I think I have MMA nails, now what?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justrose

Reaction score
Hello,
Before I begin I just want to say I am new to this site and I am new to acrylics. I am NOT a professional by any means. I have attempted acrylics multiple times myself but with awful results. I am planning on going to beauty school to learn how to do them properly after high school.

I decided to go to a salon to get them done and I thought they looked pretty good. I noticed some of their procedures were a bit off. They used an e-file on my natural nails, didn't seem to sanitize my nails beforehand, and I could not see the brand of the monomer.
I pay about $28 for a full set and about $22 for a fill. I have had them for about a month and a half now.

Anyways, One of my acrylics cracked so I just decided to remove the whole nail so I could just get it replaced a few days later. I soaked it in acetone and tried to scrape it off but it was gummy and stringy. It took me an hour just to remove half of a pinky nail.

My nail underneath hurts and is very sensitive and thin. It has some white dent spots as well. It almost feels numb. When I file them, it smells like fish.

Are these most likely MMA? I didn't know about MMA until recently but now I am scared that is what I got. I was so excited about them too! I don't know what to do about it. How do I remove them? It will take forever with acetone. Should I just buy an E-file and file them off myself? Or should I go to a new salon to fix them for me?

I'm sorry you had a potentially bad experience :confused: If it smells really bad (like cat pee?) when you tried to soak them and they wouldn't budge, then there is a chance you have MMA on your fingers. Getting your nails prepped for enhancement should never hurt, so if you had a painful experience with the prepping of your natural nail, then you should consider not returning there. As for removal, I don't at all support the idea of you purchasing an e-file to remove them yourself. You'd most likely damage your own nails and cuticles (due to lack of e-file training). It's also an expensive tool, so I don't see why that would be an option, when you can just go to a (different) salon to get them professionally removed for a much smaller cost. :)
Keep in mind though, when you go to a new salon with your nails, and especially when they are likely MMA, they most likely won't do an infill on those nails. Therefore, if you wanted them "fixed" at a new salon, they'd want to remove them and apply a completely new set.;) I don't know much about prices outside the country I live, but if it's USA, then 28 USD seems really low for new set. I thought 60+ was more a decent price over there?

I'm sorry you had a potentially bad experience :confused: If it smells really bad (like cat pee?) when you tried to soak them and they wouldn't budge, then there is a chance you have MMA on your fingers. Getting your nails prepped for enhancement should never hurt, so if you had a painful experience with the prepping of your natural nail, then you should consider not returning there. As for removal, I don't at all support the idea of you purchasing an e-file to remove them yourself. You'd most likely damage your own nails and cuticles (due to lack of e-file training). It's also an expensive tool, so I don't see why that would be an option, when you can just go to a (different) salon to get them professionally removed for a much smaller cost. :)
Keep in mind though, when you go to a new salon with your nails, and especially when they are likely MMA, they most likely won't do an infill on those nails. Therefore, if you wanted them "fixed" at a new salon, they'd want to remove them and apply a completely new set.;) I don't know much about prices outside the country I live, but if it's USA, then 28 USD seems really low for new set. I thought 60+ was more a decent price over there?

It does smell kind of like pee. I have never had a cat but it has this fishy, stinky odor. I don't think I will be returning to that place. Thank you for the advice! I won't try to take them off myself. I'll have to find a better salon since it seems to be worth the extra money. I've learned my lesson. I am almost 100% sure this is MMA :(

Latest posts

Back