i think i'm going to be sued.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodabubble

Reaction score
done a couple of massages on client x, the most recent one being a swedish about 3 weeks ago. I just got a phone call from my emplyoer who says that client x has been in touch with trading standards as she is a pro massager and i (apparantly) dont know what the **** i am doing! both times i have seen her i have done thorough consultations, and as far as I am aware shes a landscape gardener! that last time she visited me after the treatment was over she threw her arms around me and gave me a kiss and a tip! yes, she is a big lady, very tall and i did the massage as firm as I could, although i did ask her what sort of pressure she liked during the consultation, and asked her if the pressure was ok during the treatment.

i just feel like giving up and shriveling away....:cry:

ow dont do that hun.....why not call the lady and ask whats going on???....espically as the last time she flung her arms around you and gave a tip??

why is her employer calling you aswell???...should ,nt it be trading standards or client x herself.....something is fishy here.

What exactly did the client say were you doing incorrectly?

It all sounds as if the client is trying to pull a fast one to me. What is the client actually asking for - compensation or is the client saying you caused some damage? if you are employed then it would be your employers insurance that is liable and not yours, and I would expect to see some support from your employers if this was the case.

How long have you been there?

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to make contact with the client... tell your employer exactly what happened during her last two treatments and leave them to sort it out for you.

Try not to let it worry you, easier said than done though :hug:

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to make contact with the client... tell your employer exactly what happened during her last two treatments and leave them to sort it out for you.

Try not to let it worry you, easier said than done though :hug:

Well put, Sandi.

I'd put it in writing and give it to your employer, that way there is a written record too while it's still fairly fresh in your mind.

Keep your chin up!

i have been there since start of april, i think my employers are pretty cross with me, but i dont know what to do! trading standards have been in touch with my employers today, and they have just rang me to let me know whats going on. apparantly my routine was awful, but i have no idea why?! I was only doing the routine that I have been taught......i dont get it, im so upset, i am shaking, i handed my notice in there and then on the phone.

why dont clients think before they act?

i handed my notice in there and then on the phone.
aww sweetheart, I wish you hadn't have done that... if I were your employer I'd have seen that as an act of guilt.

Did you tell your employer everything that had happened between yourself and the client?
ie the tip, hug, kiss etc

Did your employer say what the client actually wanted her/him to do about it? I would arrange to go back in and see your employer to go through exactly what happened. What did your employer say about you handing your notice in?

As I say you cant personally be sued if you were employed. I dont think your employer/ex employer is being fair to you by telling you what was poor about your procedure.

Here is a :hug: for you.

Oh you poor thing! :hug::hug:

What I don't quite get though is why she left it for so long before complaining? Why go straight to the trading standards and not come back to you and your employer? You need to find out what was so "wrong" with your massage for her to go to those extremes. Maybe you could go in and speak to your employer, possibly even do a massage on her so she could give you some pointers.

Please don't let this destroy your confidence (easier said than done I know).

Hun please try not to be upset

Just because she is making a complaint against you does not mean that you did anything wrong or in fact the complaint will be upheld

I can imagine how much this has upset you :hug:

Hopefully it will turn out to be a storm in a tea cup

I was taught to massage fronts of legs, abdomen, arms, decollete and shoulders, turn the client over, do backs of legs and then finish with the back... but a friend of mine who is a massage therapist always starts with the back ??

So let's hope it turns out to be a simple misunderstanding

It's great that she seemed happy at the time and tipped you

There are some nutty people out there

Like I said, just because she has complained, it doesn't mean the complaint will be upheld

Try to get back on the horse so to speak :hug:

aww sweetheart, I wish you hadn't have done that... if I were your employer I'd have seen that as an act of guilt.

Did you tell your employer everything that had happened between yourself and the client?
ie the tip, hug, kiss etc

dont hand in notice as you look gulity and you aint
poor you hun....go back to the employer and sit down and ask what trading standards have said.....your employer has not had problems with you before so why has this client acting up.....the mind boggles..i am going to pm you better hun :hug::hug:xx

Hi Hun.
It sounds to me as if none of them know what they are talking about.
Dont worry about it.
They cant sue you just because in her opinion you dont know what you are doing. To sue you , she has to have a permanent injury or permanent scarring. You have got to have caused permanent damage.

