I really need a hug - sorry long!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feeling low after a stressfully busy week – sorry it’s long! But this is still the shortened version!

So for the last two weeks I have been extremely busy, great I hear you say! But... I work alone and on average I am working Tuesday-Friday 9am to 9pm and Saturday 9am -6pm, sometime the odd few hours on a Monday and some nights are later than 9pm...and all because my clients are going on holiday and are desperate for an appointment!

At the beginning of this week I noticed I had a sore throat, as the week progressed I have slowly developed a cold, aches and generally feeling really cr*p, but I have carried on regardless not wanting to let clients down.

Last night I got home at 11:45pm (Pamper Party), had a mountain of towels to wash & dry before finally flaking into bed at 1pm only to be up again at 6:30am drying the remaining towels and getting ready to go into work.

I was feeling awful and to be honest if I didn’t work for myself I would have called in SICK!

I considering myself a perfectionist and hate letting people down, but today I have done just that! My first client – A good loyal client that recommends me to others. I waxed her legs first, I remember checking that I hadn’t missed any hair down either side of her legs and then did a deep tissue massage, she suffers with really bad pain in her shoulders and neck. I worked the muscles deep but really struggled to get rid of the tension/knots this time, she mentioned when leaving that it didn’t really feel any better, I thought maybe as we had gone deep that it could be that pain, but I didn’t really get to chat as my next clients was already waiting on the couch.

Around lunch time she texted to say that it really didn’t feel better. I didn’t read the message until I left work at 6pm but feeling awful about her disappointment I texted back to apologies and advise that the tension might be out of my scope and that she should perhaps contact a chiropractor, I offered a half price massage next week and if that didn’t help then she really needed to seek further help/advice.

The about an hour ago she text with a photo of the back of her calves showing that there was still hair (tbh there is!) I am so disappointment with myself... I have never done such a bad job; she even mentioned that she was disappointment! I asked when she could next get back into the salon but she said next week... I again apologised and this time said there would be no charge for any of her treatments next week.

I’m lucky that this lady felt she could contact me to let me know, I have seen about 10 clients today and now doubting the work I have done on them.

I can only image that I have exhausted myself, causing myself to become run down which has made me ill... but by not wanting to disappoint clients for cancelling their appointments (God knows when I would have been able to fit them back in!) I have disappointed a very good client by doing a poor job!

I am missing out on my family! (My partner, our 3years daughter and 14 year old son)

And to top it off I am just about to sign a lease agreement for my very own salon (currently renting a room inside a hair salon).

I’m now wondering if I can come back from this, I feel terrible disappointed with myself, very upset... and I’m wondering if I am cut out for this and my own salon!

Sorry for the long rant....

So you've had a bad day... happens to the best of us. I wouldn't worry, yes it would bug me if i was your client, but if you're offering to fix it all free of charge she'll soon forget. She could tell you're unwell if she's been coming a long time, and the work you've done in the past will still go before you. Just be extra careful with this client from now on, as you have one strike on your card. As a client, i'd give my therapists 2 opportunities over a reasonable time frame, on the third time then i'd move. :)

Update: it's a new day and after a early night Saturday and a good rest yesterday I am now feeling a lot better- although perhaps a little silly and embarrassed!

When I re-read my original post it's hard to believe that it was me that wrote it... Goes to show how bad I'd let things get on top of me last week!

I am going to take it as an experience to learn from.

Thanks everyone x

That's great xx glad ur feeling better x

Update: it's a new day and after a early night Saturday and a good rest yesterday I am now feeling a lot better- although perhaps a little silly and embarrassed!

When I re-read my original post it's hard to believe that it was me that wrote it... Goes to show how bad I'd let things get on top of me last week!

I am going to take it as an experience to learn from.

Thanks everyone x

Glad your feeling better at the end of the day your human too ;) x

Latest posts

Back