hands

Reaction score
Feeling low after a stressfully busy week – sorry it’s long! But this is still the shortened version!

So for the last two weeks I have been extremely busy, great I hear you say! But... I work alone and on average I am working Tuesday-Friday 9am to 9pm and Saturday 9am -6pm, sometime the odd few hours on a Monday and some nights are later than 9pm...and all because my clients are going on holiday and are desperate for an appointment!

At the beginning of this week I noticed I had a sore throat, as the week progressed I have slowly developed a cold, aches and generally feeling really cr*p, but I have carried on regardless not wanting to let clients down.

Last night I got home at 11:45pm (Pamper Party), had a mountain of towels to wash & dry before finally flaking into bed at 1pm only to be up again at 6:30am drying the remaining towels and getting ready to go into work.

I was feeling awful and to be honest if I didn’t work for myself I would have called in SICK!

I considering myself a perfectionist and hate letting people down, but today I have done just that! My first client – A good loyal client that recommends me to others. I waxed her legs first, I remember checking that I hadn’t missed any hair down either side of her legs and then did a deep tissue massage, she suffers with really bad pain in her shoulders and neck. I worked the muscles deep but really struggled to get rid of the tension/knots this time, she mentioned when leaving that it didn’t really feel any better, I thought maybe as we had gone deep that it could be that pain, but I didn’t really get to chat as my next clients was already waiting on the couch.

Around lunch time she texted to say that it really didn’t feel better. I didn’t read the message until I left work at 6pm but feeling awful about her disappointment I texted back to apologies and advise that the tension might be out of my scope and that she should perhaps contact a chiropractor, I offered a half price massage next week and if that didn’t help then she really needed to seek further help/advice.

The about an hour ago she text with a photo of the back of her calves showing that there was still hair (tbh there is!) I am so disappointment with myself... I have never done such a bad job; she even mentioned that she was disappointment! I asked when she could next get back into the salon but she said next week... I again apologised and this time said there would be no charge for any of her treatments next week.

I’m lucky that this lady felt she could contact me to let me know, I have seen about 10 clients today and now doubting the work I have done on them.

I can only image that I have exhausted myself, causing myself to become run down which has made me ill... but by not wanting to disappoint clients for cancelling their appointments (God knows when I would have been able to fit them back in!) I have disappointed a very good client by doing a poor job!

I am missing out on my family! (My partner, our 3years daughter and 14 year old son)

And to top it off I am just about to sign a lease agreement for my very own salon (currently renting a room inside a hair salon).

I’m now wondering if I can come back from this, I feel terrible disappointed with myself, very upset... and I’m wondering if I am cut out for this and my own salon!

Sorry for the long rant....

Hi hun I didn't want to read and run. Firstly sending you big hugs xx we all have our times of self doubt and that's absolutely normal. I'm sure your
Loyal clients will be understanding that were all human and make mistakes when we're low and have illness trying to muddle through. Try not to be so hard on yourself hun. After some good rest and recoup, hope you feel better about it all soon . Hugs xx
Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

First of all STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP!Everyone is allowed their off days. You have a loyal customer who you have adequately compensated for (probably even more than needed) and if you explain to her that you aren't well..she will understand. Secondly, you need to cut your hours...have alone time as your burning yourself out. Recently on these forums I talked about having two jobs working way to much but feeling like i had no choice...the reality is i did and you do too. It's just whatever way u look at it. Yes we need money but what's the point in earning money when your too sick to enjoy it or time with family. If you have had 10 clients today and you are busy...this clearly means your good at what you do because ppl are returning...and they will return when you reduce your hours too. They will work around you...stop ALWAYS working around others. Meet them in the middle, there needs to be a compromise. Today is done, draw a lone under it....forget about your towels until tomorrow..put then out of sight. Spend time with your family and relax

Firstly I think it's great that your busy but you need time for yourself. Stick to your business hours, if your busy, your busy And they'll have to choose another day.
Or up your prices, if the odd client leaves you'll have a bit of extra time and you'll be better off!
Secondly next week is a new week, chill out this weekend and start again Tuesday :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sounds like you need a holiday, I know I'm feeling unusually tired as I put a lot into my treatments, as I want the best for my clients as you do. Take a break, everyone will understand, they will come back, and when you restart, make a plan to pace yourself so you don't burn yourself out, otherwise you're no good to anyone. :hug:

She didn't know I was unwell as I hid it! I dosed myself up on over the counter meds and throat sweets!
I'll feel like I'm moaning or making excuses if I say anything to her about it now. (Would you?)
I just hope she gives me another chance past the correction treatments next week!

I think for the sake of my reputation in future I'd be better:
1) not over working myself!
2) cancelling appointments if I'm unwell to save myself from doing a poor job!

Have a rest and look at this again tomorrow. Maybe you could take some time to have a chat with your partner and put some ideas in place for when this might happen again. Those are very long hours, and I appreciate that building a business, you need to make hay whilst the sun shines, but you might need to rethink what days/times you are offering. Do you cross out time for lunch?

What you need to remember is that if you are a perfectionist, your 80% might still as good as someone elses 100%. I'm sure your treatments were fine, maybe you could mention to those people that came in this week that you felt a bit tired and you could treat them to a little something on their next appointment. Get some cupcakes in or something.

I too have been working/college 6 days a week for this last year. I am definitely feeling the strain now and I'm so glad to be finished. OH has supported me through out but we've both had enough. I want a bit of my life back too.

How soon do you have to decide on the lease? And have you thought of taking someone on?