You havent done anything wrong babes so dont worry about it . I would refuse to liase with the employer.
You are a professional. As long as you are qualified to carry out the treatment, and have a certificate to prove it, then dont worry.

I doubt they have contacted the trading standards.

Just act professionally and defend your corner.

xxxx:hug:

ah.. hun:hug: you cant please everyone 100% of the time, as long as you know you tried your best, i dont understand how they can sue you if you havent caused any injury. you cant be sued for doing a rubbish massage routine thats hilarious. really dont worry about it. shame you handed your notice in, you should have rode it out, they may refuse a reference to any future employers. why dont you go for a massage somewhere reputable and take note of the differences between your treatment and there's. it may put your mind at rest or encourage you to look at bettering (is that a word?)your treatment. good luck:hug:

what i don't get is if it was so bad why did she let you complete the treatment?

how come she said nothing afterwards, espceially as its not her first massage from you?

i think you need to explain the full story to your employer so they hear your side of things

call me a cynic but it sounds a bit dodgy to me

keep smiling hun

i just dont know what was wrong with it! i did the routine as i was taught, my employers are not therapists, so they wouldnt really be able to help me much. i take your point about seeing it as an act of guilt, but i panicked and felt so shocked and betrayed. massages are like curries - hundreds of different ways of doing it, some better than others, but not always right or wrong. in a way i do feel guilty for being so rubbish, but i didnt know i was rubbish so its not like i have done it on purpose, i was assessed twice at college for my routine, once was on the actual dean of department, and was closely watched by my tutor before being passed.
i studied the routine for 18 weeks before going in for assessment, and had already passed my anatomy & phys so.....i dont know! feel very low atm

I would contact your employer back to ask all the questions that are on this thread.

You cannot be liable for this and for your own sanity you need to find out more information from your employer about the so called visit form the trading standards.

I wish I was closer as I would come with you :hug:

Hun you need to get back on the horse, please don't let her ruin things for you :hug:

i just dont know what was wrong with it! i did the routine as i was taught, my employers are not therapists, so they wouldnt really be able to help me much. i take your point about seeing it as an act of guilt, but i panicked and felt so shocked and betrayed. massages are like curries - hundreds of different ways of doing it, some better than others, but not always right or wrong. in a way i do feel guilty for being so rubbish, but i didnt know i was rubbish so its not like i have done it on purpose, i was assessed twice at college for my routine, once was on the actual dean of department, and was closely watched by my tutor before being passed.
i studied the routine for 18 weeks before going in for assessment, and had already passed my anatomy & phys so.....i dont know! feel very low atm

i totally understand why you handed your notice in....why not...when your calm, phone your employers and ask if you can come for chat...they most probably accepted your notice as they were in shock aswell.....tell them it looked bad but you were upset....also tell them you passed with flying colours and have had NO problems before...this is how you trained....you would not lose nothing and also you would feel better about talking it through xxxx

theres no going back now...my job is already advertised on the net! and this only happened half hour ago! but seriously, fate works in mysterious ways, and this is the kick up the bum i needed to go mobile.

oey - i wished you were closer too, could do with someone smart to stick up for me! i am very upset that this lady has done this, but i will also go for a massage somewhere else to see what differences there are in the routines. i wont lie and say my confidence hasnt been hit hard - because it has.

i just hope and pray that my employers will be civil to me when i go into work tomorrow, as i feel a bit fragile, and if theres an atmosphere or harsh words i may just turn into a sobbing wreck

thanks for all of your advice everyone:hug:

theres no going back now...my job is already advertised on the net! and this only happened half hour ago! but seriously, fate works in mysterious ways, and this is the kick up the bum i needed to go mobile.

oey - i wished you were closer too, could do with someone smart to stick up for me! i am very upset that this lady has done this, but i will also go for a massage somewhere else to see what differences there are in the routines. i wont lie and say my confidence hasnt been hit hard - because it has.

i just hope and pray that my employers will be civil to me when i go into work tomorrow, as i feel a bit fragile, and if theres an atmosphere or harsh words i may just turn into a sobbing wreck

thanks for all of your advice everyone:hug:

if they are nasty hun ...then just leave sometimes you have to make sacrifises to be happy....hope our pm,s have helped huni...pm anytime i mean it...KEEP YOUR CHIN UP xx

Latest posts

Back