I think I've got an allergy....

#1
Hi,

I only started training to become a nail tech at the beginning of July, and I think I've got an allergy to one of the products :cry:

I'm using the Attraction Acrylic range from NSI, and to start with, I was absolutely fine, but for the past few days I've had major itching on 2 fingers on my left hand and little tiny lumps have appeared on them. I've just soaked off the acrylic that I had on them, so I'll see if it clears up, but I'm totally devastated.. It's strange as I'm right-handed and can't think of anything that I do with my left hand, apart from holding the clients finger....My right-hand is fine and isn't showing any signs of an allergy.

Is this likely to mean that I can't wear acrylic nails myself? I'm gonna get some gloves for when I'm working on clients, but will be really gutted if I can't have nice nails myself!


Laura xx
 

christine.t

Beauty School NI
#2
If it is an allergy hun you could try hypo-allergenic products such as CND xx
 

#3
I have an allergy to but am not quite sure what it is. Im using calgel and know im definately allergic to the gel if it gets on my skin. But I also have serious itching and cracked fingers on two on my left hand(am also right handed). I dont know whether it the cleanser or the anti bac I use. I/ve been wearing gloves and it seems to aggrivate it. The dr said it is an allergy and I've been using hydrocortizone cream. It has cleared up a bit through taking precautions and I am able to wear the gel on my nails. Sorry I cant be of more help but know how you feel:irked:
 

#4
I know it might sound a bit daft but could the dust from filing cause an allergy on my fingers?

I've literally just started prepping the 2 nails that I soaked earlier...
Sprayed on sanitize, etched the nails, wiped with Nail Pure Plus, applied primer, and then sized up the tips. I then had to file the corners of the tips as they were slightly too big, and that's when I noticed my fingers had started to tingle. I've got a brand new nail file out, and will continue to put the tips on, apply the acrylic and finish, but is it a possibility that it was the nail file?


Laura xx
 

#5
Hi Laura,

The exact same happened to me with this product when I was training. It is probably the attraction monomer liquid, as when training it's difficult to get the liquid to powder ratio correct, which can result in the liquid seeping onto your skin around your finger when you / or whoever is using your hands to practice on, places the bead of acrylic on the nail bed.

I was fine with it for weeks, then after a certain amount of overexposure, I developed red, itchy fingers, tiny bumps and asked my tutor who said it was basically dermatisis caused by the product flooding the nail bed and surrounding area.

Also when filing if you get the acrylic dust on you, then the same reaction will more than likely happen and have the same nasty effect.

Hydro-cortisone cream from your doctor or the pharmacy should help with the itching and broken skin, and you will need to wear nitrile gloves whenever you are working with the acrylic.

I think it's a shame that the hazards of overexposure are not clearly explained from the start when you are training, it certainly wasn't explained at my course, and looks like it hasn't been explained at yours either unfortunately. :-(

Julie x
 

An*Gel

Well-Known Member
#6
Maybe it's the primer?

Or could you have put your hand down on the pad where you were wiping your brush without realising?
 

#7
Maybe it's the primer?

Or could you have put your hand down on the pad where you were wiping your brush without realising?
It's only on my left hand, and I'm right-handed, so all of the products are on the right-hand side of my desk. I'm convinced it's the dust, so think I'll have to invest in some kind of dust extraction device!!!

Laura xx
 

#8
I know it might sound a bit daft but could the dust from filing cause an allergy on my fingers?

I've literally just started prepping the 2 nails that I soaked earlier...
Sprayed on sanitize, etched the nails, wiped with Nail Pure Plus, applied primer, and then sized up the tips. I then had to file the corners of the tips as they were slightly too big, and that's when I noticed my fingers had started to tingle. I've got a brand new nail file out, and will continue to put the tips on, apply the acrylic and finish, but is it a possibility that it was the nail file?


Laura xx
I was just reading this....when you etch the nails you should brush dust off, then place your tips..then wipe with nail pure plus and then primer.

:) :hug:
 

#9
sounds like over exposure to me, I got this when I was training, monomer on my hands, there is no cure for this, you can still have enhancements but must keep all filing dust to a minimum on your hands don't forget that acrylic continues to cure for at least 12hrs, when doing clients nails wear gloves, you can ease the condition with a dermatoligic cream, but like I say there is no cure, make sure you keep your hands away from the monomer and the towel you wipe your brush on, clean all dust from your fingers and table as soon as you have finished, I have found that making this a religion that I have kept quite free of the condition, but still get it now and then.
 

#11
Hi,

:smack: Theres light at the end of the tunnel.The same thing happened to me about two years ago my hands ended up a real mess just being around my desk was enough to start the itch .I had to wear latex free gloves and bandages on my wrists after a few months the itch disappeared and guess what I can now work without the gloves and bandages. I pray it never comes back again but I have been told this can reoccur. No matter what cream or tablets I tried nothing worked except covering my hands and wrists at all times. Hope this helps, good luck.

Nailsnaturally
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
#12
Perhaps you have that nasty little habit of using those two fingers to make a point on your brush after cleaning it and before putting it away??? This is a classic cause of allergy on those two fingers and I'd bet money it is what you have got into a habit of doing. Seen it hundreds of times and always warn students on day one of the CND Foundation training that they should never do this along with a list of other hazards they should avoid .. can't believe that no one has offered this as a suggestion as to how you have overexposed yourself.
 
Top