I want a pink tint in my hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trixy_20

Reaction score
I am going to cosmetology school but I really don't know how to do this. I want to have a pink tint in my hair and I am not sure how to do it? I have black hair and I want it to look pink in the light I don't want a weave or anything like that. Anything will help.

Do you mean a vivid pink tint or a colour with a pinky tone? Also is your black hair nat. or coloured?

Normally you would pre-lighten the hair and then once the hair is sufficently light put on a temp. fashion colour of your choice, in your case pink, if its a vivid pink you are going for. (like a slice or block colour)

There is already a thread going about pink hair here somewhere!

No I want a pinky tone. I have already had the blocks in my hair. I want it to just show up when I am in the light. The black is not natural it is colored.

No I want a pinky tone. I have already had the blocks in my hair. I want it to just show up when I am in the light. The black is not natural it is colored.

Hi trixy , and welcome to salon geek
click on and take a peek at this thread :hug:

Pink in my hair? (
multipage.gif
1 2)

Would a pre lightener still give me that look where it is black when its not in the light and pink when shining in light. If you know what I am talking about lol. I have the picture in my head I just dont really know how to explain it. I am not very far into beauty school so I still have MUCH to learn.

Would a pre lightener still give me that look where it is black when its not in the light and pink when shining in light. If you know what I am talking about lol. I have the picture in my head I just dont really know how to explain it. I am not very far into beauty school so I still have MUCH to learn.

Hi there correct me if I am wrong ,
You have dark coloured hair ?
and you want a pink glint to your dark hair when the light catches it ?

If your hair is in good condition and it hasn't had the dark colour taken over the ends too much,
Then this is what you could ask your stylist to do ,
( but first do test pieces to see if you like it ,
it will also show the condition and see if it is achievable)

You could have some very fine pieces of hair pulled through a cap depending on the thickness of your hair ,
The thinner the hair the finer and fewer they need to be pulled through,

Then apply Maji contrast in Magenta rouge it turns ( hot Fuchsia pink) it needs no pre lightening as this is already built in it ,
your stylist will assess your hair to see what volume of peroxide you will need .

I like to use 6% /20 vol because Maji contrast already has lightening power built in and 6% has more holding power on a natural base but as your hair is coloured you may need the volume of the peroxide staggered to a higher strength on the mid lengths and ends of the hair ,

This is where the test pieces come in handy ,
as your hairdresser will know where the higher peroxide strengths need to be placed to get an even lift along the hair lengths.

You can also use a spatula method too do this but ( remember less is more)
with the spatula method you take a very fine veil of hair on the top sections of your hair depending again on the thickness of your hair ,
and put on the maji contrast using the spatula ,
leave till visual development takes place ,
shampoo with the reccomended brands of shampoo and conditioner ,

This should achieve the look you are after with no pre lightening

But a word of warning I have seen girls hair dyed so black on the ends of the hair
that even dynamite wouldnt shift it :eek: LOL

anyways , good luck let us know how you go on , :hug: minky x

Then apply Maji contrast in Magenta rouge it turns ( hot Fuchsia pink) it needs no pre lightening as this is already built in it ,
hey Minky, Does this also Lift on tinted hair as vibrant??? Even Black??? :) Will have to search this one out, is it a big range (havnt had much to with l'oreal for a few years!)

Hey trixy,

I think I know what you mean. You want it to be black but to have an underlying tone of pink. I dont know of a black witha pink tone in but Schwarzkopf do a 1/9 which is black with a violet tone, it is a gorge colour. Sorry I can be any more help :(

She wants a "shimmer " of pink , when the light hits it just right , you will be able to see a shimmer of pink.
I would suggest just going over the black with a pink toner (semi color) to see if the hair will pick it up subtley (is that a word? LOL)

Well I think when I get the money I will take it to a professional but jds is right I want it to be a "shimmer" of pink. Maybe I will even try the toner any suggestions on what brand or anything? I dont really have a lot of money so it will have to be somewhat cheap but also work well.

Best to get it done by a professional. It shouldn't cost that much because you aren't getting any highlighting done. Just a semi color over the top of your hair.
The stylist will know by looking at the porosity of your hair if it can be done.

hey Minky, Does this also Lift on tinted hair as vibrant??? Even Black??? :) Will have to search this one out, is it a big range (havnt had much to with l'oreal for a few years!)

Hey trixy,

I think I know what you mean. You want it to be black but to have an underlying tone of pink. I dont know of a black witha pink tone in but Schwarzkopf do a 1/9 which is black with a violet tone, it is a gorge colour. Sorry I can be any more help :(

Hi Trixie Sorry to hijack your thread a bit hope you wont mind :hug: minky x

Hi there sophisticutz the Schwarzkopf sounds gorgeous ,
It is so interesting the way we all use different brands , I love finding things out about them all but there are so many, ,
I thought I knew most brands but there are some in the USA that I have never even heard of :eek:

Anyway back to pink hair ,
Maji Contrast can be used on very dark bases including dark tinted bases ect ,
My experience using Maji contrast over dark natural bases seems to get the perfect results ,
plus there is no need to pre lighten at all , its a one step method, amazing stuff ,

On dark tinted hair , it really depends on how many times the client has gone over the ends of the hair with the dark tint or quasi semis .

Most of the time there is no problem as its on your own clients and you will know the history of their hair ,

( but you know what its like with clients that do home colorants ),
These clients will always require test pieces as the roots may produce fantastic results but the ends will not lift quite as much ,
In these circumstances I prefer a different method because to increase peroxide strength with the Maji Contrast may make the tone look drab and not hold as well,

Maji contrast has something in it where you get better results with a lower level of peroxide as the vibrant colour holds in better , it takes 15 mins with heat ,
and 30 mins without , (do not over process as it can go too light )
I tend to keep a watchfull eye on it as it can sometimes vary ,

It is only for partial off scalp techniques ,
they don't recommend it all over the head ,
the brightness of the pigment is amazing , (so sometimes less is more,)

the bright red one is just like pillar box red and weaving a few fine strands in very dark hair looks like shining ruby red , then when the light catches it is vibrant bright red, great stuff , give it a whirl

Colours come in
Red = bright red , which I love
Magenta red = hot fuschia pinky red ,
Pure Copper
Copper red
I may have made it sound over complicated , but it isn't it is so very easy ,
minky :hug: x

Hey Minky

So even over tinted hair (as dark as black) would it lift or deposit with only 6%? Schwarzkopf do a fashion range, you can lift tint, get your red/copper/violet by using 12% and is very vibrant, 6% in this range doesnt do much. I shall have to buy some and play :green:

Hey Minky

So even over tinted hair (as dark as black) would it lift or deposit with only 6%? Schwarzkopf do a fashion range, you can lift tint, get your red/copper/violet by using 12% and is very vibrant, 6% in this range doesnt do much. I shall have to buy some and play :green:
I'll second minky on the majicontrast- it even works on mannequin hair with 20 volume to get some great shades!

We also use VeroUltra Bleach by Joico, they have a red mahogany, red, copper, butterscotch, toffee and caramel. Fab for going over dark natural or tinted bases. It is a powder bleach- mix 1ounce (30ml) to 1 scoop and your off to the races- 15 under heat up to 45 room temp. It's easy to mix just enough for a foil or two and the toffee, caramel and butterscotch are nice mid range colors on Mexican , Native American or Asian hair with out having to tone.

Latest posts

Back