i should know this! dermatitis + facial?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linzwee

Ice Hockey Geek
Reaction score
Ok, i'm having a brain block!! i'm doing a pamper party at the end of the month, alot of people are having facials. The host has queried me as one of her friends wants a facial but she has had dermatitis. but apparently its nearly all cleared up. I asked what type of dermatitis it was but she didnt know. Can peeps give me an idea of if this lady can have a facial without me running into the loft to find my books. Obivously i know that if the skin is broken etc i cant work on it. btw i use eve taylor products.

Sometimes i feel so crap as i cant think straight off the top of my head if i can perform a treatment or not... please confirm that i'm not alone :cry:

Linzie,

You need to be very careful with this one. The first thing you should do is establish what is causing the dermatitis, as this is most commonly an allergic reaction.

She could be allergic to any number of things, from skincare products, to rubber gloves. You need to refer her to a GP to get to the bottom of it, as any facial could cause more problems for her.

I would speak to the client herself first. Confirm if it is definetly dermatitis & what type ? Also is she on any medication or is she using any special skincare products, eg. unfragranced.

I thought i had psoriasis on my neck and scalp, when i got it diagnosed it was actually seborrheic deramtitis so if your client isn't sure refer her to gp.

hi most definately not you mioght make it flare up again i would ask the hostess to ask her friend to have it in writing or give her a letter for her doctor to say its ok for you to treat. i wouls offer her some thing else like a manicure

No i must say i wouldn't do her a facial id be worried it would flare up again or irritate. Essential oils as used in eve taylor can be just as irritating to skin as other perfumes.She needs to know what it is that is causing it.

I would say that it would very much depend on the skins condition at the time of the facial.

I would try to do a patch test with whatever products you were going to use 24 hrs before she was due to have her facial.Obviously if she was having an outbreak then I would avoid altogether.Try to use hypo-allergenic products.

If there is only a little area then maybe you could just try avoiding.I suffer with eczema on my eye area but not all the time,I would be most upset if I could never have any facial treatments because of this.

I know eczema and dermatitis are caused by different things but as long as there were no signs of a breakout at the time and all necessary precautions were taken then I would see.

I dont think you will get a Dr's note in this case because in all honesty how is he to know what may or may not cause a flare up?A lot of the time Doctors just have not got the time to be writing consent forms anyway,I know from experience with some of my clients.

I would get client to sign disclaimer though if you do decide to go ahead.HTH

Thanks peeps! I do get confused with all the different contra indications at times, i'll talk to the hostess xxx

Latest posts

Back