:hug:

Sending a hug honey! Don't beat yourself up! You obviously work very hard and care about your clients xxx how about having an afternoon off to rest and spend time with loved ones? I'm sure the world won't fall apart? Xxx

Or up your prices, if the odd client leaves you'll have a bit of extra time and you'll be better off!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Exactly what I was thinking! You're obviously in demand so milk it. :wink2:

You KNOW you normally do a good job, don't blow this out of proportion (easy to do when you're under the weather and worn out). Ring her up when you feel a bit better just to say an additional thank you and explain how rotten you've felt - she's already having discounted treatments so no need to go overboard, but if you chat when you actually have a few minutes to explain properly you might feel better.

As for the massage though, there's no guarantee that it's going to make you feel better is there? I mean, I'm only speaking from the clients point of view (as I'm a nail tech) but when I've had massages, sometimes they hit the spot and sometimes they don't and that's just how it is so surely she can't be too demanding? Was it a sports massage? Even so, I've still found them sometimes better than at other times, even with the same person.

:hug::hug::hug

Hi. Didn't want to read and run but you really need to look after yourself. I speak from experience. Last year I ended up in surgery 4 times due to the stress of my manic business. Believe me it's not worth it.
Cut your hours, maybe put up your prices slightly, you may lose a few clients but you will earn the same. That's what I did, I don't work beyond 8pm anymore and ALWAYS have 2 days off a week. I'm much happier and MUCH healthier.
Big hugs xx

Thanks for the advice ch-ela!

"Do you cross out time for lunch?"
No I haven't been, back to back clients for the last 2 weeks, 9am-9pm. My routine is treatment, tidy the room, treatment-repeat! I'm lucky if I get to go toilet! Lol.
I have breakfast and then normally eat again when I get home!
This will be changing!!!

"maybe you could mention to those people that came in this week that you felt a bit tired and you could treat them to a little something on their next appointment. Get some cupcakes in or something."
I think (hope) it was mainly today, I knew in myself I wasn't performing well... I should have just shut up shop then!
I have since posted on Facebook that I am poorly hoping that clients may see it and put 2 and 2 together!
Clients from today I may offer them something!

"How soon do you have to decide on the lease?"
I have until Thursday- stressful!

"And have you thought of taking someone on?"
If I get my own shop then yes! But currently I only have one room so not sure how someone else could help.

Thanks again x

Thanks blossom!

My prices are competitive to other salons in the area!

I will ring the lady in question next week when I'm not so emotional, worn out and feeling poorly!

As for the massage, no there isn't a guarantee but she has alway felt better after I have given her one! It's not sports but deep tissue massage.
I'm hoping she feels better tomorrow but the way her texts read, she really upset and disappointed by my service today so I don't fancy texting her tomorrow to find out! Chicken I know!!

I'm really hoping the situation doesn't look so horrid tomorrow.

Thanks again x

What is your gut feeling?

I thought as I am a hard working & determined person I could make it work! But after today and running myself into the ground from working too hard, I'm wondering if in fact I can do it!

1) If I work as hard as I have been I'll make myself poorly or worse alienate my family & friends!
2) If I don't work so hard will it be successful?! -
Was hoping that if I hired an apprentice then I could perhaps spread some of the work load, train them as I like things done and an apprentice will save me from a huge wage overhead!
If they work well and hard I will reward (commission) them accordingly, that would only be fair.

Guess I have 4 days to try and work all this out, just wish I wasn't feeling so bad!

Thank you for taking the time to reply, it has meant a lot to me this evening :)

I thought as I am a hard working & determined person I could make it work! But after today and running myself into the ground from working too hard, I'm wondering if in fact I can do it!

1) If I work as hard as I have been I'll make myself poorly or worse alienate my family & friends!
2) If I don't work so hard will it be successful?! -
Was hoping that if I hired an apprentice then I could perhaps spread some of the work load, train them as I like things done and an apprentice will save me from a huge wage overhead!
If they work well and hard I will reward (commission) them accordingly, that would only be fair.

Guess I have 4 days to try and work all this out, just wish I wasn't feeling so bad!

It does sound good to me, but there are lots of other things that you need to take into consideration, like the age of your children, your partners career and where that is going (can he hold the fort at home in your busiest times).

I would leave it in the hands of the angels and ask them for a sign, if it were me. Then get some rest. I appreciate that's not everyones beliefs though.

:hug:

Your going to make yourself ill! Then you will be of no use to anyone!

Stop being so harsh on yourself, if you wasnt poorly and so tired you may still have missed them today but probably wouldnt have felt so bad, maybe its fate telling you to slow down

Your compensationing your client very genorously and i think she will be happy next week when she can get to you, i know its a late reply but im hoping you had a hot soak some good cuddles with your partner and a deep breath, im sure you will be fine tomorrow..

Massive hugs to you xxxx

Just an idea. Can you change your hours to 9-3 and then 6-9 for the evening lot. That will give you 3 hours in the day to spend with your little one, cook them dinner etc. and have a rest. You honestly need to reduce your hours. Clients will adapt.

My husband started working away so I couldn't do evenings anymore due to childcare. Funnily enough all my evening clients adapted and I didn't lose one!

Just an idea. Can you change your hours to 9-3 and then 6-9 for the evening lot. That will give you 3 hours in the day to spend with your little one, cook them dinner etc. and have a rest. You honestly need to reduce your hours. Clients will adapt.

My husband started working away so I couldn't do evenings anymore due to childcare. Funnily enough all my evening clients adapted and I didn't lose one!

I like MMs idea!

Plus, could you pop your prices up a bit? It may put a couple of people off yet you still earn the same from remaining clients? Working less for the same money.

Xx

I really empathise with u as I have burnt myself out xx so take my advice ... Take time for yourself, for your family , pick and choose your clients your working times x I took sat off, tmw( hence why I'm still up!) thur, fri and sat this week And I can't wait! Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back