I think I'd like to compete......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautiful_nails

Reaction score
Can anyone offer advice on how I go about this? What it entails etc, is it a good way to pick up advice and improve your skills? Where do I start?

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

Jules

Hi ya Jules,
First yes Competing is the best way to pick up advice from some of the top people in our industry........... They are the ones that will be looking at your created nails and will be judging them on look and skill................
Here is a link to a score sheet, this will explain what is being judged...........
These are the criteria's you are being judged on...............http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4165
Where do you start......find that model with the best nail plates and hands.... Then you phone for a competition entry form.........Then get your kit together.....lamps, extension cable, bin aso a complete salon desk set up on the day...Then you practice to get that perfect look by your standards............... then when the judges have looked at them, you will know if they where prefect by their standards......

I guarantee that your nails will improve ......... you will become more sharper eyed.......... you will look at a nail in a 3D way.........
HTH

hiya jules
ditto to all that ruth said.
also, a big no-no in competing is to NOT try something new when youre sitting there competing.
if you want to try something new, practise it a few times before hand.
same with your model, if poss, pick someone with undamaged nail plates, & have a practise run at least once.
some peoples "c" curves are slightly twisted, & you don't need to find that out on the day!
if you get yourself organised quickly enough, you've got 2 comps to look forward to.
excell is on sun. 5th (i think!) september, then manchester is around 11th oct(again, check the exact date).
if you compete at excell, you will b able to examine your score sheet b4 entering at manchester.
good luck, u won't reget it
liza x

That link to a scoresheet is really handy - thanks!

I'm also thinking about competing in the future.
How experienced / what standard do you need to be?
I know there's a novice catergory coming up in a comp in Feb 05, do all competitions have this category?

Hi ya babe,
The novice category means novice in competing not novice in nails .................
The novice category inludes all systems, but once you have placed higher then 7th you are not a novice anymore, well that was last year............... might be different this year................
The novice category is a gentle introduction into Competing lol.......................
The scoresheets are exactly the same for all categorys newbies or oldies.............
Every competition has a novice section, including this year at Excel............
They might rename it and call it , new comers, virgins or such a like........

It helps if you have a good understanding about how a good nail should look like, apex, arches and such, but you learn on the way like most of us......... and I am still learning!!!!!!!

Right must dash................ a girl has to work...............
HTH

Thanks guys! You are all soooooooooo helpful :)
I'm off to try and find that perfect hand model now......... Do you get marked on the quality of the nails or the quality of your model's hands?

Jules x

Mmmmmmm........ would I be able to take a look round a competition to see what the set-up is or do they only let competitors in?
Thx
Jules x

You don't get marked on the models hands but it helps a great deal if you have amodel with fab nails, long nail beds and cuticles to die for............
You then have the canvass for a beautiful set of nails...............
So don't choose a nail biter......choose a model that has great nails even without enhancements, someone that has a beautiful natural apex...........

You can usualy view the competitors at work, either there will be a viewing window or a door is left open...............
HTH

Latest posts

Back